Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

red,white and green

sorry about the unimaginative title...trying out manual settings shot at night lighting fixture storefront... settings were using an 18- 50mm at 22mm, 1/250th, f/6.3, ISo 1600.

any thoughts welcome specifically opinions on the DOF and lighting/exposure.

Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "I was not trying to be shocking, or to be a pioneer.
    I wasn't trying to change society, or to be ahead of my time.
    I didn't think of myself as liberated, and I don't believe that I did anything important.
    I was just myself. I didn't know any other way to be, or any other way to live."
    Bettie Page

My Temp site...

Kind of neat. I like the idea, but I think I might like more saturated colors better, looks kind of muted on my monitor.

What did you think about the iso 1600? Are you shooting with the d70? I don't remember. I did some portraits at 1600 with the 10d the other day, and I had a lot more noise. But I wanted a grainy look, so I underexposed a little too. Ultimately got what I wanted, but I haven't tried it that fast when I was shooting for "normal" grain/noise.

adina

o.k. I have tp confess

that most of the time my camera is stuck on 1600 because I always forget to change it accordingly dork I know!

I have yet to get any problems with grain even in as low a lighting as a votive candle.....

I'll try to add a smidge more saturation but it looks pretty accurate from what I saw in the store...
    I didn't think of myself as liberated, and I don't believe that I did anything important.
    I was just myself. I didn't know any other way to be, or any other way to live."
    Bettie Page

My Temp site...

any other takers here

o.k. I'll settle for a less extensive qrtique but give me some feedback please
    Bettie Page

My Temp site...

I like it...

You've cropped in tightly enough that my eye progresses nicely from front to back and front again without being jarred in any way. The colors look nice on my CRT and obviously compliment each other (by definition) well. DOF works well as the middle light is not too blurred (which I think might've thrown the look of it a bit). Finally I think that without the pure black background, this shot wouldn't work nearly as well, so you definitely made the right decision on that count.

I can't say I pick up a specific mood of this shot because those colors tend to set moods all their own when shot separately, but it's a nice abstraction / could make for a nice piece for the kitchen wall perhaps?
    D200 = Digital F100
    I have achieved nirvana.

ok, here goes...

Nat,

I've looked at this a few times during the past couple days, and I've come to the following conclusions. (drum roll please ) First off, clearly you are drawn to lamps! Second, I like the colors and textures of the lamps, and IMO the technical aspects of this shot are fine. Of course, the black background really helps offset the nice colors. The composition is fine. But ultimately, I am not really DRAWN to this photo. In other words, I don't find it appealing beyond the things I've already mentioned. To me, this photo has a feel as if the lamp company would place it in a magazine, for advertisement... now, that can be a compliment if that's what you were shooting for!

Anyway, I hope this helps. I don't have any real suggestions for improvement, unfortunately. I'm just hoping to give you my objective take on it

Cheers, Stew

Lol

if their was such a thing as reincarnation I would be a light bulb,,,LOL

I love light and lamps and any light source to play with...thnaks for the specific input it's exactly what I wanted...even if wasn't your cup of tea( boston pun HA!)
    Bettie Page

My Temp site...

thanks for studying it so closely and seeing as I did. actually a kitchen shot it would be great we live in a wonderful old house that has light limey green floors ...it would work...thanks again.
    Bettie Page

My Temp site...

You bet...

D200 = Digital F100
    I have achieved nirvana.

I give you alot of credit for your creativity and seeing a scene or image in something so ordinary that most of us would miss it.
    I like this as it is and agree with a few things Puckjunkey stated and some of what Stew has said.
    I think the black bg makes this shot as effective as it is, and the dof is ok for me. The colors, in my opinion do not need to be saturated any deeper. They are good , somewhat soft , but I like that for this shot.
    I would only agree with Stew in that this might not be my cup of tea either, but I think if I were to see this shot framed and on display somewhere ,m I would think it was rather clever and creative.
    By the way, I think it was funny how when asked about your using a 1600 iso , you said you used it because you forgot to change it. . . .down to earth as well. Keep em coming
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

My eye just keeps jumping between the bright blown-out spot and the dark are in the upper right. The lines are too subdued to keep my attention, and they all lead my eye out of the frame.

Good idea, but overall doesn't work IMO. Did you take any others? If something like this catches your eye, take manu shots all with different framing.
    -Seb

My website

(Please don't edit and repost my images without my permission. Thank you)

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

Thread Information