Sports Photography Forum

Share your sports photos and discuss sports photography techniques and issues. This forum is moderated by SmartWombat.
Featured Photo
Photo by Tumber

by Tumber
Featured Photo Archive >>

Canmore Nordic Centerr Biathlon IBU Cup

Here are some pictures from the Biathlon IBU Cup
    E-520 Oly 40-150 Kit Lense
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Canmore Nordic Centerr  Biathlon IBU Cup-can01.jpg   Canmore Nordic Centerr  Biathlon IBU Cup-can03.jpg   Canmore Nordic Centerr  Biathlon IBU Cup-can04.jpg   Canmore Nordic Centerr  Biathlon IBU Cup-can08.jpg   Canmore Nordic Centerr  Biathlon IBU Cup-can05.jpg  

Re: Canmore Nordic Centerr Biathlon IBU Cup

I had to Google biathlon to refresh my memory as to what sport it refers to. (The only time I ever hear the word biathlon is during the Olympics!). It combines skiing and rifle shooting, but I don't know any of the details beyond that. Perhaps you could enlighten those of us who live in warmer climes so that we better understand what's taking place in these photos.

I like the colorful skiing outfits.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Bob32 View Post
    I had to Google biathlon to refresh my memory as to what sport it refers to. (The only time I ever hear the word biathlon is during the Olympics!). It combines skiing and rifle shooting, but I don't know any of the details beyond that. Perhaps you could enlighten those of us who live in warmer climes so that we better understand what's taking place in these photos.

I like the colorful skiing outfits.

Bob
    Hi Bob
    First off.
    I knew very little about Biathlon.
    The company I work for Sponsors Biathlon.
    They took all the employees ( 28 ) to Canmore for a day
    fir IBU Cup ( Tear 2 Biathlon ) Now I know a little

Picture 1 is the Start. The competes start approx 30 seconds apart
    Pictures 2 is the shooting after each lap. At standing position the target at 50 m is the size of a grapefruit.
    At prone position the target is the size if a silver dollar. Can you imagine holding a rifle still after 12 min of hard skiing 5 times ?
    Pictures 3 and 4 are shots skiing.
    Picture 5 is a picture of the first 4 competers Gold Siver Bronze and Almost ( LOL )

This is a good site about Biathlon
    Biathlon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Fred..

Fred,

Thanks for the followup info. Lucky you having the company take you to a sporting event!

Circa 1976 we took a vacation trip to the Canadian Rockies. I seem to recall going through or by Canmore on the way from Calgary to Banff. Is my geography recollection accurate? My son, 5 years old at the time, saw his first-ever snow at Lake Louise. I'm planning another similar trip later this year, probably in May, to travel from Calgary north to Jasper. I well remember how spectacular the scenery was along that route.

Bob

I think this is another first for the forum. Biathlon is an awesome sport! If shooting accurately wasn't hard enough, add heavy aerobic activity in between shooting and see how hard it is. It's all about great cardio fitness and control. I've actually been thinking about a mountain bike photographers biathlon for years. You'd have to ride the mountain bike and then "shoot" targets with long lenses

These look a bit overprocessed to me - almost HDR-like. I'm not a big fan of HDR in the first place and I don't think the look adds anything to these photos. In fact, I find it weird and distracting. I'm guessing you were trying to hold highlight detail in the snow?
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

Nice to see a new sport Fred, next time youŽll know more about the sport and that matters in getting good images.
    Like at the start get them leaning forward and pushing off as well as lining up ready, catch that timing lever being pushed by the front leg.
    Your closer shot #3 has more feel of action than the long shot #4, shame thee skier was too close and you almost missed the skis.
    I'd like to see the prone shooting as well as standing, to round out the set, youŽd have all of the action then.

John did you notice the photographer (yellow vest 63) is equipped for your photo-biathlon?
    I assume that IS would not be allowed
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Definitely no IS. That would be cheating
    Photo-John

Quote Originally Posted by Bob32
    Circa 1976 we took a vacation trip to the Canadian Rockies. I seem to recall going through or by Canmore on the way from Calgary to Banff. Is my geography recollection accurate?
    Yes Bob that is correct Calgary to Canmore about 60 miles Canmore to banff about 15miles Banff to jasper about 175 ,Miles ( Very Approx )

Quote Originally Posted by SmartWombat View Post
    Nice to see a new sport Fred, next time youŽll know more about the sport and that matters in getting good images.
    Like at the start get them leaning forward and pushing off as well as lining up ready, catch that timing lever being pushed by the front leg.
    Your closer shot #3 has more feel of action than the long shot #4, shame thee skier was too close and you almost missed the skis.
    I'd like to see the prone shooting as well as standing, to round out the set, youŽd have all of the action then.

John did you notice the photographer (yellow vest 63) is equipped for your photo-biathlon?
    I assume that IS would not be allowed
    This is my first Biathlon and out door sporting event.
    It just set my E-520 ISO 100 Shutter priority 1250 WB Auto and shoot like crazy.
    Is was VERY bright outside. As you can see in the photos
    These athletes move FAST
    Next Year I will be ready

More Pictures , some prone shots
    Thanks for looking
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Canmore Nordic Centerr  Biathlon IBU Cup-can11.jpg   Canmore Nordic Centerr  Biathlon IBU Cup-can12.jpg   Canmore Nordic Centerr  Biathlon IBU Cup-can14.jpg   Canmore Nordic Centerr  Biathlon IBU Cup-can06.jpg  
    Last edited by 440GTX; 02-20-2012 at 08:27 PM.

I don't see anything in these nine photos that suggests HDR to me. However, it seems clear that exposure compensation would have been advisable to increase the exposure by about a stop over what the meter called for, the object being to render the snow white instead of gray.

Bob

I've got lots of tricks up my sleeve for shooting and processing snow photos. And if this was your first time shooting something like this, you did good. Being conservative is definitely the right decision. However, if you're going to do it again let me know if you want some suggestions
    Photo-John

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John View Post
    I've got lots of tricks up my sleeve for shooting and processing snow photos. And if this was your first time shooting something like this, you did good. Being conservative is definitely the right decision. However, if you're going to do it again let me know if you want some suggestions
    John, I think there would be a lot of members and visitors that would benefit from getting suggestions from you about shooting in the snow, Jeff
    Last edited by Photo-John; 02-21-2012 at 01:03 PM.
    Check out my website Here
    My Nikon D7000 Tips thread is HERE

All images posted by me anywhere are Copyrighted by Federal Law and may not be copied or used in ANY FORM without my personal written permission. Jeff Impey
    "I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days... Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days I just refuse to have Bad Ones!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John View Post
    Thanks Photo-John
    If I go again next year or any snow sport I will do that.

Fred..

Great action shots and I think biathlon is a really cool sport. I like how the disciplines are at odds with each other and you have to be able to slow your heart rate to do well. That's just cool! Plus the James Bond element is hard to deny.

I agree a ~+1 ev would have helped but these are pretty good considering it was your first try at something like this.

John, let me know when your biathlon is happening. I'm in!
    I think a Ski Mountaineering biathlon would be even cooler, but MTB would be fun too!

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

Triathlon, bike-ski-telephoto ?
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Quote Originally Posted by SmartWombat View Post
    Triathlon, bike-ski-telephoto ?
    Sounds good to me!
    It can be tough to find mountain biking and skiing close to each other, but it is possible. I've done a ski mountaineering - mountain bike - white water kayak triathlon near here. It was fun, but the MTB portion was pretty soggy and of course the river was cold but it's pretty cold year-round.
    I did another one that was XC skiing and road biking for the ski-bike part and that was fun too. That would probably make for easier logistics for the organizers.

Matt

Photo Moron PM

great stuff
    "I'm just an ATM machine"

Thread Information