Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Took my new tele lens out in the rain...

I wanted to try out my tele conversion lens that I recently purchased for my camera (Sony f717), so I headed out in the pouring rain. I was driving all around trying to find something I could shoot from inside my car. Missed one great opportunity of five men running across the busy highway in the rain with laundry baskets held over their heads. Why did I miss it? Well, I had just turned the corner and couldnt exactly stop in the middle of traffic and drag out my huge looking lens. It was impossible, trust me. Actually I did follow them to a side street and managed to catch them at the nest intersection but the pic sucks because of the angle and didn't have the impact of the busy highway. (if you want to see it, I'll show it but.. no good). Well, next I went along a canal to shoot some ducks etc...they sucked too. Here's the pic of that..cut off feet and tail. You have no idea how hard that was to hold my camera with loooooong lens out the window with the rain coming in and getting on it. Anyway, tried taking a pic of the boat from about 30 yards or more. I wasn't fast enough and ended up focusing on the grass. Then, while looking through the lens, i saw something that upset me so much, I had to go home and quit shooting.(bottom pic). All in all... crappy day. Just sharing.
    ~ Kit
    Last edited by shesells; 09-22-2007 at 07:07 PM.

Nice new lens, though! Are you liking it?
    Drink Coffee. Do stupid things faster with more energy.

Seb
    Quote Originally Posted by shesells
    I wanted to try out my tele conversion lens that I recently purchased for my camera (Sony f717), so I headed out in the pouring rain. I was driving all around trying to find something I could shoot from inside my car. Missed one great opportunity of five men running across the busy highway in the rain with laundry baskets held over their heads. Why did I miss it? Well, I had just turned the corner and couldnt exactly stop in the middle of traffic and drag out my huge looking lens. It was impossible, trust me. Actually I did follow them to a side street and managed to catch them at the nest intersection but the pic sucks because of the angle and didn't have the impact of the busy highway. (if you want to see it, I'll show it but.. no good). Well, next I went along a canal to shoot some ducks etc...they sucked too. Here's the pic of that..cut off feet and tail. You have no idea how hard that was to hold my camera with loooooong lens out the window with the rain coming in and getting on it. Anyway, tried taking a pic of the boat from about 30 yards or more. I wasn't fast enough and ended up focusing on the grass. Then, while looking through the lens, i saw something that upset me so much, I had to go home and quit shooting.(bottom pic). All in all... crappy day. Just sharing.
    ~ Kit
    Hey Kit,

I can feel your pain here. These kind of crappy days happen to me every once in a while. Looking at the bright side, the lense seems to work quite well, if I look at the vivid colours and interesting textures of the first picture. I think that the second one could work if the background was either empty or more blurried. The rain in the wind look quite nice, unfortunatelly, the guys and the boat end up being a major distraction (in the context of an abstract on the rain that is).

I'd like to see more of your works with that new lense when you will have the opportunity to go for another shooting session.

regards

Seb

Never fails...

Never fails, when you want to go out and play it RAINS. Look like a nice new lens though good sharp details. Keep posting and show us more when you get them.

To Kelly...

Quote Originally Posted by kellybean
    Nice new lens, though! Are you liking it?
    Kelly, I don't really know if I do. Right now it seems so spastic to use, because I have to figure out how close is too close, etc. Haven't taken a good enough pic to tell the quality but seems to be sharp. BTW I have a question for you. You have the canon digi rebel right? How do you like it? Is it true that you can use 35mm lenses with it? I'm asking because I have the Canon Rebel 2000 slr and could kick myself for not getting the digital rebel since I own lots of lenses and accessories for the Rebel. I would have saved a lot of money if that is the case. The tele and wide angle for the sony were $300 each from sony so thats an investment I wouldn't have had to make. Granted I did get them at the academicsuperstore at a little less, but still expensive. Since I don't use the canon at all now since going digital..what a waste. Let me know if you can.
    Thanks Kelly,
    ~Kit

To Seb...

Quote Originally Posted by Seb
    Hey Kit,

I can feel your pain here. These kind of crappy days happen to me every once in a while. Looking at the bright side, the lense seems to work quite well, if I look at the vivid colours and interesting textures of the first picture. I think that the second one could work if the background was either empty or more blurried. The rain in the wind look quite nice, unfortunatelly, the guys and the boat end up being a major distraction (in the context of an abstract on the rain that is).

I'd like to see more of your works with that new lense when you will have the opportunity to go for another shooting session.

regards

Seb
    Beleive me, these are all headed for the trash, except maybe the last one where homeless people live. I'm gonna keep that one around to remind myself every now and then. I guess I really never see that kind of thing very often so it shakes me up.
    Makes me feel selfish and I was embarrassed taking the shot. I'm at a loss with this lens, first trying to just hold it, second trying to control it. It will take some practice but thank you so much.. you are always so encouraging, to everyone I've noticed. I'll post more when I make them, but don't forget I have to play with my new wide angle too.
    ~ Kit

Intermediate member bobbythebandit's Avatar
    I like the composition in the second one as well as the third. Dont throw these away.
    Bobby

Quote Originally Posted by shesells
    Kelly, I don't really know if I do. Right now it seems so spastic to use, because I have to figure out how close is too close, etc. Haven't taken a good enough pic to tell the quality but seems to be sharp. BTW I have a question for you. You have the canon digi rebel right? How do you like it? Is it true that you can use 35mm lenses with it? I'm asking because I have the Canon Rebel 2000 slr and could kick myself for not getting the digital rebel since I own lots of lenses and accessories for the Rebel. I would have saved a lot of money if that is the case. The tele and wide angle for the sony were $300 each from sony so thats an investment I wouldn't have had to make. Granted I did get them at the academicsuperstore at a little less, but still expensive. Since I don't use the canon at all now since going digital..what a waste. Let me know if you can.
    Thanks Kelly,
    ~Kit
    I had trouble with my new 75-300 lens when I first got it, too. I'm still not terribly comfortable with it, although I find myself using it in more situations than I thought, which I didn't expect. Mine is so sharp too, I think that was the most fun part of getting it. I can appreciate the most boring shots just because of the quality of the lens!

As for your questions regarding the digital Rebel: I like it very much. I love both my Rebels, in fact. I was thrilled out of my skin when I first got it, but now that I've been on these boards for a couple weeks, I'm realizing just how much I have yet to learn about it. As far as the camera goes, I don't think there's anything I'd change about it. As far as the USER of the camera (me), there's a lot I'm changing. I need to pull out the manual and make sure my settings are right on it, and learn how to use it to its full capacity. I've been using mostly automatic settings up till now, which I fully expected to do when I bought it...I wanted a camera that gave me good shots in automatic, yet gave me the capacity to learn and grow with the same camera. I love that the lenses are interchangeable, except for the kit lens that came with it, but I need to replace it with a better quality lens anyway. So I've got two cameras and three lenses, which cover nearly all situations.

So what I'm saying is, I'm extremely happy with the camera, and I'm very excited about all that I'm learning and going to learn. My two Rebels give me film and digital options, plus the opportunity to grow without a *huge* investment ($2000 total? 2 cameras including two kit lenses + two good lenses). I've included the cost of the second lens I plan to buy.

I can't comment on the Sony because I know nothing about cameras that I don't own, since I never researched them. I just trusted the DRebel because I loved my Rebel Ti so much. And the Ti was an impulse purchase.
    Drink Coffee. Do stupid things faster with more energy.

Liz

Looks like

a nice lens. Sharp, good color rendition. Bad weather day and all, these aren't bad, IMO. I actually like the 2nd one the best - sharp blades of grass, a tree, and the men in the boat in the rain & wind give it some class.

I have the Rebel 300D and absolutely love it. Save those Canon lenses. I think within a couple of months the price on the Rebel will come down quite a bit - I'm sure Canon will bring out their new cameras in October - so you may be able to swing it.

However, it looks like the lens you just got is a good lens. Since I've "gone digital" I've recycled all my lenses. Now I have fewer lenses, but better glass.

Liz

Hello Kit

Like you, I really like the third image......great uban landscape. The rain gives theses images a great texture which I like very much.

I can empathise with you re taking pics in the rain. I was driving home in the country last weekend and saw a raptor (small eagle or hawk - not sure which) flying pretty low to the ground. By the time I got myself organised he had gone. I find using the camera in the car uncomfortable and almost impossible with a longer lens. I think you have done well to get the images so sharp - must give you great hope for when the finer weather comes.

I have been shooting with a Canon 300D (Rebel) for a short time and am very pleased with the lens capabilities - all EF lenses are interchangable between the film and digital cameras on the EOS range, I understand.

I look forward to more of your postings using your new lens
    Andy S
    Focus on the positive!

Thanks so much everyone...

Old Timer: Thank you for your encouraging words. The sad this is that it was raining when I left! masochist I guess.

Bobby: Ok, let me take a better look. They were just for practice but I see what you mean. I throw away about 50% of my work, but now that I have more than myself to judge, maybe I'll start burning them to disc. Thanks for just saying that simple thing. You never know what effect you will have on someone.

Seb: Thanks for letting me know that I didn't waste my money on that lens. None of these pics mean a thing to me, I just wanted to know if I had made a good purchase. I do think I did because of the things you mentioned, and I do value your opinion.

Kelly: That is just more info than I ever thought I would get. I will definately keep looking for the Rebel to go on sale. I've noticed a few people on this forum who use it and they are all happy with it and with the quality of the shots. Thanks again for taking all the time you do to pump me up.

Liz: Yet another person who loves their Rebel.. Grrr... I'm jealous. And I'm stupid for not getting it. I'm glad you see some merit in these photos, but beleive me, it was accidental if there is. lol I will save the lenses and I'm sure I'll buy the Rebel when it goes down in price. I may sell the Rebel 2000 though because I don't see ever going back to film.

Andy: Geez, does it never end? keep rubbing it in! lol You're making me want to run out and buy that dang thing. Prob is I'v only had my Sony for 2 months and it wasn't cheap. Thanks for finding some good in these shots.

All of you are sweet and full of good advice.
    ~ Kit

Thread Information