Sports Photography Forum

Share your sports photos and discuss sports photography techniques and issues. This forum is moderated by SmartWombat.
Featured Photo
Photo by Tumber

by Tumber
Featured Photo Archive >>

Thread: First shoot

wannabe

First shoot

I did a little noodling, but Im still needing to so some work with the shots I took last night. We won 42-17. Good guys wear white
    My name is Scott, and I take pictures.

Canon Rebel XT
    EF L 70-200 f/2.8
    Speedlite 580 EX
    SanDisk Ultra IIs

Re: First shoot

Well glad you guys won, the team I was shooting was favored but wound up losing and ending t heir season.... Well I'm on vacation til basketball starts in a week and a half. Oh, wait, still have a Big 10 game to shoot November 5th IU vs Minnesota ( Go Gophers!!) ooppsss....it's at IU .... hehehehehee

JS

Not-so-recent Nikon Convert livin4lax09's Avatar

I'm not going to lie; I'm not a big fan of the color. The field is much too bright, drawing your attention away from the action. It could also go for a tighter crop, as at this level my eyes aren't drawn to anything.

hesaias,
    are you using a filter? if so, what filter? also what color space is your camera set too? It appears that maybe one of these things is not right and causing the color problems. If not then it may be a profile problem w/monitor or something but the field is almost yellow, yet the yellow on the blue jersey's is way off as are the blue jersey's. May have over brightened things a bit too as some of the white is blown out. And as livin4lax09 said I'd crop it, probably to get the runner with ball and the guy trying to tackle him, and cut out the excess people in the top and left side.

JS

wannabe

Thanks for the input. I just did a quick clean up to the pic this morning, and now that I look at it again, the color is horrible. I converter the .CR2 to a .DNG so i still have the original file. Ill redo it and see how it goes.

Do you guys know how to use grain surgery or noise ninja in batch mode, or if you even can?

Canon Rebel XT
    EF L 70-200 f/2.8
    Speedlite 580 EX
    SanDisk Ultra IIs

Somewhere north of US 10 and east of Wausau, WI, USA

I usually don't try. I've gotten to the point where I could care less if there is some grain or noise in the photo when I'm looking at it on the screen. It's still there when I print it out, but its not as noticable, and in some cases, adds to the photo.
    Sean Massey
    Massey Photography

Canon 20D
    Canon Digital Rebel XT (backup)
    Canon 70-200 f/2.8L
    Canon 50mm f/1.4
    Sigma 28-105 f/2.8-4.0
    Epson Stylus Photo R1800 Printer

Blog:
    IT 4 Photography

haven't used those... I use NeatImage, and they have a pligin for PS... oh, they also have pretried settings for various cameras too.

masdog,
    Noise isn't too big a problem in newsprint unless it's really bad. For newsprint I just use use "despeckle" in Elements 2.0 and they come out great... even better now with the MKII N, hardly any noise at 1600 to begin with

JS

Not-so-recent Nikon Convert livin4lax09's Avatar

i like the crop, but you just don't have enough light to work with, it seems. You cant distinguish between colors easily, so when you look at the photo you have to reall pay attention to see what limb belongs to who, and whats going on.

wannabe

Ok, check that. Better?

Canon Rebel XT
    EF L 70-200 f/2.8
    Speedlite 580 EX
    SanDisk Ultra IIs

Thread Information