Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

New Year's Eve at the London Eye, #1

Looks like I'm posting again!

I did attend the New Years Eve Fireworks at the London Eye, which were phenomenal, but I was in the middle of the crowd and got no decent pictures of it. However, I took a flight earlier in the day, and got some pretty neat shots.

Here's one, after the Eye has closed for the day to prepare for the evening's fireworks. Note how the clouds have moved in ominously. When I post earlier pictures, you'll see the clouds moving in.

But I wanted to post this one first.

Comments?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Year's Eve at the London Eye, #1-178_7825_jfr.jpg  
    Drink Coffee. Do stupid things faster with more energy.

Re: New Year's Eve at the London Eye, #1

Good pic, Kelly. It shows the typical darkness you would expect. Composition is great IMO and I really like the subtile lights in the clouds and of the Big Ben at the background. Well done.

Frank
    Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard drive?

Lovely shot. Originally, I thought it was the black and white, but those colors on the bottom are quite appealing. I love Big Ben with those subtle, saturated colors, and the red glow on the other building.

Good shot, and good use of colors,
    Jared

Very ominous looking indeed...You half expect to have Jack the Ripper jump out at you...

But I love how you've made the Eye look like some abanoned carnival ride, certainly not the Eye I remember riding... More "Something Wicked This Way Comes" than "jolly old London"...

I don't know how to put this, but...I'm kind of a big deal...People know me.

My Dumb Web Page

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

"Look kids, Big Ben, parliament... I just can't get over"

A very nice pic you have here Kelly. I love the subtle colors and the comp works well here also. It's great to see you posting again too!
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Very nice. Did you use a wide angle lense on this, or just turn the camera sideways? It looks great with the looming wheel and the quiet city hiding beneath...spooky
    Always play as if no one is listening.

Nice shot kelly. The comp. is great so are the subtle colours. . I wish those branches on the top right weren't there though.
    Liban

"There is nothing like returning to a place that remains unchanged to find the ways in which you yourself have." Nelson Mandela

Nikon Samurai #23 - The Alexei Ponikarovsky of PR

Havana Cuba Photography

Quote Originally Posted by kellybean
    Looks like I'm posting again!

I did attend the New Years Eve Fireworks at the London Eye, which were phenomenal, but I was in the middle of the crowd and got no decent pictures of it. However, I took a flight earlier in the day, and got some pretty neat shots.

Here's one, after the Eye has closed for the day to prepare for the evening's fireworks. Note how the clouds have moved in ominously. When I post earlier pictures, you'll see the clouds moving in.

But I wanted to post this one first.

Comments?
    Is this the Kelly that said there was nothing to photograph in London???? :-)

Well for a photo of nothing you did a brilliant job in capturing it. The colours you've captured are terrific and its one of the best and unique shots I have ever seen of Big Ben and Westminster Abbey,

The only minor nit pick are those branches top right.

Good work in capturing the british Winter weather.
    "I hope we will never see the day when photo shops sell little schema grills to clamp onto our viewfinders; and the Golden Rule will never be found etched on our ground glass." from The mind's eye by Henri Cartier-Bresson

My Web Site: www.readingr.com

DSLR
    Canon 5D; EF100-400 F4.5-5.6L IS USM; EF24-70 F2.8L USM 50mm F1.8 II; EF 100 F2.8 Macro
    Digital
    Canon Powershot Pro 1; Canon Ixus 100

Kelly, as Roger said already, looks like you found something after all;). Great comp and feel here. I only would have liked the string of lights and the branches on top to be gone. But as ide from that, You have captured a unique scene. Well done
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Hi Kelly. I hope you had a good time on your trip. I visited there last July and enjoyed it very much (though it was pretty expensive...).

I like what you are trying to do with your image - including the scenery in the background - but I think it looks a little awkward. Maybe it's because the horizon is so close to the bottom of the picture - maybe because the lower part of the image is a little too busy on the left side. To achieve better what you were trying to do might require shooting from a higher angle or a with a wider lens - which would also require your going back for a re-shoot... ;)

By the way, did you ride the Eye?

Tuna

Thread Information