Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>

Opteka 2x magnifier lens Review

Well...... I bought the 2x magnifier from 47st photo off of eBay. This purchase was for my Olympus C-765uz.
    47st photo shipped promptly, well packaged.
    The lens looks good. The 46.5mm to 52mm step up ring looks and fits good. The lens cap is crapola......

The picture quality is poor. I don't have any shots to show now but will try later. The center of focus is fairly clear, but the outer edges are blurry. This blurry edge is a circle around the center. Everything except the center looks like crap. The only way to get a shot that is remotely usable is in GOOD light with the lens zoomed all the way to the stops.

I guess the bottom line is.... a $37 lens is just that.... CHEAP. You get what you pay for!

BUT I did get LOTS of comments and questions about the Huge lens on my camera from the people who saw it! It definately LOOKs interesting.....

I'm glad I didn't spend the extra $$$ for the 58mm filters to use on top of the lens. I'll use the 52mm step up ring with 52mm filters and junk the lens.

Re: Opteka 2x magnifier lens Review

Thank you for the good review. I know how exasperating it is to hear how great (grate? Ha, ha) something is and it's junk. I was looking to buy one of these but now I won't. I thank you! I am using a Sigma 58mm Macro diopter from a 70-300mm Sigma and it works really well with my Sony F828. I was looking at the Opteka Crapalekta attachment but since you panned it after using it, I know better. Again-thank you! We have to stick together and help each other out on purchases.

Don

Quote Originally Posted by soilsample
    Well...... I bought the 2x magnifier from 47st photo off of eBay. This purchase was for my Olympus C-765uz.
    47st photo shipped promptly, well packaged.
    The lens looks good. The 46.5mm to 52mm step up ring looks and fits good. The lens cap is crapola......

The picture quality is poor. I don't have any shots to show now but will try later. The center of focus is fairly clear, but the outer edges are blurry. This blurry edge is a circle around the center. Everything except the center looks like crap. The only way to get a shot that is remotely usable is in GOOD light with the lens zoomed all the way to the stops.

I guess the bottom line is.... a $37 lens is just that.... CHEAP. You get what you pay for!

BUT I did get LOTS of comments and questions about the Huge lens on my camera from the people who saw it! It definately LOOKs interesting.....

I'm glad I didn't spend the extra $$$ for the 58mm filters to use on top of the lens. I'll use the 52mm step up ring with 52mm filters and junk the lens.

Thanks for the review. I've always been hesitant to buy one, I mean it's a great price but I had never known the quality of them. Great review and thanks alot for the heads-up,

Jared

I bought a Opteka .45X lens for my a650is from 47st photo and it does not double the field of view as Opteka claims! It is more like a .7X lens...not even close to a .45X. Opteka shares the same address as 47th st photo and Opteka will not answer any of my e-mails when I ask about this issue, probably because of the tie with 47st photo. I have found other people with the same complaint. I would be very careful buying from them as their advertising is not accurate!!! You will end up paying a return fee even though 47st photo has incorrect and misleading product descriptions!

I bought a 2x Opteka extender that I am really happy with. Regarding customer service, I have always gotten responses from Matt at Opteka within hours. Matter of fact, I am looking at the 3x as we speak. And, here is one of the photos I shot at a granddaughter's soccer game. I use a Sony A200 DSLR.
    jtisch
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by soilsample
    The 46.5mm to 52mm step up ring looks and fits good. The lens cap is crapola......

The picture quality is poor.

Could the 46.5mm to 52mm step up ring be causing your problem? That would set the new lens farther away from the primary lens. That can't be good...
    Bob in Denver
    ==========
    Larger photos always available in my user gallery
    http://gallery.photographyreview.com...&ppuser=278310

Well, to be frank, your experience rather goes with the territory when you use teleconverters on a fixed mounted lens. On ANY lens for that matter. It throws off the focusing distance, thereby affecting clarity, makes the lens slower, and you run into vignetting and barreling at the extreme ends of the focal length. And you gotta know that going since all it really does is magnify - it doens't extend the focal length at all.

Thread Information