Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Reflections of the eye...

Literally...

In my never ending quest to figure out how to get the perfect shot of a horse's eye, I took one of Shadow's eye and one of Blue's eye today when I took my digital rebel to the barn for the first time.

I was surprised by the amount of reflection in the eyes when I opened the files up. I'm guessing that this is the type of detail I couldn't really in the print film. I can make out me, the sky, and the trees behind me reflecting in Shadow's eye.

I've got the original and two crops. What works best?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Reflections of the eye...-shadoweye.jpg   Reflections of the eye...-shadoweyezooml.jpg   Reflections of the eye...-shadoweyezoomv.jpg  

Re: Reflections of the eye...

I don't like having my attention drawn to the goop in the corner of his eye, so for that reason I like the first one better. Plus, you can tell it's a horse, rather than an elephant or whatnot from a tighter crop.
    Drink Coffee. Do stupid things faster with more energy.

I like the first one too, for the reasons kelly stated, but maybe try putting some more color on the eye section to bring out the reflection.

I selected the eye and increased the saturation. Is it too much? I don't want it to look unnatural.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Reflections of the eye...-shadoweyesat.jpg  

i liked the center crop but maybe a little larger. not as large as you made it.

decide if you wnat the reflection or a horses head. i like the reflection. as a matter of fact you can see how easy it would be to stand you and him both at a little different angle and the possibilities are endless. ;)

Yeah, it does look unnatural. It looks like a pearlized marble now. I think if you do any adjustments you should do it to the whole image.

I took the liberty to play around a bit with your image. I think I've gone a bit overboard in bringing out some of the blues, but on the other hand, I really like the reds and browns that were exposed. I increased the midtones using curves, increased the saturation of the whole image, and also played a bit with lightening up the shadows.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Reflections of the eye...-shadoweye1.jpg  
    Drink Coffee. Do stupid things faster with more energy.

Kelly's color adjustment is perfect. Exactly what you need!

Thread Information