Sports Photography Forum

Share your sports photos and discuss sports photography techniques and issues. This forum is moderated by SmartWombat.
Featured Photo
Photo by Tumber

by Tumber
Featured Photo Archive >>

UMD (Minnesota-Duluth) Womens Hockey

Last night vs Minnesota-State Mankato

3. Definition of '5-hole'

MORE photos from last night's game, plus photos from tonight (Saturday 2/18) added after that game.
    EOS 7D, Canon 24-70F2.8, Sigma 70-200 F2.8 (with or without 1.4 Extender), and posting photos on my website: viewthroughmylens.net

Re: UMD (Minnesota-Duluth) Womens Hockey

These are well done shots. I especially like #5 and #6.

With all of that gear I would not immediately have recognized this as a women's match. It looks like a woman ref in #4. I'm curious whether the women get into big fights like the men players often do.

I've noticed that most of the hockey images I have observed on Internet forums were taken in Minnesota. Thee must be a lot of interest in hockey in that state.

In photo #1 the goalie looks way oversized, like she may be enlarged with much padding underneath the uniform. Is there any information you can supply about that? Also I can't recall seeing such colorful gear like all of the yellow stuff she is wearing. Is that specially designed for color-conscious women players?

The EXIF data is indicating a weird shutter speed, namely, 1/664. I have never seen that before.

I've noticed that in hockey photos the small puck is often difficult to locate, even when it has been captured in the scene. In #3 I think I spot it just above the hockey stick and going between the goalie's legs. If I were editing that image I would make a selection of the puck and darken it so that it is more readily discernible.

In these images I see the name Bauer all over the place. Are they a major manufacturer of hockey equipment?

From all of the questions I have asked you can no doubt tell that I'm not very familiar with the game of hockey. In fact, I've never seen a live hockey game. The games seem to be confined to the more frigid areas of the country.

Bob

Hi Bob,

Minnesota has dubbed itself "The state of hockey." It can boast it's the birthplace of the largest number of U.S. born professional hockey players. Having said that I can also attest that the warmer climates also have some very good ice hockey.

The goalie is very inflated they wear a chest protector that includes large pads that cover the arms and shoulder too. Think of what a catchers chest protector would look like if you put it on steroids. The pads are so bulky (but relatively light) that the goalie has a special cut jersey to be able to go over the pads.

The puck can reach speeds of 90-100mph the players 20-30mph (thus the challenge of shooting the sport).

Bauer, Easton, and Reebok are common manufacturer names in the sport .

You should look up some hockey in CA and shoot it with the work you have displayed I know it would be fantastic...but if you do be careful ice hockey is like a virus once you get it in your blood you can't get it out :-)

ivycreek,

Thanks for the hockey information from somebody who appears to have more than a casual interest in the game. However, you didn't indicate whether the women hockey players get in fights like the men!

I am not aware of any hockey played in my area of California and have never seen any mention of it in the local newspapers. Perhaps I should investigate. Sometimes you don't find out about things until you make a conscious effort to do so. I'm glad that I stumbled on to rugby about three years ago, whereupon I developed an instant liking for the game in spite of some aspects of the play that seem more than a little goofy.

Bob

College hockey doesn't allow for fighting .. players are suspended for it.. Womens' hockey has contact, but doesn't allow body checking, but there is still a lot of physical play and emotions get the best of players just like the men's game.
    EOS 7D, Canon 24-70F2.8, Sigma 70-200 F2.8 (with or without 1.4 Extender), and posting photos on my website: viewthroughmylens.net

By the way #12 is Haley Irwin.. Canadian Olympic gold medalist.. she hit the 200 career points mark at UMD.. her senior year is coming to a close in the next couple weeks with playoffs starting next weekend

Congarts on the feature. I know hockey may be the toughest sport to shoot for so many reasons. You nailed these. I particularly like the fact you got clear faces through the masks. Any tips on that? I always have issues with Lacrosse and football ie. getting the faces through the masks.
    Shal

Thread Information