GB1

Any way to change view to see replies in top view?

The old forum allowed you to see if someone had replied to your posting from the top view. I don't immediately see that capability in the new forum software. Any way to set it up to do that - ? Thanks GB

don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

Hybrid mode...

Quote Originally Posted by GB1
    The old forum allowed you to see if someone had replied to your posting from the top view. I don't immediately see that capability in the new forum software. Any way to set it up to do that - ? Thanks GB
    If you click on a thread in any of the forums, under the "post reply" button (about half way down the page) , there's a thread tool bar. The pull down all the way on the right lists DISPLAY MODES.

One of the choices is HYBRID MODE. When you click on this, each thread now has a "thread tree" at the very top of the thread page. This shows who replies to which post, much the same way the old format did.

It's not exactly the same as the old way, and I'm not sure this is what you mean, but it's about as close as we're going to get with this format...
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

GB1

Thks

Steve - you're right, its not the same as the old way. Before, we could just open the Photo Critique page and immediately see replies. Looks like now we have to open each thread that we (think we) were in, which is more work. What it needs is a 'Hybrid Mode' for the main (top) page view.

I wonder who developed this software, btw.. maybe they'd solicit feedback/recommendations for improvements (as most software teams do)? Anyway, it looks like this is it for awhile..

Thanks for the info though,

GB

Quote Originally Posted by Asylum Steve
    If you click on a thread in any of the forums, under the "post reply" button (about half way down the page) , there's a thread tool bar. The pull down all the way on the right lists DISPLAY MODES.

One of the choices is HYBRID MODE. When you click on this, each thread now has a "thread tree" at the very top of the thread page. This shows who replies to which post, much the same way the old format did.

It's not exactly the same as the old way, and I'm not sure this is what you mean, but it's about as close as we're going to get with this format...

If you just want to know if you were in a thread or not, check the icon next to it. If the envelope has a black dot in it it means you have posted in it. If the envelope is white it means that there are new posts since the last time you viewed it.
    -Seb

My website

(Please don't edit and repost my images without my permission. Thank you)

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

pozsar gabor@freemail.hu
    It's really disturbing, can we have the old one back please?

Quote Originally Posted by GB1

Forum Changes

I understand if you're uncomfortable with some of the changes in the new forum software. I've found the hybrid mode works fine for me and I really liked the format of the old forum software. But there are so many areas where the new forums are better than the old ones that there's no way we'll ever go back. We'd be giving up our awesome new user profile pages, for one.

After years of using and researching forums, we've decided that this one is the best. We gave up a few little things, but what we gained more than makes up for those small losses. And I think that everyone who's used the new forums for a while has gotten used the differences and appreciates the positive changes. Hang in there and give them a chance. I think you'll find that after you've used them for a while you won't want to go back, either.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Thread Information