Sports Photography Forum

Share your sports photos and discuss sports photography techniques and issues. This forum is moderated by SmartWombat.
Featured Photo
Photo by Tumber

by Tumber
Featured Photo Archive >>

Experiment day. Action Self Portrait

Tried something new today. I keep seeing all of these videos with the GoPro. Guys use a stick to hold the camera away from themselves and take some cool videos. I figured I can do this with my D300s and my fisheye. Stills and video. I used my gorillapod SLR as a handle. It needs to be just a little longer. Then I would get everything in the shot.

It was snowing pretty hard and the sky was grey as hell. So these are a bit flat. But it was a cool test.

1. Starting out.

2. The goods

3. It was a good day!

Re: Experiment day. Action Self Portrait

Here is the link to the video. This is my first ever edited video out of the 300s.
    http://theinfinitymachine.smugmug.co...531_ThzMi-L-LB

Well done! I like the one with your face in it.

Were u using any kind of camera housing? to prevent moisture or water in your camera

thanks

No housing. Just the 300s. Snow isn't too bad. Everything is cold so it doesn't really melt. I wipe the snow off with a soft towel before I shove it back in the bag. The thing I always worry about is condensation. I leave my camera in the bag when I get home. I have sort of a decompression cycle. First it is in the back room by the door. Then it gets moved into the kitchen. Then before I go to be I usually take the camera out of the bag. Most of the time this works great. This time I had a bit of condensation. I think it was because I took my memory card out and let warm air in the bag. I wanted to see what I had!.
    On a side note. My fisheye doesn't have an ass gasket on it. So I put an oring around the outside of the lens around the camera mount. It fit on there nice and tight and closed in that gap. Not sure if it did anything but make me feel better. In theory it is to help I figure that is one of the places water would be bad to get into.

Chris Anderson-Photography fidgety's Avatar

It's definitely a great concept but the images are nothing more than your torso as you go down the slope. Any way to put on a wide angle or fish eye lens and attach the camera to your board and point it up at you? That would be very cool to see.
    Chris Anderson
    Sportsshooter.com Member
    Southcreek Global Media
    MaxPreps

That is shot with a 10.5 Nikon Fisheye. It is not getting much wider than that. And I take a lot of risks with my gear, but attaching a DSLR to the front of my board is one I don't think I am willing to take. I think that is a job for a GoPro. But attached to the board I think it would get covered in snow. But it could be cool to try.

I think in the end with this setup I need a bit of a longer stick than my gorillapod. I think I will make one and attach my ball head to it that is about 16" long or so. That should be far enough to get my whole body in the shot.

Chris Anderson-Photography fidgety's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zerodog
    That is shot with a 10.5 Nikon Fisheye. It is not getting much wider than that. And I take a lot of risks with my gear, but attaching a DSLR to the front of my board is one I don't think I am willing to take. I think that is a job for a GoPro. But attached to the board I think it would get covered in snow. But it could be cool to try.

I think in the end with this setup I need a bit of a longer stick than my gorillapod. I think I will make one and attach my ball head to it that is about 16" long or so. That should be far enough to get my whole body in the shot.
    That may work. Looking forward to seeing the results. Good luck!
    Chris Anderson
    Sportsshooter.com Member
    Southcreek Global Media
    MaxPreps

Do you also have a remote ? how did you triggered the camera for the photos?

the longer the support the heavier the camera will get ... good exercise though

I do have a remote. It is a photix cleon. It sucks........ What do you get for $20? It worked really well for the first while that I had it. Maybe the battery is going low? Anyway... it has a cool feature to the receiver that is used for for the bulb function on the camera. It is a hold lock. When on bulb it just holds the shutter open for you. When the camera is on continuous, you lock it and the camera just goes. After an initial burst of speed shots, it settles into about 2 shots a second. I just set it and let it rip. I also used manual focus. That way, the camera didn't freak out and start focusing on anything it happens to point at.

Thread Information