Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

church tower in b&w

This is the South Church in Boston, MA taken this morning in very overcast conditions. Comments?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails church tower in b&w-south_church_crp.jpg  

Stew...

Quote Originally Posted by stew
    This is the South Church in Boston, MA taken this morning in very overcast conditions. Comments?
    Im sure that some might think the sky is overexposed, but I really feel it works in this case. It adds to the eeriness of the shot as does that extreme perspective and the shadowy leaves in the foreground. I never would have guessed this was a church steeple, more like some kind of forboding fort or something. The black and white adds to the moodyness. and I like the black leaves on the stark white. Actually I really love this whole shot. How did you get this shot, if it was on top of a church? Telephoto lens? It's very cool stew.
    ~ Kit

Quote Originally Posted by shesells
    Im sure that some might think the sky is overexposed, but I really feel it works in this case. It adds to the eeriness of the shot as does that extreme perspective and the shadowy leaves in the foreground. I never would have guessed this was a church steeple, more like some kind of forboding fort or something. The black and white adds to the moodyness. and I like the black leaves on the stark white. Actually I really love this whole shot. How did you get this shot, if it was on top of a church? Telephoto lens? It's very cool stew.
    ~ Kit
    Kit,

Thanks for your positive comments! It seems that this image strikes you in a very similar way as it does for me, and I appreciate that.

I suppose I should add more description, to lend some perspective to this photo and also - I hope! - respond to some of your questions. Yesterday morning as solid overcast and a bit hazy; I specifically went out because the weather reflected my mood (dreary) and that is when I usually take photos because I'm particularly focused during that time for some reason. The sky is a bit overexposed but IMHO that works here. I am learning to use and appreciate overexposure when it's appropriate. B&W is almost always my choice as you could see from previous posts. Yes, I agree B&W works here to accentuate the bleakness. I stood very close to the base of this tower, and looked up. The branches from a tree were obscuring the view but I thought that with a large aperture and a focus on the building, that the tree limbs would add to the image rather than subtract, and also help define the mood.

My primary lens is a Canon 24-85mm (used for this shot). That is my workhorse, though I do own a 70-200L lens as well.

Thanks again!
    -Stew

There is an air of foreboding about this picture. I am scared, very scared... will a lightning bolt strike me down any second now?

Top notch image Stew.
    Sport in Essex in Pictures
    <a href="http://www.tgsphoto.co.uk"><strong>www.tgsphoto.co.uk</strong></a>

Quote Originally Posted by gmen
    There is an air of foreboding about this picture. I am scared, very scared... will a lightning bolt strike me down any second now?

Top notch image Stew.
    Thanks gmen!

Hey Stew,
    I like this as well, especially how you composed it. By not centering the tower straight up in the frame but rather standing off to the right side of the tower, you helped create this mood and ominous forboding setting as well as with the branches just visible and out of focus in the forefront. Well done
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Thread Information