Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: Water Lily

Water Lily

Tell me how do you find this in b&w. Unconventional? Still acceptable?
    thanks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Water Lily-bw-crw_6570.jpg  

plchung..

Quote Originally Posted by plchung
    Tell me how do you find this in b&w. Unconventional? Still acceptable?
    thanks.
    one word - Spectacular! ok two words - Stunning!
    Way more than acceptable. Award winning in my opinion.
    ~Kit

I like it

I like it. I think I'd like it better if the two white lillies were closer together, though. There's just a little too much negative space in between them. It makes the realtionship feel a little vague. If you changed the angle a little you could have moved them closer together.

I like the softness of the background of the subtely of the negative space. It's a very rich image. I just wish the composition was a tiny but stronger.

I'd like to know more about how you shot this.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Amateur / Enthusiastic

Great pic

Wonderful picture. Very recently I am also trying a project on DOP. Please let me know the detail exposure/shutter speed/ aperuture/ focus about this picture. I like the shallow DOP. Do you have other samples too?

Exif

Dear Kit, John and Saha,

Thank for your kindness. I am a bit nervous to receive yours unexpected favourable comments as I have posted the same photo in Hong Kong's photo forum but received no enthusiastic comments (except one - but not highly positive). That is why I am a bit hesitate and would like to solicit your comment on it. I guess there is a cultural difference between East and West.

Here is the EXIF
    Camera 300D with Carl Zeiss Jena DDR 2.8/200mm MC (manual focus)
    Aperture f/5.6 (under Av mode)
    Shutter 1/800 sec
    ISO 100
    There is no exposure compensation at all. Maybe I have used the AE lock function (hence the metering mode change to partial metering) but I not sure about that.

I have used both the C1 and Photoshop for image processing and editing. The original photo taken with softener under cloudy but bright weather is attached for your reference. And I have also attached another one (which is not very good) for Saha's interest.

I have used PS to turn it into B&W.

Regards,

Alex
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Water Lily-crw_6570copy.jpg   Water Lily-crw_6390copy.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by plchung
    Dear Kit, John and Saha,

Thank for your kindness. I am a bit nervous to receive yours unexpected favourable comments as I have posted the same photo in Hong Kong's photo forum but received no enthusiastic comments (except one - but not highly positive). That is why I am a bit hesitate and would like to solicit your comment on it. I guess there is a cultural difference between East and West.

Here is the EXIF
    Camera 300D with Carl Zeiss Jena DDR 2.8/200mm MC (manual focus)
    Aperture f/5.6 (under Av mode)
    Shutter 1/800 sec
    ISO 100
    There is no exposure compensation at all. Maybe I have used the AE lock function (hence the metering mode change to partial metering) but I not sure about that.

I have used both the C1 and Photoshop for image processing and editing. The original photo taken with softener under cloudy but bright weather is attached for your reference. And I have also attached another one (which is not very good) for Saha's interest.

I have used PS to turn it into B&W.

Regards,

Alex
    ohhhh! That purple one is sweet! Almost like an extended macro with that little bee included. But most of all, I adore your avatar! That is just a great photo.
    Kit

Amateur / Enthusiastic

Like the BEEEEEEEEE effect

Hi,
    Thanks for the two photographs. Both are nice. The white lily gives a very peaceful and soothing feeling. The blurred background also creates a environment of silence, white and peace. I like that.

And more I like is the BEEEEEEEEEEEE effect. In the contrast of this quite and tranquil picture the bee is really a very contrasting subject. Yes I call it a contrasting concept rather. Like that. Just caught her at right moment.

Nice pics, bravo

Aurobindo

Thread Information