Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: The Spaniard

The Spaniard

Arcos de la Frontera, Spain.

All comments are appreciated.

Tuna
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Spaniard-spain41re.jpg  

Re: The Spaniard

Another great photo, the only bit that I find totally distracting is that blasted TV ariel right in the centre of the picture.

Other than that the shadows and the brightness are excellent.
    "I hope we will never see the day when photo shops sell little schema grills to clamp onto our viewfinders; and the Golden Rule will never be found etched on our ground glass." from The mind's eye by Henri Cartier-Bresson

My Web Site: www.readingr.com

DSLR
    Canon 5D; EF100-400 F4.5-5.6L IS USM; EF24-70 F2.8L USM 50mm F1.8 II; EF 100 F2.8 Macro
    Digital
    Canon Powershot Pro 1; Canon Ixus 100

Quote Originally Posted by readingr
    Another great photo, the only bit that I find totally distracting is that blasted TV ariel right in the centre of the picture.

Other than that the shadows and the brightness are excellent.
    Thank you for your comments.

Yes, you're right. It is a distraction. Aerial noted and removed...

Tuna
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Nicely done with the ariel removed. I liked the first one as well though. In all honesty, I was taken in more by the shadows and highlights then caring about the ariel.

Once again, another nice image from you.

Moderator of Critiques/Hearder of Cats mtbbrian's Avatar

Tuna!

I can't believe you "PS'd" the antenna out!
    You shot it that way, you should have left it!
    Anyway...
    :
    My "Personal" Photography Website...
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...
    Nikon Samurai #2 - Emeritus
    See more of my photography here...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

"Photography Is An Act Of Life" - Maine 2006

I like it better without the antenna. I think I'd like it even better without the wire running up the wall. That's the only thing left that detracts from the "old-world" feel. But maybe that kind of sanitation is frowned upon given the reaction to the antenna removal.

Re: Tuna!

Quote Originally Posted by mtbbrian
    I can't believe you "PS'd" the antenna out!
    You shot it that way, you should have left it!
    Anyway...

(I guess the horror of what I did in my previous post titled "The Magical Garden Tour" escaped your notice...) ;)

Tuna

Oh pipe down!
    PS or no PS, we are people who appreciate beautiful photographs, not the means at which they were produced.

"...I prefer inspiration to information."
    -Man Ray

Okay now I'm P**sd

How do you do that, I mean the removal of the ariel. Every time I try to delete something anoying from a photo I make an absolute mess of it.

Any tips PLEASE!!!

P.S. I forgot to mention I much prefer it without the ariel - nice one
    "I hope we will never see the day when photo shops sell little schema grills to clamp onto our viewfinders; and the Golden Rule will never be found etched on our ground glass." from The mind's eye by Henri Cartier-Bresson

My Web Site: www.readingr.com

DSLR
    Canon 5D; EF100-400 F4.5-5.6L IS USM; EF24-70 F2.8L USM 50mm F1.8 II; EF 100 F2.8 Macro
    Digital
    Canon Powershot Pro 1; Canon Ixus 100

Good shot. I like it better with the aerial gone. As for the PS editing, as long as no one is hurt, the ends justifies the means.
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Nicely fixed, but the aerial wasn't even noticed by me until mentioned. Nice shot. Great light throughout the picture.

Tuna, I really like a lot of the shots you post, and especially with b&w I'm always looking for tips and inspiration from you!

I'm in two minds about this pic, there's a lot which is pleasing, but one or two things which are slightly jarring and I'm struggling to put my finger on what they are.

All I've come up with so far is firstly the camera's POV - it is difficult to make sense of how it fits into the scene, and by apparently floating above it gives it a slightly detached perspective. For this photo I think I wanted to feel a bit more connected to the figure, I wanted to be there with him and I need more of a visual clue to place me there (if that makes any sense!).

That brings me to the second thing - I don't think I am getting enough of the figure's character in this shot. I get a sense of a purposeful walk, but there isn't enough context for me to build a story around where that walk is going to, or what this man is like. Leaving the viewer with lots of questions can work in some shots, but here I felt I needed one of those Cartier-Bresson style "decisive moments" to bring the scene together and fill in some of the gaps.

Just random thoughts, but I hope there is something useful in that. Will be looking out eagerly for more.

Regards,

matt

Quote Originally Posted by mattp
    All I've come up with so far is firstly the camera's POV - it is difficult to make sense of how it fits into the scene, and by apparently floating above it gives it a slightly detached perspective. For this photo I think I wanted to feel a bit more connected to the figure, I wanted to be there with him and I need more of a visual clue to place me there (if that makes any sense!).

That brings me to the second thing - I don't think I am getting enough of the figure's character in this shot. I get a sense of a purposeful walk, but there isn't enough context for me to build a story around where that walk is going to, or what this man is like. Leaving the viewer with lots of questions can work in some shots, but here I felt I needed one of those Cartier-Bresson style "decisive moments" to bring the scene together and fill in some of the gaps.

Regards,

matt
    Matt, I'm glad the photo inspired you to elaborate your thoughts. I agree that the "decisive moment" shots that tell a definitive story of the moment at hand have great impact. But, personally, I liked this image for it's own "decisive moment" - however ambivalent and open to interpretation as it may be.

Also, thanks to all of you who have taken the time to comment.

With grave and sincere apologies to Brian, I have reworked the photo once again and am posting the results. Black border added due to increased contrast on the white page backdrop.

Worth the effort?

Tuna
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Spaniard-thespaniardcrbor.jpg  
    Last edited by Tuna; 12-16-2004 at 02:26 PM. Reason: wrong photo...

Moderator of Critiques/Hearder of Cats mtbbrian's Avatar

What is this three times?!
    Come on man!
    ;)
    No need to apologize!
    Brian
    Last edited by mtbbrian; 12-16-2004 at 04:27 PM. Reason: Three not four...
    My "Personal" Photography Website...
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...
    Nikon Samurai #2 - Emeritus
    See more of my photography here...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

"Photography Is An Act Of Life" - Maine 2006

Thread Information