Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Observation Tower . . .b&w

Tower taken at approx. 22mm,polarizer,and Kodak ultra color 100 converted to b&w in Jasc psp8. Some levels, burning, dodging. What do you think?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Observation Tower . . .b&w-perkinsmemorialtower1004-121705xbwweb.jpg  
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Re: Observation Tower . . .b&w

I like how the tower and clouds contrast with the dark sky. The steps in the FG threw me off at first until I realized they are much closer to you than the tower. The apparent size of the door compared to the steps required a second look. As with all architectual photographs with wide angle shots, angles of building lines can be a challenge. While the dominant line of the nearest corner is vertical, the right edge appears to lean more than the left edge. It gives an overall effect of a slight lean to the left. I wonder how this would look if rotated slightly clockwise.
    The composition has somewhat of a desolate mood that I think was helped along with your choice of B&W. Nice work.
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by gahspidy
    Tower taken at approx. 22mm,polarizer,and Kodak ultra color 100 converted to b&w in Jasc psp8. Some levels, burning, dodging. What do you think?
    Thanks Bill. Yeah, desolation and drear are what I seem to be going for usually when I shoot. Even though this was a beautiful clear blue skies crisp morning, I thought the scene had some dreary potential. I saw what you point out with the lines, but felt that leaving the tower in it's current perspective gave it a more "towering" feel and maybe a little more menacing at the same time. But if this does not seem to be the case, I will consider straightening or correcting the perspective a bit. Good point about the steps. Yes, they do not lead up to the door and are much closer to the viewer. Thanks for the time to comment.

gary

Excuse me while I burn in the sky Clicker's Avatar

Very Cool Picture, The first thing that caught my eye was the tone of the sky, Love it. Then upon looking at the tower, it made me feel as though it would topple over backwards.. ( I know you are going to try a slight rotation based on other critique

Very nice Black and White, Very nice captured mood.. Great Photo.
    Rachel

What happens when you hit a Thousand? Should I watch for Balloons?

All kinds of contrasts help to make this shot so good. The normal light/dark as well as straight/curved, hard/soft keep the eye comparing things. I like how the clouds echo the wispy grasses.Good use of leading lines....don't you ever do anything wrong?

Gary, this is an excellent pic. I Love it. The black and white really brings out a spooky element, plus I love the way you framed it. It just appears isolated, desolate and so eerie. I would print it and frame it along with some of your others. I think this pic goes well with this Halloween time of year. Great job as usual.
    ~Nina~

Quote Originally Posted by Chunk
    ....don't you ever do anything wrong?
    lol! He forgot the "and" before the word "dodging...does that make you feel better?

Rachel

Fantastic shot of what looks to be a character filled location. I like the tufts of growth at different points of the path as well as the sky - all complementing the tower.

Great work, Gary.

Tuna

Quote Originally Posted by Clicker
    lol! He forgot the "and" before the word "dodging...does that make you feel better?

...and that's not really wrong, just a dialog kinda writing style.

Quote Originally Posted by Chunk
    ...and that's not really wrong, just a dialog kinda writing style.
    dern, you got a point....Then I guess he is perfection! lol
    Rachel

Rachel. . . . I like the sky too. It was so blue that day that I just knew it could be very dark with white clouds in the b&w conversion. btw, you seem to know that I am very receptive to suggestions and critique ( which is why I mostly use this forum as it has been very helpful to me) Oh, and having just recently hit 1,000 posts I can tell you that it was unbelievable. I don't want to spoil it for you but can't resist. As soon as I clicked up that 1,000 th post. . .balloons of all sizes and colors started falling from my ceiling, horns and trumpets were blaring, and then mtbrian burst through my door with his crew popping bubbly and cheering me on. whew! Awesome.. ..you'll see ;) Thanks for your time.
    Chunk. . . .As always, I really appreciate how you see things and your insight goes deep. Your contributions on this forum have helped me very much. btw, I am slowly but surely working up to having the 10,000 bad negatives under my belt maybe not as slowly as I would like.

Nina . . .Thanks for the positive comments. I am happy you see the pic the way you do as thats what I was trying to achieve.Yes, I guess this is an appropriate image for this time of year

Tuna. . .Your time to comment is much appreciated. A positive feed back from you carries alot of weight with me as I have admired lots of your work. Thank you

gary

Oh, and having just recently hit 1,000 posts I can tell you that it was unbelievable. I don't want to spoil it for you but can't resist. As soon as I clicked up that 1,000 th post. . .balloons of all sizes and colors started falling from my ceiling, horns and trumpets were blaring, and then mtbrian burst through my door with his crew popping bubbly and cheering me on. whew! Awesome.. ..you'll see ;)
    Ha Ha. I'm one step ahead of you( oh wait, I think its more like 522 posts behind you) oh well, 508 to go!

I've already called a friend of mine that does Contracting work, and we are setting up a pulley system and hatch doors above my computer armoire..Just in case -someone- wants to shove some balloons up there...lol I'll just be sitting underneath it, unsuspecting...
    Rachel

Thread Information