Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: Sisters.

Beware: Mom With Camera

Sisters.

I've learned a new trick in photoshop, and I used it here... soft filter! I think it's a little overkill, but i was excited. As always, comments appreciated.

Kate

The pose is great, I love the moment you've captured and I really get a very sentimental, warm feeling from this image. *Slight* overkill on the softness ;-) but it's an image that it works well for!
    I like it a lot!

Take care,
    Eva

just me
    Quote Originally Posted by ChaosCubed
    I've learned a new trick in photoshop, and I used it here... soft filter! I think it's a little overkill, but i was excited. As always, comments appreciated.

What a lovely image.. I find it extremely pleasing even with the slight "overkill" with the filter, but it works. It's very touching. I always look for greeting cards of this nature for my sister, and I would be drawn to this image. There certainly is a lot to learn in photoshop..
    CJ

This is beautiful, Kate. moment, framing exposure, b&w and the soft filter is a good compliment for this image. . .enhances the dreamy feel. The only problem I have with this is the bg sort of absorbs the girls a bit much. They almost get lost in the bg. I would like to see how it would look if you were to darken the bg and maybe add a bit of gaussian blur. Might help boost them out of that distraction. . . . .just my feeling about it.
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

What Gary said....
    D200 = Digital F100
    I have achieved nirvana.

Quote Originally Posted by ChaosCubed
    The softness adds a dreamy quality but I'm not sure I care for how the filter seems to work leaving harder dark lines around the cheeks and chins. I'd try some other way to achieve the softness. Maybe copy the original to a new layer, apply a gaussien blur and then cut the opacity on the top layer to control the amount of softness.
    Nice shot.

Beware: Mom With Camera

Thanks for the replies, everyone!

I actually just caught this shot when I wasn't meaning too (which is often the case with children, I guess). The girls wanted their photo taken when I was working with the baby, so I humored them. I'm not that fond of the background either, but alas when working outdoors you don't get a lot of choice other than trees around here. :lol

As for the softness effect, chunk -- I did it how you explained, but I made the top filter an overlay. Maybe I will try it with just two normal layers. I kind of like the overlay effect in that it DOES bump up the saturation and the contrast.
    Kate

Thread Information