Sports Photography Forum

Share your sports photos and discuss sports photography techniques and issues. This forum is moderated by SmartWombat.
Featured Photo
Photo by Tumber

by Tumber
Featured Photo Archive >>
    Somewhere north of US 10 and east of Wausau, WI, USA

New Member...first picture

Hi, I just found this forum after searching thru google. I've been looking for a place to get feedback on my sports pictures since the other community I am part of, TrekEarth, is more artsy and travel photos, and the members there really don't like to critique sports photographs.

This first picture I am posting was taken back in during the college hockey season. Marian College, the team in blue, faced off against rival University of Minnesota - Crookston in an exciting weekend of hockey action. This shot was taken with a Digital Rebel and a EOS 75-300mm IS USM lens.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Member...first picture-hockey1.jpg  
    Last edited by masdog; 07-31-2005 at 09:28 PM.

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Re: New Member...first picture

Welcome to the forum Masdog. It's great to see another Wisconsinite on the boards! I have to say, I'm not much of a sports shooter so take what I have to say with a grain of salt. First off, I like the comp. of the photo. I like the way you have the players and the goal, both in the frame. For me, it really helps to hold the image together. I also think that your exporsure is good for this shot as well. I have never shot a hockey gave before, but I imagine that getting a proper exposure can be a little tricky with the white ice, and dark uniforms, but it looks like you did pretty good. Personally, I would like to see a bit more detail in the ice in the bottom left corner of the pic, but I don't know if you could get that, without sacraficing other areas of the photo.

Welcome once again, and keep posting.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Welcome!

Glad you found us. I hope we can give you some of what you need. There are a lot of sports photographers here. Most of us shoot cycling since we have sister mountain bike and road boke sites. But if you like shooting sports, you'll pretty much try anything, right? I started with motorcycles and have been shooting mostly mountain bikes for the past few years. But I just shot a roadrace this past weekend, and I'd sure love to get access and shoot a Sharks game! Maybe I'll see if I can pull a credential this year. That would be sweet. And then I'll be coming to you for advice

Sorry I don't have any advice to offer on your photo. It looks pretty damn good to me. Maybe it could be a bit tighter. But it looks like you covered the scene pretty well. And technically it looks great. Maybe warm it up a bit?
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Re: Welcome!

Welcome... I would agree that the comp is good... But the photos doesn't "pop" for me. I am not sure why and I think it would have to do with more post production work that on the camera. Maybe the levels and saturation. I will say for a first time post for an indoor sport shoot, it is one of the better photos that I have seen posted.
    Shane

Re: Welcome!

Thank you, everyone, for your replies. I think the exposure messed with the darker colors - the Minnesota uniforms are supposed to be a dark red color, but in this picture, they come out black (even when I alter the saturation or play with the levels). I'm trying to find the original JPeg to see if I can make a better edit, but so far, no luck. Maybe I will find it on my other computer before I go away for the weekend and have a better edit next week.

Like I said, I'm outie for the next couple of days. I will try to bring back some good pictures of Packer's training camp (can hardly believe I'm going...I'm a Bears fan, but that training camp is TOO far away) and minor league baseball.

The best thing to do shooting hockey is to use the ice to set your your white ballance. This will help with the over exposure.
    If you shoot through the flass you have to go a step slower on your shutter. Your shot here looks good though, other than the blown out ice to the left. Good action too (of course I'm biased as I was a goalie )

Quote Originally Posted by JSPhoto
    The best thing to do shooting hockey is to use the ice to set your your white ballance. This will help with the over exposure.
    If you shoot through the flass you have to go a step slower on your shutter. Your shot here looks good though, other than the blown out ice to the left. Good action too (of course I'm biased as I was a goalie )
    Use the ice as a custom white balance. That's a great idea. Thank you for the tip.

Any time, someone gave me that tip... I think it was my sports editor at one of the papers I shoot for.

JS

Thread Information