Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: lillies reshoot

lillies reshoot

I posted a little while back an image of a lilly in my backyard. The feeling that I got from that critique was that the image needed to be more dynamic with several suggestion on how to crop in an attempt to make it so, or at least to consider in future shots.

Last weekend I ventured out, still a little overcast here, to a paddock near home with a creek in which is growing many clumps of lillies. I tried to keep the natural feeling that I saw of the flowers while keeping in mind the discussion and critique given here.

Comments please..........

Lillies 1 - 2 - and 3.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails lillies reshoot-lilly-01.jpg   lillies reshoot-lilly-02.jpg   lillies reshoot-lilly-03.jpg  
    Last edited by mtbbrian; 10-10-2004 at 08:44 AM. Reason: Unsticking "Featured Photo" for 04 October 04 - First One!
    Focus on the positive!

Very pretty Irish.

I like number one best. Composition wise, the flow of the leaves and flowers going in the same direction with one distinct leave (bottom left) off setting it appeals to me.
    Lara

These are much better than the first ones posted....the first with a crop to the brown area at the top and the third...I especially like the third...nothing about it I would change...good saturated color...nice reshoot.
    "I was not trying to be shocking, or to be a pioneer.
    I wasn't trying to change society, or to be ahead of my time.
    I didn't think of myself as liberated, and I don't believe that I did anything important.
    I was just myself. I didn't know any other way to be, or any other way to live."
    Bettie Page

My Temp site...

Moderator of Critiques/Hearder of Cats mtbbrian's Avatar

Good Stuff!

These are good flower photographs.
    They have a lot of texture and are interesting.
    The compostion is good.
    There are many compostional elements here
    Tension, with the single, off center flower, against the green back ground.
    There is a lot of repetition going on too, with the leaves in the first one and the flowers in the second one.
    I like the repeating in the third one. I like how the second flower is smaller than the first.
    Brian
    My "Personal" Photography Website...
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...
    Nikon Samurai #2 - Emeritus
    See more of my photography here...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

"Photography Is An Act Of Life" - Maine 2006

Obsessive-compulsive... Steph_B's Avatar

Re: lillies reshoot

Quote Originally Posted by Irish
    I posted a little while back an image of a lilly in my backyard. The feeling that I got from that critique was that the image needed to be more dynamic with several suggestion on how to crop in an attempt to make it so, or at least to consider in future shots.

Last weekend I ventured out, still a little overcast here, to a paddock near home with a creek in which is growing many clumps of lillies. I tried to keep the natural feeling that I saw of the flowers while keeping in mind the discussion and critique given here.

Comments please..........

Lillies 1 - 2 - and 3.
    Wow...

The first pic is gorgeous. Very nice colors and the overcast sky helped maintaining details in the shadows. I am only regretting that DOF was a bit too short to get everything in focus (one of the top leaf is a bit soft)... But that's a detail.

Have you tried to sprinkle some water on the leaves and flower before taking the pic? I like the dew drops on the third pic. This would add some atmosphere to the first pic.

Definitely worth a printout!

Cheers,

Steph.

Lara, thanks for looking. I can't make up my mind between #1 or #3, different things in each.

Quote Originally Posted by natatbeach
    These are much better than the first ones posted....the first with a crop to the brown area at the top and the third...I especially like the third...nothing about it I would change...good saturated color...nice reshoot.
    Thanks Natalie, I think your suggestion helps the image - puts the flower more inline with the rule of thirds??

Lilly - cropped....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails lillies reshoot-lilly-01-crop-.jpg  
    Focus on the positive!

Re: Good Stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by mtbbrian
    There are many compostional elements here
    Tension, with the single, off center flower, against the green back ground.
    There is a lot of repetition going on too, with the leaves in the first one and the flowers in the second one.
    I like the repeating in the third one. I like how the second flower is smaller than the first.
    Brian
    Thanks for the critique Brian. I always like others ability to be analitical (something I'm trying hard to learn myself) when critiquing the elements of my images.
    Focus on the positive!

Quote Originally Posted by Steph_B
    Wow...

The first pic is gorgeous. Very nice colors and the overcast sky helped maintaining details in the shadows. I am only regretting that DOF was a bit too short to get everything in focus (one of the top leaf is a bit soft)... But that's a detail.

B#@%^ DOF I have a digital workshop coming up at the local camera club. DOF and controlling it is something I will definately be wanting to work on during this workshop. Wish I could say thats the way I ment the shot to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Steph_B
    Have you tried to sprinkle some water on the leaves and flower before taking the pic? I like the dew drops on the third pic. This would add some atmosphere to the first pic.

Definitely worth a printout!
    I have tried the water on the leaf before and always afraid of making the image look a little contrived - tried to take these as I saw them. And yes I will be trying out my new i9950 Canon printer this weekend. I would love to get an image that I am pleased with to print A3
    Focus on the positive!

Excuse me while I burn in the sky Clicker's Avatar

Irish - I love, Love the first shot, It looks like a painting to me, and I like Images that blur the line like that ( Much like tuna's Hula Hoop photo, that Nat said looked like "pen & ink" ) Same for yours, Gorgeous Photo.... Just Gorgeous.

The second photo - It has Too Many flowers in it Lol! But then you spoiled me with the first ! the compostion seems cramped, almost like the right side is one photo and the left is another...

Third photo, this is my second favorite, but what ruins it for me is the tip of the smaller lily, it seems " withered" but I don't see lily's often, is it withered? Anyway, It ruins the crisp - clean - and -fresh feeling that the flowers represent to me...

Thanks for posting these!
    Rachel

What happens when you hit a Thousand? Should I watch for Balloons?

Quote Originally Posted by Clicker
    ......but what ruins it for me is the tip of the smaller lily, it seems " withered" but I don't see lily's often, is it withered? Anyway, It ruins the crisp - clean - and -fresh feeling that the flowers represent to me..

Thanks for your positive critique Clicker. I too am leaning towards #1, especially after Natalie's suggested crop.

The tip of the smaller lilly is not wilted or withered but has a small drop of water right on the tip (not as obvious as it may seem to me). I was going to call this image "cascade" but one drop is a little short of a cascade.
    Focus on the positive!

lol! Cascade! Save that for your photo of dishwashing stuff!

I **see** the drop now!
    I'm sorry, it wasn't apparent to me at all.. But now I understand why someone posted in this thread about drops!
    Rachel

Irish, I did like your previous lilly post but this group is a major improvement.I'm with everyone else in that the first one is just beautiful with the soft unglaring colors and the edges of the leaves standing out a bit. While I do think Nats crop is good, I miss something in it that the first one had. An immediate sense of a huge bed of lush green surrounding that delicate flower. but the thing I miss the most is the trio of points that the flower and the 2 leaves below and above make. It makes a powerful design. I cropped that trio below to show what I mean.
    I don't intend that to be the crop of the shot (even though this photo has many that would be good), but just to show you what you would lose with cropping the top.
    The second one is so-so with a little too much going on, plus kind of messy. The third, I do like the out of focus grass and the lighting in the front that shows the drops but I think it would look better with only the large flower. If I was offered my pic of these, it would be the first one, just as it is, hands down.
    Kit
    Last edited by shesells; 09-22-2007 at 06:56 PM.

The first one is incredible, what a great shot!

Thanks for your indepth critique Kit - always a dilema - when is enough, enough? I do see what you mean about the movement of the top leaf. What to crop and what to leaf????? (my little joke) I guess that is what makes it a challenge..

Lanks for looking Elysian, supportive comments always appreciated.

Andy S
    Focus on the positive!

Quote Originally Posted by Irish
    Thanks for your indepth critique Kit - always a dilema - when is enough, enough? I do see what you mean about the movement of the top leaf. What to crop and what to leaf????? (my little joke) I guess that is what makes it a challenge..

Lanks for looking Elysian, supportive comments always appreciated.

Andy S

I agree about having all the leaves around it.. My opinion:

LEAF it alone, and CLONE!

(clone out the brown parts with green )
    Rachel

Irish-

I really love the first picture you have, both the crop and the original are great. I have always loved lillies and wanted a picture that would do them justice. You have done much better than I. The picture looks surreal, sort of like the leaves around it were painted with the perfect detail to complement the flower. Well done.

Noslocg

Thread Information