Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

A different view point

Hi,
    looking for ideas on which was the better way to go.......the more side view of the light or capture the sweep of the light. I know the first photo is a bit grainy, otherwise your critique is welcome as always
    cheers
    Michael
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A different view point-eiff-towe-critique.jpg   A different view point-eiffel2-critique.jpg  

Re: A different view point

I'd go with the top one, the one where the light is on the sides. I think, compositionally, its alot better then the straight on light. With the lights on both sides, it draws your eyes to the full picture, not just the tower up and down. The light head on is distracting, and without having that first pic, would be hard to know it was a beacon light.

Great shot,

Jared

Micheal, i too would say the top one of the light from side. It is a cleaner looking image and allows the silhouettes of the branches to remain strong in a constant color bg. It just feels more pleasing to view, for me
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Why choose?

Quote Originally Posted by mtresillian
    Hi,
    looking for ideas on which was the better way to go.......the more side view of the light or capture the sweep of the light. I know the first photo is a bit grainy, otherwise your critique is welcome as always
    cheers
    Michael
    Use them both. (be careful, there's a slight rotation between the two)

BTW, I like the colors and glittering lights in thes shot. Nice work.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A different view point-01.jpg  

Re: Why choose?

Like the top one with the light to the side, the first one i find distracting when i look at the photo,
    Could you fill us in on were it was taken also what it was taken with ?

Hi Knight,
    with pleasure.
    The photo was taken from Mont Martre. About 30m to the right (looking over paris) of the viewing platform just in front of the church. The first was a 6s exposure, the 2nd 8 seconds. My initial idea was to catch the sweep of the light across the photo, however I kind of preferred the 'misses' which are more pleasant to view. Not too sure what to do about the orange tint reflected by the clouds. I photoshopped them out with some colour adjustments but the sky kind of felt empty.
    The camera- Nikon F60, Fuji Superia 100. Scanned from negative prints.
    Michael

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

My vote is for the first pic also. I think the light is much more pleasing in the first than in the second. Also, I don't like how bright the building in the FG is in the 2nd shot. It draws my attention away from the main subject of your photo.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

I'd saw a different view point would be to go to the tower lit up like that at night, if possible get right under it, lay down, and shoot up at the center, or go to the top and shoot down the sides of it. As for this pick, it does look like different from most on the subject. It's neat, work with it.

I like the first one better, Maybe try to get a different vantage point because that house in the forground detracts.
    Jupiter,
    god of olympus

ARP
    Arie Rotshtein Photography

Hey,

I don't know if you knew BUT to snap the tower at NIGHT, It's © copyrights and you have to pay them in advance......NOT A JOKE anyway, you got lucky this time but for the next time watch you back (from the Frenchis off course ;)

I like them both but i wish not seen the branchs at all

AR

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ARP
    Hey,

I don't know if you knew BUT to snap the tower at NIGHT, It's ? copyrights and you have to pay them in advance......NOT A JOKE anyway, you got lucky this time but for the next time watch you back (from the Frenchis off course ;)
    AR

I was there in '98 and there were guys in full military garb walking around with machine guns. Were they the camera police?
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

ARP
    Arie Rotshtein Photography

Quote Originally Posted by mjs1973
    I was there in '98 and there were guys in full military garb walking around with machine guns. Were they the camera police?
    If you took the shots in '98 I guess you OK or maybe not ;)

Anyway check out the link and see it for yourself:

http://blog.fastcompany.com/archives...possessed.html

Take care

AR

Thanks for the info its a very beautifull photo of the city and tower.It helps when someone post`s the settings they use , im still in the full auto mode till next summer when i buy myself a new cam

Interesting link.
    Does this copyright count for photos prior to 2003? This photo was taken in 2002.
    I did hear about some law regarding tripods in Paris. My fiance's father was moved along once when he was using a tripod in a Parisian street, so they are even strict on their own people (he is French).
    Although I had no probs, and used the tripod a lot courtesy of the 100 film I used.
    Michael

Hi flight,
    At the risk of a lawsuit ;) I thought I would post this perspective. Not quite lying under or over it as you suggested but I like this perspective. Taken again with the 14mm sigma i mentioned in another post, I was only a few metres from the base and this lovely lens packed most of it into frame. Yes I chopped off the left hand side but I kind of like the incompleteness of it.

I have seen a photo looking directly up (my fiance's father has one), it works very well so good idea there. I also like your idea of the top down shot, could be very interesting. Maybe at dusk when there is enough light to get the surrounds but also dark enough for the lights to be on.
    Michael
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A different view point-eiffel.jpg  

Wow i have to go and C this one with my own eyes some day ,very impresive

Doesn't that law though apply to many things here in north america? For example you take a picture of the Wal-Mart sign and publish it, it's probably not legal, but they dont' mind it as long as your not bashing them.

Is it along that lines?!

Jared

Quote Originally Posted by mtresillian
    Hi flight,
    At the risk of a lawsuit ;) I thought I would post this perspective. Not quite lying under or over it as you suggested but I like this perspective. Taken again with the 14mm sigma i mentioned in another post, I was only a few metres from the base and this lovely lens packed most of it into frame. Yes I chopped off the left hand side but I kind of like the incompleteness of it.

I have seen a photo looking directly up (my fiance's father has one), it works very well so good idea there. I also like your idea of the top down shot, could be very interesting. Maybe at dusk when there is enough light to get the surrounds but also dark enough for the lights to be on.
    Michael
    I'm surprised someone took my suggestion

I've never seen the tower up close like that, perhaps a lot of people haven't, and maybe that is why I like that up close shot. The angles and lines of the metal girders are pretty sweet. Be sure to post that from the top looking down pic if you ever get a chance to take it!
    Jupiter,
    god of olympus

This is not My Pic

Found this in a google images search. Not my picture.
    http://www.kristenleep.com/blog/hell...0/_DSC0202.jpg

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

Re: Why choose?

I'm going to guess, without scrolling down
    Montmartre, we never went up there at night but I've got similar (but far more boring!) daytme views.
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

"Artisaliethatmakesusreali zetruth" PlantedTao's Avatar

I like that perspective! Very nice photo and I like how the the base is somewhat chopped off.
    The only thing I dislike about this picture is how it makes me want to go out and get that lens

Thread Information