Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

A View from Within . . .looking out

Taken on fuji Provia and converted.
    your thoughts . . .
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A View from Within . . .looking out-0405-2418x1web.jpg  
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Re: A View from Within . . .looking out

Sadly, I have to say that i am not to thrilled with this one. The others in this series are so great and this one..well it just insn't. Of course this is just my opinion, but an honest one.
    John Cowan
    Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

I actually like the silhouette of the man in the doorway. Very nice.

But the title should really be: "A View from Within ... looking at a man looking out." Because we're not reeeeeeeally looking out. We're looking at him, and he's still "in".
    Drink Coffee. Do stupid things faster with more energy.

learning member

I don't know why stark + simple = beauty. Beautifull shot!
    I think of someone contemplating rebuilding after a natural disaster of somesort, depressinig, but hopfull.
    the little highlights showing through the sleeves really make this work fior me.
    Mark.

I think it's another success, Gary. The mystery of the half seen interior and the so bright exterior with the looker perched on the interface. I like the shapes of the folds on his clothing.
    ----------------------------

Moderator of Critiques/Hearder of Cats mtbbrian's Avatar

Oooohhhhhhh!!

Something different for this series..
    I like!
    Getting a little introspective Gary?
    Is this what this series is for you? That is introspective or reflection for you?
    I hope it is in some way. Which is a good thing.
    I like the added element, I think it adds a lot, something different to the series, which is a good thing.
    Not sure I can add more. It is another great photograph of this interesting series.
    I do have a question though, why are you shooting color film and converting it to b&w?
    Brian
    My "Personal" Photography Website...
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...
    Nikon Samurai #2 - Emeritus
    See more of my photography here...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

"Photography Is An Act Of Life" - Maine 2006

Hi Gary,
    The picture leads to several reflections: 1. from darkness to brightness; 2. beginning of a story; 3. leaving an totally untidy life to a better one ,,,,
    The fella is very large-sized as he fills most of the door. It gives a very tight feeling. I am not sure that gives the best aesthetic composition, however, I think the reflection is the most important of a picture. Well done!
    yoyo

Re: Oooohhhhhhh!!

Gary,

I like this idea, yet outside is just way to hot and overexposed. The idea is great, but it's just a little tad to hot right at the doorway for me! It may just be my monitor too!

Nice shot!

"Artisaliethatmakesusreali zetruth" PlantedTao's Avatar

I have to agree with almo on this one...this is just not working for me.
    Don't get me wrong, this is a solid shot and all the technical qualities are there. But compared to your other shots (in the series) this is not on the level. For me, it has to do with some of the mystery and emotion that the other pictures have. This one is nice, but I'm not captivated by it. I like the idea of someone in the photo (the warehouse) but this guy is just too much IMHO.

Cheers.

Almo, . . . Thanks. I appreciate your honest opinion

Kelly. . .Great to know your thoughts on this. Lookin Out, refers to the subject in the door, but your more literal version of the title may be better and suit my series more accurately.

Mark. . .that is what I like about this comp is the starkness and simplicity. And the details of the lights shing through the gaps.

Chunk. . .Thanks as always. Knowing how you are familiar with this series I am working on, I'm happy to know you feel this can be a successful addition.

Brian. . .Yeah, something a little different. You are right, reflective in a sense of how I would be peering out from within, although I have had a few shots with a subject viewing outwards before. I shoot with film, and then from there on I am in a digital workflow from scanning, to editing to final printing. I shoot in color to leave my options open and for the best quality with the slide films and lower iso. On one roll of film, I may have a few shots of a scene, say a landscape, that I want in color, and then rest of the roll might find good scenes that I intend to edit as b&w. In that regard, it could be compared to shooting with a digital camera in that I decide during my editing which images will be converted and not. But my options are there. Thanks for your support.

Yoyo . . .I ppreciate your in depth analysis . Yes, the reflection is important and glad you see it here.

Jared . . . Thanks for your thoughts on this, much appreciated

Tao . . .I'm happy to know your honest opinion on this This was one composition of two that I had worked on in this scene. I am posting the second comp to know the boards opinion on the two different compositions

This is the second comp of the same scene I had worked on. How do you compare?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A View from Within . . .looking out-0405-2518x1web.jpg  

gary

Totally Changes It...

Gary,
    The second is totally different...
    It becomes more about the person than where you have been going with this series.
    Not a bad photograph, but the message is not "The View From Within".
    It kind of looks like, the guy is taking a break from cleaning up the place, with the hand on his forehead.
    Interesting work flow you have..
    Can't wait to see the next photograph!
    Brian
    Last edited by mtbbrian; 04-20-2005 at 10:06 AM. Reason: Oh And......
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

"Artisaliethatmakesusreali zetruth" PlantedTao's Avatar

Ahhh - breathing room... ;)
    I like this compostions a lot better and it brings back the feeling of the series. I can see out and get that mysterious quality of the outside world that your series exhibits. The guy doesn't obscure my view, which allows me to reflect on what he could be thinking...before I felt trapped in the room.
    The exposure is great, very rich tones and nice contrast (love that!). Technically on par with the series as a whole.
    My only comment (small suggestion) is the guys pose...when first viewed it looked like he was peering out or saluting with his hand on his brow??? I know your going for a look of reflection, but the leaning on the elbow is a bit distracting. This could change if the picture was larger and I could make out more detail...we are very limited with the size of photo we can post.
    This one is much better than the first post...great job.
    Cheers.

Re: Totally Changes It...

Quote Originally Posted by mtbbrian
    Gary,
    The second is totally different...
    It becomes more about the person than where you have been going with this series.
    I agree wholeheartedly with Brian. The first one is different than several in the series but that's a good thing imho. A whole series, all shot to the same formula, would be a bit boring. Having variations and experimentation within the series while keeping the basic premise as you have, will keep it fresh and interesting. Keep it up, you are improving the whole.
    ----------------------------

Hello Gary
    Your series of these photographs is by far my favourite series.
    I cannot find any fault technically with these but they just don't hold the mystery and eerieness that previous ones had. Maybe thats just me. To me the human presence, such a feature of these two, eliminates the atmosphere for me.
    But then I could look at it this way; the man, who looks as though he has had enough, has just returned to find his property turned over and I start thinking again.
    Tom
    http://www.overbeyond.com

I have a total lack of respect for anything connected with society, except that which makes the roads safer, the beer stronger, the food cheaper, and the old men and old women warmer in the winter and happier in the summer. Brendan Behan

Seb

Quote Originally Posted by gahspidy
    Taken on fuji Provia and converted.
    your thoughts . . .
    Gary,

I partly feel like PlantedTao on these. My very first feeling when I saw the first picture is that the guy took too much space in the door frame. Going back at it a second time, I now catch the mysterious mood outside and actually enjoy the picture much much more than I first did. Nevertheless, I am thinking that the guy probably still take too much space in the frame. It might be technically impossible but I guess that I would personally try to shoot at a shorter focal lenght with the guy standing a few steps from the door so he would appears smaller.

The second picture also works for me but I think that I would prefer a different pose. Maybe something like the guy sat on an object near the door frame, slightly leanning forward to look outside. Just some thoughts.

Seb

The second one is definately working alot more for me Gary. Having the person to the right adds a sense of depth and another layer. Though the outside is still a tad too exposed for me, it works, as you can somewhat tell what is outside.

Nice shot,

Jared

I must say that I prefer the 1st view. I like that you're in the doorway viewing the outside from within making "myself" the viewer wonder what it is that you are looking at. I like that bit of mystery concealed by your silhouette. I love the contrast of that peeking brightness outside to the darkness inside or vice versa.
    I do have to agree with Brian in that the 2nd view really is more about the individual. It still makes for an interesting photo and another great addition to the series. Changing it up as Chunk mentioned does keep it interesting. Great composition in both shots as usual.
    ~Nina~

Brian, Tao, Chunk, Tom, Jared, Seb and Nina. . . I'm really benefiting from your thoughts and analysis on these. It is an invalueable tool to be able to get the interpretations and different views from other photographers . I will say that as a stand alone photograph I feel stronger about the 2nd. But the 1st one adds to and fits into the series more as I would like it to. Thanks much for the generosity of your time and thoughts.

gary

Quote Originally Posted by gahspidy
    Almo, . . . Thanks. I appreciate your honest opinion

This is the second comp of the same scene I had worked on. How do you compare?
    Damn I hate to do this cuz I feel like such a total jerk, but this whole idea is just lacking creativity IMO. It's more like you have run out of ideas and didn't know when to stop.

Ok now I just feel like punching myself. I am so good at being mean, but I hate doing it...;)
    John Cowan
    Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

Thank You Too Gary!

I for one want to thank you as well Gary, for bringing such excellent photography here.
    It helps us too in many ways with our photography.
    Brian
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...

Gary-
    regarding the first shot- I would say best in the series because it seems the most personal, and combines the elments from all of the other pictures it also has a feeling of finality to it.
    If this were the last piece in your exhibit, I would feel I learned something about the artist on a personal note. The second shot is equally great in technicality, but doesn't give you the same impact as the first.
    Twitter
    Facebook
    Blog

Art is always and everywhere the secret confession, and at the same time the immortal movement of its time.
    - Marx

Thanks Rebekah, I agree there is a finality to this image and a closing reflection of the series. For those reasons, having it last in the series would make sense.

Brian. . .the feeling is mutual..

Almo. . .I appreciate your honesty. I don't think I'm running out of ideas, yet. I have lots of ideas going on in my mind, and was eager to pull this one off as it lent to a different , maybe more personal take on the concept. This was two different compositions of the same idea I was trying at this particuliar location. Thanks again

gary

Thread Information