Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

When bad shots go good?

Okay, that subject line was very odd, but anyway--

I took both of these at Cades Cove. The riding stables horses were out and I took a few quick shots... I seriously botched the exposure for all of them, but for some of them I really liked the effect that this caused. I'd like to know what others think of them and if its just me. Also, I'm just curious how many (if any) peope here have ever completely messed up their intended shot and unintentially got a very good photo in the process?

The first one I think needs to be cropped down, any suggestions on that?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails When bad shots go good?-cadescovehorses1.jpg   When bad shots go good?-cadescovehorses2.jpg  

Cool well done

I like the first one the best. The whole fog effect works well. The second one seems really out of focus, but in a way it makes it looks good. The only thing is that there is so much white up top pn the second, of course caused by the bad exposures you mentioned. If the top was darker it would be a great image. Just my opinion though. Good shots, well done. I'll be in Cades Cove this time next week. Can't wait!!!!
    KEEP SHOOTIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seb
    Quote Originally Posted by CaraRose
    I'm just curious how many (if any) peope here have ever completely messed up their intended shot and unintentially got a very good photo in the process?
    Hello CaraRose,

Unfortunatelly, when I screw my pictures, I usually screw them good lol. I Cannot really recall having ever achieved a bad picture that turned to be good.

About your pictures:

The top of the first one have some flare so I would personally crop that very top part and also I would crop a good part of the grass in the bottom to put more emphasis on the horses. That way, it might look like an horses shot in the middle of some serious fog. I guess that it could work decently well.

I am not too sure about the second picture. I think that the effect of the light in the center of the frame is of some interest but the sides of the picture are quite blury. It might worth to go for a good crop all arround just to keep few trees on the side to frame the horses.

regards

Seb

first image needs crop at bottom... image lacks color, contrast and sharpness... ugly color cast in the upper area!

second image plain sucks... the idea with open meadow is nice and the framing with the trees... but the quality is awful... blurry, ugly color cast, way to dark, monotone, lack of details, lack of color, contrast, noisy and the list goes on.

why post such crappy quality... it's like im wearing filthy foggy glasses when i look at your shots!! you can get for a few bucks a descent scanner at walmart!

how can you expect us to give a descent opion when you post this kind of stuff!

Sitting in a Leaky Dingy Michael Fanelli's Avatar

Stop the Crap, Modena

Quote Originally Posted by modena
    why post such crappy quality... it's like im wearing filthy foggy glasses when i look at your shots!! you can get for a few bucks a descent scanner at walmart!

how can you expect us to give a descent opion when you post this kind of stuff!
    Sorry, CaraRose, but Modena's constant crap just gets me angry...

Flame On
    OK, this is more than enough. Post after post, nothing but nasty and arrogant postings that say almost nothing. No, you are no confused, just ignorant. If you had something reasonable to say, you would not have to resort to personal attack.

Let's see some of YOUR work here. If you can't handle that, then stop trolling.

Flame Off
    "Every great decision creates ripples--like a huge boulder dropped in a lake. The ripples merge and rebound off the banks in unforseeable ways.

Angry Go Micheal!!!!!

I was about to post the same thing, but you got to it before I did, Michael. BRAVO!!! Modena, I think you need to take a few classes or something in communication...unless you want everyone to just dislike you. If you're going for the whole rebel photographer that doesn't care and is a frustrated artisit...already been done, my friend. ;) Before you give negative criticism...which helps NO ONE!!!!!!!!!! Maybe you should post a few of your pics so we can see how awesome you are and that you have a right to criticize and comment the way you do Is that too much to ask? I haven't been posting on the forum for more than like two weeks tops, but I already love it. I don't like it when everyone is always so constructive and positive about their criticisms and you come on here and take personal and degrating shots at people who just want to show the world their work. I know this place is to express your opinion, but if your opinion consists of nothing but this negative stuff...maybe it's not worth sharing. I might even advise a therapist for this sort of problem OK, I'm done venting now. Cara don't listen to this guy. He's out for nothing but to put people down. Until he can show a little respect for anyone, I'd advise no one listen to any of his posts. Thank you. Modena

P.S. Modena...please be respectful. You know these boards are watched, so please just ahint of respect would work wonders. Trust me ;)

Heh, don't apologize Michael! You said most of what I wanted to say to this guy (I'm just too meek and polite to say it!). I stopped paying attention to him when I read his reply to this post, since it was made obvious that he didn't bother to *read* the post that went with the pictures or he'd know why I posted these.

And Tubaman, I totally agree with liking these boards because people are supportive and give friendly criticism. It's a great board for people to come and learn from others. People here are just great.

In any case, this guy is already off my radar. I tend to write off people who act like that pretty quickly Saves my blood pressure from going up.

Sitting in a Leaky Dingy Michael Fanelli's Avatar
    Heh, don't apologize Michael! You said most of what I wanted to say to this guy (I'm just too meek and polite to say it!). I stopped paying attention to him when I read his reply to this post, since it was made obvious that he didn't bother to *read* the post that went with the pictures or he'd know why I posted these.
    After I wrote this I noticed that this first day member was doing the same thing to many posts all over the site. That is when I realized that Modena was just a troll trying start fights. P-J has been notified about the problem.
    "Every great decision creates ripples--like a huge boulder dropped in a lake. The ripples merge and rebound off the banks in unforseeable ways.

Talking cool

Always good to see the good defeat the evil. JUST KIDDING. Anyways, sorry if I took away from your post Cara, sorry. It's just always bad to see a great thing like this attacked like that...but we will be victorious. HAHAHA. Having too much fun now, but you gotta have fun sometime. Sorry again if I took away from your post. Thanks. ;)

Okay, that subject line was very odd, but anyway--

I took both of these at Cades Cove. The riding stables horses were out and I took a few quick shots... I seriously botched the exposure for all of them, but for some of them I really liked the effect that this caused. I'd like to know what others think of them and if its just me. Also, I'm just curious how many (if any) peope here have ever completely messed up their intended shot and unintentially got a very good photo in the process?

The first one I think needs to be cropped down, any suggestions on that?
    After reading the other responses I guess I had better be careful here.
    I don't mind the hazy moody feel of the shot, but I think you need to be a little more careful with the timing or people will start calling you the headless horsewoman. With the horses all chowin' down intensively you need to position yourself where the shot will not cut off their heads or wait until a few raise their heads to look around. Maybe a whistle would do it.
    Glad you are ignoring whatsizname.

Thread Information