Sports Photography Forum

Share your sports photos and discuss sports photography techniques and issues. This forum is moderated by SmartWombat.
Featured Photo
Photo by Tumber

by Tumber
Featured Photo Archive >>

Question 2010 Sports Photo of the Year?

Saw this on the PDN Pulse blog. Thought I'd share it with the group and get some of your thoughts.

Is this the sports photo of the year?

Lebron Dunks; Wade Soars…Sports Photo of the Year?

It's a great shot, but it's also a "happy accident" - it's an interesting short article...

I'd repost the image and the article, but I'm not yet very familiar with how strict we are on this board.

Re: 2010 Sports Photo of the Year?

To me it is kind of a shitty picture in general. Hopefully the original looks much better. It is dark, WB is off, and not super sharp. That is a grab camera accident. Not that those type of shots are bad, this one just doesn't do much for me.

I would say the best sports shot I saw this year off the top of my head was the dude that got nailed in the lens with Tiger's golf ball. The oh **** look on Tigers face is the best.

Thanks for sharing that. And thanks for just posting the link. That's definitely the right thing to do

I don't know. It's a cool photo but I don't know if I'd call it the sports photo of the year. Luck does count - absolutely. On the other hand, there are so many other great photographers out there working so hard to get their photos - especially in the outdoor action sports realm. Just yesterday I saw an awesome one from the new Transworld Snowboarding photo annual that does a lot more for me than the PDN pick: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...id=70584728588

I admit I am biased towards outdoor action sports photos, though. I'm not that into ball sports and haven't shot them much. I'm also much more sensitive to the amount of effort, planning, collaboration and risk that goes into a photo like that Transworld cover.

Thanks again for this post, groovehouse. It's a great subject. I'm looking forward to hearing other peoples' opinions and seeing more links. I assume there will be a bunch of Photo of the Year articles on the Web and in magazines like Sports Illustrated.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Quote Originally Posted by zerodog

I would say the best sports shot I saw this year off the top of my head was the dude that got nailed in the lens with Tiger's golf ball. The oh **** look on Tigers face is the best.
    This is what I was thinking before I clicked this thread!

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

I checked that link - I'm sure we can do better !

Great? No.
    Lucky? Yes.
    And yes, it’s a big world, I’d say odds are it’ll be a non-USA photographer and event.
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

I agree, outdoor action is where it is at. Ball sports just don't get me going at all. The photos that make me want to buy a magazine are snowboard, surf, ski, bike, motorcycle oriented. It is a lot easier to hang out on the sidelines to shoot. It is still hard but, climbing up a mountain or risking getting run over to get a shot makes things a bit more interesting and challenging. But for the masses, it is all balls.......

I was a bit shocked when i saw it. then i read...

"Some are calling it the sports photo of the year and it was captured, like many great images, partially by chance."

by "some" I am sure they mean the website. lol I have seen a lot better pictures on this board.
    Marco Arreguin

All critique/advice welcome.
    Growing every day.

Nice photo, sure... Best of the year? Not a chance... Many, many more out there... Any of the action sports photo journals are a great place to start... Always dug Transworld's... But there are many others out there too...

- G

In my opinion, an uncontested dunk is pedestrian! Seen it a million tines and will see it another million before I die (unless I die tomorrow or in the very near future!).

For sports photos to be amazing, they need to capture a moment that is rarely seen by the eye... Be it because it happens too fast, most are too far away... Yadda, yadda, yadda.

I think compelling sports photos have to start with face, showing exertion, pain, happiness, sadness, exhaustion...

This is just another regular-season b-ball dunk in my book!

PASS!!!

-Scott

Any one mind if I start a new thread for everyone's personal best shot of the year?
    Shal

Quote Originally Posted by jacobovs
    Any one mind if I start a new thread for everyone's personal best shot of the year?
    Of course not! Please do. Give us all a chance to show off our favorite stuff!
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

I was thinking that. 1 personal best shot. Then we should vote after Jan 1.

Thread Information