Sports Photography Forum

Share your sports photos and discuss sports photography techniques and issues. This forum is moderated by SmartWombat.
Featured Photo
Photo by Tumber

by Tumber
Featured Photo Archive >>

Talladega Style Crash

These cars make a lap in 3.4sec. I don't like to use flash, because I don't want to blind the drivers. Thinking about getting a 50mm f1.4 or f1.8 since I am right next to the track.

Nikon D5000, Sigma 70-200 f2.8, iso 3200, 1/400, f2.8
    Comments welcome. Thanks for looking.

Re: Talladega Style Crash

Good to see that style. I think I'm gonna get that style too.

Interesting. I find the background distracting. What lens are you using now? What aperture? I larger aperture lens will help you drop out the background. However, even though the 50mm f/1.4 or 1.8 will let you get better exposures in low light without flash, shooting at those wide apertures is not very practical as your depth-of-field ands up being so shallow.

I'd really like to know more about your equipment and technique for these. I think we might be able to help you make these photos a lot better. And if it were me, I'd try the flash to see if it actually bothers anyone. It might not be the distraction you think it is. Ask them if you can do a test with a flash and see how it goes
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

I was using a friends D5000 set to manual with a Sigma 70-200 f2.8. iso 3200, 1/400, f2. wb at auto. This was the first time I used the camera, and didnt get to much time to play around with the settings. Since then he let me take it to Philly.Pa., and I shot my daughters gymnastics team (levels 4-10, 4000 pics later). I talked with some really nice professionals that were hired to do the meet pictures, and they helped me a ton.

Anyway, these pics are in a 40'x60' garage and the track takes up about 3/4 of the garage, so I was trying different angles. The pics from the other side of the track are not so cluttered. The lighting is all florescent lights, maby i should have used a custom wb.

I'm in the process of getting a D7000 to upgrade from my D40. From what I have read it as close as you can get to d3s without going to a fx sensor and spending the $$$$. The D5000 has helped me alot with the higher iso settings.
    Thanks for looking and for the help.
    -Greg

I just noticed that you included your gear and settings in your original post. Doh!

I am pondering this. I am sure RC cars are a very difficult subject. Let me think about it for a while and I'll get back to you. The bottom line is, I don't think your equipment was a problem. Most likely, practice makes perfect...
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Thread Information