Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: Sisters

It's hurricane season... again...

Sisters

My first impression was that I loved this photo. Now I'm not so sure, and would be interested in some other opinions. Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by kkraczek; 04-08-2004 at 09:21 PM.
    Kristin
    Canon Bird Nerd #2

The thing that really bugs me about this shot is the way it's framed / cropped. I don't mind having both of their faces partially obscured in general, but any eye that's in a portrait... needs to be all the way in. The problem here is that I can see parts of one eye on each of them, and it's very distracting. One eye per kid or both, but not 1.5 eyes.
    ;)

Also, the contrast is a little flat.
    D200 = Digital F100
    I have achieved nirvana.

We just can't have nice things... darkrainfall's Avatar
    I would have to agree with PuckJunkey on this one... the 1.5 eyes are distracting, imo. Perhaps since you are cropping things, you might want to crop in a little closer on the tops of their heads as well... It would draw more attention directly to their faces and eyes... particularly to their expressions. You've done a great job of capturing the expressions and I love the duality... one girl looks serious, the other, playful. It's gives a lot of meaning to identify them as sisters too. If you do decide to crop it, post the revision back up, I'd like to see it. This is a pretty good photo. *smile*

It's hurricane season... again...
    Thanks to both of you... how about this one? P.S. I actually meant to only get one of each eye in the original photo, but I can never seem to get it right, since my eyepiece leaves out like 5% or something. Practice, practice, practice! ;)

Also Puck, do you think I should add density to correct for the flatness? Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Kristin
    Canon Bird Nerd #2

We just can't have nice things... darkrainfall's Avatar
    I like the cropped version, it works... at least in my opinion it does. You should perhaps do something about the flat color... play with the levels and curves and color balance... if you don't like something you can always cancel or undo.

Thread Information