Sports Photography Forum

Share your sports photos and discuss sports photography techniques and issues. This forum is moderated by SmartWombat.
Featured Photo
Photo by Tumber

by Tumber
Featured Photo Archive >>

Another great day touring

I went for a nice tour with a few friends. I was on my splitboard and they were all on snowshoes. It was one friends first ever backcountry experience. He did great. It is a lot of work.

These were with on of camera flash strapped to my board with a gorillapod stuck in the snow. The idea was to fill because I was shooting into the sun. Thought I would like the effect. But not really. I picked a bad spot. I should have been up on the open snowfield above. I kind of think these suck. Bad background, slow shutter from flash sync and not tight enough crop.

1. The comet! The snow was really nice in here. I sort of like this one.

2. Nothing special

Here are a few S90 pocket rocket pictures shot in RAW.
    4. My friend Lance grinding it out on the climb.

5. Not sure which one of these I like better?

Got in a few cool shots while taking a much needed break.

6. My buddy Kevin

7. His girlfriend

Now for the ride down.

10. Our tracks. Mine is the one on the left. Nice and tight! This was some nice fast spring snow.

11. The bottom has some really tight trees. The nice wet snow made it easier.

12. Sunbursts @ f22. That is Solitude ski resort across the valley.

13. Back to the road

Re: Another great day touring

Looks like a great time you guys had ! Those few shots from the S90 look very good. I especially like 4,5, and 6. Did you pp them?

I really like the first one too. nice job on these. Number 1 and 4 are keepers for me.
    Shal

Good stuff! What day did you go? I'm guessing it had to be Saturday. Jenni and I went to Alta yesterday (Sunday) and the snow was pretty terrible off the groomers.

I see what you mean about the flash photos not being great. I think you did good with the flash. So in that sense they're successful. But the neither the background or the snow are good enough to make great photos. Maybe if you'd got a tighter shot with a big smile on the rider's face or something. But it doesn't really matter. What's important is you got out there and you took pictures you can learn from. I only shot a few on the descent last Thursday and I think they all sucked. However, I know *why* they sucked. So hopefully next time I'll do better. Sometimes just taking pictures to learn from is the important thing

It's not like you didn't get anything good, either. I really like numbers 4 and 8. And what can I say, I'm a sucker for a pretty girl with a good smile - number 7 is pretty nice to look at

I gotta say, I'm pretty pysched about all the touring photos we've got going on this forum. It's keeping my psyched and motivated. We really do have to coordinate and get out together. Jenni would like that, too. She hasn't been out for much backcountry action and she is also on snowshoes. However, she's super fit and kicks my ass on the climbs anyway.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Quote Originally Posted by AgingEyes
    Looks like a great time you guys had ! Those few shots from the S90 look very good. I especially like 4,5, and 6. Did you pp them?
    #6 isn't an S90 shot. But 4 and 5 are. I liked them both so I put them both up to see what you guys thought I figured 4 was stronger because they are both looking up. But in 5 the mountains in the back are killer. I love the S90 for anything not moving it does very well for a P&S. These ones were done in RAW and I did PP them a bit. Some sharpening and noise reduction. That thing always needs NR. I also pumped up the blacks a bit too.

Yeah you are right John. I just try to take pics every time and try different things. The flash worked well. But I wish I was in a different spot. But those are the things you learn to look for. It is hard to ride and have fun and plan shots and take photos. Doing these snowboard shots is a great way to learn. You don't get many chances. Usually once. And you don't get to move around easily when the snow is ass deep.

We do need to plan a photo tour?? of sorts and show off the gear and go for a good ride.

Quote Originally Posted by zerodog
    We do need to plan a photo tour?? of sorts and show off the gear and go for a good ride.
    Looks like we've got some snow on the way. Maybe next week? Can you get out on a weeday? I'd love to get back up in Powder Playground to give it another shot. Plus, it's pretty much all 20-degree pitch so it's super safe.

Where did you guys go? Did you hike straight across the road from Solitude? I've been looking at those slopes below the Crest for a few years now and wondering what they're like.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John
    Looks like we've got some snow on the way. Maybe next week? Can you get out on a weeday? I'd love to get back up in Powder Playground to give it another shot. Plus, it's pretty much all 20-degree pitch so it's super safe.

Where did you guys go? Did you hike straight across the road from Solitude? I've been looking at those slopes below the Crest for a few years now and wondering what they're like.
    Weekdays are tough for me. But this weekend could be a nice time for it. Hopefully we get some nice snow out of this set of storms. Where we went riding is called the Willows. It is straight across from Solitude. Lots of aspects to ride in there. Powder playground sounds good too. As is Reynolds and Soldier Fork. I am up for anything anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by zerodog
    #6 isn't an S90 shot. But 4 and 5 are. I liked them both so I put them both up to see what you guys thought I figured 4 was stronger because they are both looking up. But in 5 the mountains in the back are killer.

Yeah, the "Money" shot would have been with the better mountain background of #5, but without the subjects stacked on each other. Another 10ft to your right and the shot would have been perfect. Nice pictures however.
    Brian

Nikon D3100
    Nikon 35mm f1.8G AF-S
    Nikon 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G AF-S EDII VR
    Nikon 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR

Thread Information