Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Reshoot. . .Two Stone Posts B&W

Sorry, I am just obsessed with these stone posts and keep shooting at them at different times of day at different angles and so on. I like this B&W version of this latest shoot that was taken in the morning as sun was up just over the trees. Would like your feedback
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Reshoot. . .Two Stone Posts  B&W-lndscp0504-1105xbwweb.jpg  
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Hi Gary,
    I like this shoot. The tonal distribution is wide and the low-angle of view works very well.
    All the best.
    yoyo

It's hurricane season... again...
    Gary this is MUCH better... the angle is great, and I love the way the clouds arc at the top. Good work!
    Kristin
    Canon Bird Nerd #2

Thanks Yoyo Szeto and Kristin for your time

gary

I had to run a search on the forum as i missed the previous shots, but I think you really nailed it here. Good work.

This nature preserve is apparently full of excellent photos waiting to be captured by you.

We just can't have nice things... darkrainfall's Avatar
    Gary,

I like this, however, I'm bothered by the brush and plants on the right side. I am really drawn into the picture because those two stone pillars really direct my attention right down the path/road... and I feel like I could follow the road, but then there are those bushes, on the right, distracting me.
    Otherwise I think this is an improvement from the last time you took pics of these posts.

My God... it's full of stars....

Sorry, couldn't resist. You Stanley Kubrik fans will understand.

I really like the shots you have taken of these earth-bound "monoliths" quite a lot. The texture and contrast are excellent and the composition is well-balanced. Even the sky is well-framed by the arcing presence of the clouds. B&W is also definitely the right choice here.

PS - I sense a triptych in your immediate future....
    Last edited by PuckJunkey; 05-06-2004 at 02:42 PM.
    D200 = Digital F100
    I have achieved nirvana.

You know, I think this angle is just about right for a HAL's eye view....

Dave.... step away from the camera, Dave. I don't understand this hostile attitude; have I done something to upset you, Dave?

D200 = Digital F100
    I have achieved nirvana.

lol Puckjunkey, good to see you back. I think you were away for a few days, if I'm not mistaken.
    You know, you have me hearing the music of the monolith from that movie every time I look at this pic. (great movie , by the way, of course as are all of his work) Glad you like this shot as do I and I will include it in a tribute I am working on for this Nature Preserve.
    Greg hxc and Darkrainfall, thanks for your time to comment, much appreciated.

gary

Thank you, sir. I was indeed absent for about a week, due to some solid workloads at the commercial studio I work for (which of course is never a bad thing). Anyway, it is good to be back from the land of boom-stands, soft-boxes and hernia-inducing sandbags... I try not to miss too many days in a row because I know I'll miss all sorts of great shots if I do.

Anyway, I'm curious: what form of tribute are you planning? Book? Linear DVD? We're building an interactive portfolio for our studio and I'm trying to absorb as many new ideas as I can. Currently planning a DVD with an audio track or two, etc.
    D200 = Digital F100
    I have achieved nirvana.

I like this better than your previous ones. I like the clouds on the top part of the frame.

This Nature reserve here has been open for a few years now and they hve done a nice job with it. ( Beautiful park house, graveled walkways,footbridge, benches, info boards identifying various species of wildlife found in the area, and so on) I have been shooting various shots from here ( as you know)and am trying to get a series from all 4 seasons. i was thinking of putting together all the best prints and either present it as an exhibit in the parkhouse as a tribute to this Reserve( upon their approval) or offer it as a donation for them to present or do with as they please. Just not sure how to go about offering up this idea or how to go about presenting it.

gary

Thread Information