Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Vietnam - Fishing Boat

This was pretty much just a holiday snap, taken with a fairly cheap fixed focus camera so it may be a little out of place here. I thought it came out ok though, so I decided to post it anyway.

I took out a lot of extraneous water to focus more on the boat, but I think the main problem is the exposure, which I had no control over. Either one of the figures looks too blown out, or if I try and adjust it the interior of the boat is lost. This was the best compromise I could come up with. I also converted to b&w, partly because I just love b&w images, but also I felt it made it look more timeless, which seemed to suit the subject matter.

It was taken in Hoi Ann on the coast of Vietnam. I got up early to go down to the market and watch the fish being brought in, and took this standing on a bridge as the boat was about to pass underneath me. The country was beautiful and the people couldn't have been friendlier to me, I'd love to go back.

Regards

matt

Re: Vietnam - Fishing Boat

I like this image and I find I like the tones in the water. A good point of view. I only wish I could see it larger to get a better feel for it.
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Thanks for the comment.

Always aiming to please, I'll post a larger version, although I'm afraid this may do more to reveal its faults than anything!

The scan is from a 6x4 print, so it was never going to be too sharp. If I ever get round to it I may print off a larger version from the negative.

Regards

matt

Great, the more I see the more I like. The waters tones and highlights are even more pleasing now, but the details add alot to this image. The various items in the boat, although some of them I cannot make out what they are, the very fact that I can see these things in the boat lends to the overall interest. I like the body language of the persons moving the boat along, such as the woman in the middle with her knees together and the other at the top with her legs and feet positioned to anchor her.
    Although the overall quality of the image is not tops, due to the cheap point and shoot camera you stated this was shot with, this is worthy of a larger print from the negative. The lack of technical quality in this pic does not bother me, as the image subject and composition is strong enough to hold its own. Well done.
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Thank you, I appreciate you taking the time to comment. I think I will try getting an enlargement printed from the negative, it looks like it could be worth it.

matt

If you are going to have this wonderful image printed, use your digital image file printed from a digital printer AFTER you have slightly burned in the two hats in the middle to help seperate them from their surroundings. Especially the one on the right. To me, they are the highlights to the overall photo.

Tuna

Tuna, thanks for the advice, I'll give it a go. You're absolutely right, I need to work on getting a bit of separation particularly between the hat on the right and the white shirt that the woman was wearing. This was definitely one of those lucky shots when I was just fortunate to be in the right place at the right time. It feels like cheating when you don't have any technical input!

matt

Thread Information