Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Bridge of Sighs, Oxford, UK

Hi,
    As promised in an earlier post of mine, here's the first of two shots from "the seat of learning", Oxford, UK. This one is of the Bridge of Sighs, joining Hertford College and New College, just outside of Radcliffe Square. It was taken using a tripod, some beer and some rain for added reflections. Photoshop for the B&W conversion, cropping and other bits and bobs.

Comments welcome A reshoot would be possible in the future.

Cheers,
    Chris

Excuse me while I burn in the sky Clicker's Avatar

Re: Bridge of Sighs, Oxford, UK

Quote Originally Posted by Hindey
    Hi,
    As promised in an earlier post of mine, here's the first of two shots from "the seat of learning", Oxford, UK. This one is of the Bridge of Sighs, joining Hertford College and New College, just outside of Radcliffe Square. It was taken using a tripod, some beer and some rain for added reflections. Photoshop for the B&W conversion, cropping and other bits and bobs.

Cheers,
    Chris
    Very interesting building, reminds me of Spy movies and such.. Almost expect to see a guy in a Dick Tracy Hat,trench coat and cigar come around the corner...

I think this shot is definitely worth a reshoot, It is a bit dark ( and while i know its a night shot...) I still think you can get more detail.... I took it into PS and changed the perspective.. Making the windows on the left-hand side of the frame straight to your border. I also played with levels a bit ( took the white up) but it made it a little more grainy...

Again, Great spot, very photogenic and presents a great "aura"
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Rachel

What happens when you hit a Thousand? Should I watch for Balloons?

I'm inclined to agree with you about the brightness of the image, yet when I came to my originally sized B&W, I didn't think it was too dark?

http://blogs.warwick.ac.uk/images/ch.../17/bridge.jpg

Perhaps it's just the size of the image? Feel free to correct me

Thanks for your feedback,
    Chris

I tried upping the Shadow in Shadow/Highlight to 5%, and that seemed to be a little better, but with some graininess?

Chris

Excuse me while I burn in the sky Clicker's Avatar

I'm inclined to agree with you about the brightness of the image, yet when I came to my originally sized B&W, I didn't think it was too dark?

http://blogs.warwick.ac.uk/images/ch.../17/bridge.jpg

Perhaps it's just the size of the image? Feel free to correct me

Thanks for your feedback,
    Chris
    No, I agree with you, larger sized like that, i do see more detail... i need to calibrate my monitor (do'h) but my stuff was looking too ~Bright~, but when viewing yours it looked too dark ( and the original post still does).... So, i think it just may be the size that you lose the detail...
    Last edited by Clicker; 10-18-2004 at 07:53 PM.
    Rachel

What happens when you hit a Thousand? Should I watch for Balloons?

Obsessive-compulsive... Steph_B's Avatar

Hi,

Cheers,
    Chris
    This is definitely a nice subject. And I like the fact that you took it at night after the rain. Really cool.

But since you mention a possible reshoot....

... I was going to suggest maybe a higher viewpoint to block this annoying street lamp. I also like what Rachel did with the perspective control.

It's a tad dark too. A longer exposure could be cool. Maybe an exposure including car trails? I would definitely try a VERY long exposure at sunset to keep a little bit of shape in the sky...

So many ideas.... sorry I didn't mean to swamp you .

Cheers,

Steph.

Hi,
    Rachel, I'm definately starting to agree with you on the sky. It just blends in too much with the rest of the bridge... which brings me on to Steph's comments.

Unfortunately the cars, higher view point and longer exposure are all impossible. The street straight ahead is a dead end, and the street to the right is also a dead end. Behind the camera is a large fence, so that's also improbable. The longer exposure is also a no-go due to my otherwise excellent (for my purposes) Fuji S5000 only having a maximum exposure of 2 seconds.

Finally, as for the sunset idea (it'd have to be a sunrise, it's east facing...) it's a nice idea. I'll have to see how tired / hungover I'm feeling next time I'm there. Thanks all for your input, it's been very useful.

A friend has just had another thought, what about a lower camera angle to inclue all of the street lamp? A higher camera angle obscuring the street lamp would leave a very large area of unexplained light and reflections under the bridge? Thoughts?

Cheers,
    Chris

P.S. I'm going again on Friday. I'll take the camera and see what happens...

Thread Information