Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Critique: Meet your Grandpa

This shot was taken 2 days after my son was born. It is a shot of his Grandpa holding him for the first time at the hospital.

Comments? Suggestions?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Meet your Grandpa-dad-l-nicholas.jpg  
    Last edited by MaxPower; 08-04-2004 at 09:37 AM.

Exposure

I like this shot, it captures a wonderful moment. I like the composition, and the angle from which you shot it. Personally I think it is underexposed though. I would try lightening up the subjects a bit, but not the wall on the left side of the frame. You might need to increase contrast too.

Congratulations on the birth of your son!

Spike

Quote Originally Posted by MaxPower
    This shot was taken 2 days after my son was born. It is a shot of his Grandpa holding him for the first time at the hospital.

Comments? Suggestions?

I really like the angle as well, you've managed to catch both of them nicely (hard to do). I like the light reflecting on Grandpa's face, very nice. I wish your son was a bit more focused, but one can't have everything... Congratulations!! Look forward to seeing lots of pictures of your new son! :-)

Take care,
    Eva

Thanks for the suggestions.

I wish that the photo wasn't quite underexposed. I should have bracketed the shot in hindsight.

I was using a large aperture to get the DOF which in turn probably caused my son to become slightly out of focus. Live and learn.

My son is now six months old. They grow fast! I posted another picture on another thread here if you're interested:

Calling all moms---and dads

Very nice image. Very emotive.......being a grandad myself I can relate, as I am sure a lot of other views do, to this intimate moment.

I think the black & white suits the image well, although the white on the wall is almost too much.

I think a closer crop would increase the impact of the moment and focus more on the couple. I played a little in photoshop CS with a crop and the shadow/highlight. I was able to bring out some of the "character" in grandad but the baby remains a little soft.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Meet your Grandpa-dad-l-nicholas.jpg  
    Focus on the positive!

Quote Originally Posted by Irish
    Very nice image. Very emotive.......being a grandad myself I can relate, as I am sure a lot of other views do, to this intimate moment.

I think the black & white suits the image well, although the white on the wall is almost too much.

I think a closer crop would increase the impact of the moment and focus more on the couple. I played a little in photoshop CS with a crop and the shadow/highlight. I was able to bring out some of the "character" in grandad but the baby remains a little soft.
    Thanks for the input.

When I went to get the image enlarged to an 8 X10, 35 mm by it's nature does not enlarge to a true 8 X 10. So I had to physically crop the image and the final outcome was very similar to what you have done.

it's good to see that great minds think alike ;)

I really like the detail you were able to bring out in my Father-in-law. It makes it a much better picture. Unfortunately though, the white on the wall is the window and I was leaning up against the wall to try and minimize the impact of the window. Close but no cigar.

Thread Information