Sports Photography Forum

Share your sports photos and discuss sports photography techniques and issues. This forum is moderated by SmartWombat.
Featured Photo
Photo by Tumber

by Tumber
Featured Photo Archive >>

Thread: First Timer

First Timer

I am looking to getting into sports photography and want to buy a good camera to shoot sports. Youth baseball and soccer some football. What would I need to get started? Any comments would help. Personal pref is canon.

Re: First Timer

A lot depends on what your going to do with the photos, the lighting conditions (day/night) and most of all how much you intend to spend. I have spent $20,000+ in the last 5 years between cameras, lenses and computers, add another $10,000 for software, CD's, DVD's and other odds and ens, repairs, ink paper and so on. My last camera and lens purchase ( about three weeks ago) was $8500 for a Canon MKII N 28-300mm USM IS lens, 70-200 USM IS f2.8 lens and 580EX flash.... way more than the average shooter would spend or use, however I shoot a lot, sports for papers and nature for stock photography.

JS

Almost all games are played during the day. I would like a good beginer camera and nice zoom lens so as to get good photos. I plan on just taking pictures of my daughters soccer team and others in her league. Most photos will be for my own use. But if I get good enough I would like to maybe start selling them and shooting other sports. I like to take pictures and wathing sports I might as well put the two together. I plan on spending about $1500 for now.

Well since it is mostly daytime you may get away with a Canon 300D, 350XT a 10D or 20D. The later two are expensive and require lenses be bought seperately, the first two you can get with lenses in a kit, if you find the later two used you could possibly get them with a lens or two. The 300D is a bare minimum you could use and get what you want with a good lens such as a 70-200 f4 and the 350XT would be next in line, possibly close to or over your limit.

Just some ideas for you to think about. Do some looking around on ebay or google and check some prices on these out.

JS

First let me tell you I'm a amatuer at best so take my advice with a grain of salt. ;)

I've had success with a Canon 300D and Tamron Zoom 28-300mm f/3.5-6.3 XR Di for sports shots in daylight hours.

The 300D has a quite a lag time and the ability to only take 4 shots in a row. It's frustrating to say the least. If you can afford it I think any of the cameras above this one would be the way to go. They all have bursts well above four.

Good luck and have fun!
    It's not blurry. It's bokeh.

Canon EOS 1D Mark IV
    Canon EOS 5D Mark II
    Canon EOS 1D Mark III
    Canon 24-70mm EF f/2.8L
    Canon 24-105mm EF f/4L IS
    Canon Zoom Telephoto EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS
    Canon 17-40mm EF f/4L
    Canon 15mm F/2.8 EF Fisheye Lens
    Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro
    Canon 50mm f/1.8
    Canon 600EX-RT Speedlite
    Canon 580EX Speedlite
    Canon EOS Rebel 300D

Hey JETA.... nice to see you !

Somewhere north of US 10 and east of Wausau, WI, USA

$1500, eh? Well, that won't get you much. The 20D kit, which does include a lens, runs for $1599 retail.

My recommendation would be this - stay away from the Digital Rebel (300D). That camera is rather sluggish, especially when it comes to sports. The 20D is a great camera, but it appears to be a little out of your budget. The XT might be your best bet, and you will still have about $500 left over after you purchase the kit to get accessories like a battery grip and another lens.
    Sean Massey
    Massey Photography

Canon 20D
    Canon Digital Rebel XT (backup)
    Canon 70-200 f/2.8L
    Canon 50mm f/1.4
    Sigma 28-105 f/2.8-4.0
    Epson Stylus Photo R1800 Printer

Blog:
    IT 4 Photography

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

I'd suggest with your budget you look for second hand.
    I've been using a Canon 20D for almost a year now, a friend of mine uses a 10D and we get similar results. Of course I think mine are better
    Personally, I would not go down to the 350XT though if that's all you can afford it'll do the job in daylight.

I have to admit that burst mode isn't so important for me.
    Much more important is to have the photo taken when I push the button.
    From that point of view the lack of shutter lag on the 20D is great.
    Better than the 10D, though the 10D is definitely usable.

You're going to want to spend serious money on lenses eventually.
    Don't shortcut on lens quality. You'll end up buying the good lens you really wanted anyway.
    Another reason for going to the second hand market.

I'd say the Canon 10D or 20D and a 70-200 f2.8 would be a very good starting point.
    You will porbably want longer lenses with time, that's where most of my money goes!
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Not-so-recent Nikon Convert livin4lax09's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by masdog
    $1500, eh? Well, that won't get you much. The 20D kit, which does include a lens, runs for $1599 retail.

My recommendation would be this - stay away from the Digital Rebel (300D). That camera is rather sluggish, especially when it comes to sports. The 20D is a great camera, but it appears to be a little out of your budget. The XT might be your best bet, and you will still have about $500 left over after you purchase the kit to get accessories like a battery grip and another lens.
    you can get the 20d almost brand new, body only, on ebay for about 1100

Somewhere north of US 10 and east of Wausau, WI, USA

When it comes to high end electronics like a digital camera, I wouldn't buy on Ebay. Lenses, I would consider purchasing, but not a body. But that is just me.
    Sean Massey
    Massey Photography

Canon 20D
    Canon Digital Rebel XT (backup)
    Canon 70-200 f/2.8L
    Canon 50mm f/1.4
    Sigma 28-105 f/2.8-4.0
    Epson Stylus Photo R1800 Printer

Blog:
    IT 4 Photography

Not-so-recent Nikon Convert livin4lax09's Avatar

got my rebel on ebay, works fine. Just make sure you buy from someone with near-perfect feedback rating, and at least 30 ratings.

Quote Originally Posted by JSPhoto
    Hey JETA.... nice to see you !
    Oh man JS! You are the sweetest ever.

I've been busy running around trying to do everything for everyone and getting nothing done.

We won our game last night. 28-0. As soon as the boys did their handshakes the head coach called them all over for a last minute huddle. He gave them the official news that we won our league and were headed for the playoffs. I got the coolest pic of a sea of helmets and in the very middle you can see two hands raised in triumph in the very middle. They are the hands of the coach.

The boys went nuts! Funny thing is they are still such little boys. I'm the only parent let alone mother on the sidelines. I had 4 of them running to me after the news cuz they needed some Mom hugs. I'm only 5-4 and not too big. Oh lord. Boys twice my size if not bigger in pads gunning for me to get hugs. Not to mention the sweat and gross gunk. Know what? There wasn't a place I'd rather be. What a great night. I'm so happy that I get to be a part of it all.
    It's not blurry. It's bokeh.

Canon EOS 1D Mark IV
    Canon EOS 5D Mark II
    Canon EOS 1D Mark III
    Canon 24-70mm EF f/2.8L
    Canon 24-105mm EF f/4L IS
    Canon Zoom Telephoto EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS
    Canon 17-40mm EF f/4L
    Canon 15mm F/2.8 EF Fisheye Lens
    Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro
    Canon 50mm f/1.8
    Canon 600EX-RT Speedlite
    Canon 580EX Speedlite
    Canon EOS Rebel 300D

Quote Originally Posted by JETA
    Oh man JS! You are the sweetest ever.

I've been busy running around trying to do everything for everyone and getting nothing done.

Gee thanks JETA, just don't let anyone else know......

JS

Thread Information