Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.
    Seb

Hudson river, NYC

This was shot in NYC in late march. I keep going back at it yet I feel that this is somewhat empty. Any thought?

Seb
    Last edited by Seb; 04-08-2010 at 10:47 PM.

Re: Hudson river, NYC

Seb - my feeling with this is that the foreground promises so much but when you get to the background it just looks too ordinary and drags you back to earth. There's something quite eerie about those posts, like an army of lost souls (stay with me here) and personally I would like a shot that emphasises that feeling (which may be completely different to what you see in them).

I'm sure there are some great photos here, but without knowing the location it is hard to suggest anything except keep looking for that combination of lighting and composition that will bring the thing together.

Good luck, and have fun with it

matt

Seb,

I think i'd crop a large majority off the top. Maybe right till the big skyscraper. It add's an interesting affect, and gets rid of that, what I think, boring sky. Interesting patterns though with those in the water,

Nice shots,

Jared

Seb

Quote Originally Posted by Seb
    This was shot in NYC in late march. I keep going back at it yet I feel that this is somewhat empty. Any thought?

Seb
    Thanks for the imput guys,

Mattp: Don't worry, you do not loose me with your thought. I didn't conciously thought about the posts like some sort of army but they are the motivation behind the picture. I didn't gave a damn about the background when I shot this, I was blinded by the posts.

Jar_e: I think that you fixed it! Actually, I decided to go with something slightly more radical than your idea and totally got rid of the land to achieve a perfect square crop. Actually, this is what i saw prior to shoot the scene.

regards

Seb
    Last edited by Seb; 04-08-2010 at 10:47 PM.

Seb, i thought the original was a great shot then with the cropped version this is fit for a frame and place on my wall...great work.

todd

Liz

Yep! IMO that does it. I like this image a lot. I wasn't sure about the first one, as it felt kind of "empty" but this I would frame.

Liz

Thanks for the imput guys,

Mattp: Don't worry, you do not loose me with your thought. I didn't conciously thought about the posts like some sort of army but they are the motivation behind the picture. I didn't gave a damn about the background when I shot this, I was blinded by the posts.

Jar_e: I think that you fixed it! Actually, I decided to go with something slightly more radical than your idea and totally got rid of the land to achieve a perfect square crop. Actually, this is what i saw prior to shoot the scene.

regards

Seb

regards

Seb
    Seb,

Looks great. This tight crop entices thought and a mysterious feel. Looks great and almost abstract!

Glad you liked my advice,

Jared

Seb. . .good subject. Something I think i took for granted mostly as I saw these for several years as this scene was next to where I worked. I'll be the odd man out and say that i feel the original shot is more to my liking, just try a conversion to b&w to help achieve the eerie mood that is underlying. And in doing so you could increase the drama in thew sky as there is something there to work with.
    Good eye for a catch
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

"Artisaliethatmakesusreali zetruth" PlantedTao's Avatar

Sweeet!
    The cropped picture is really to my liking. I love the composition now and the subject gives the photo a nice abstract feel to it. Great tones and I love the reflections.
    Print it, frame it and hang it.

Cheers.

Seb

Thanks guy for the imput and double thanks to Jar_e for the artistic direction.

One picture saved!

Seb

Thanks guy for the imput and double thanks to Jar_e for the artistic direction.

One picture saved!

Seb
    Ah, don't thank me buddy! You took the picture!

Seb
    Seb, it's taken me a lil' while to form an opinion on this image, but at last i have come to the conclusio that it is a real winner. I love the foreground and the river, yet the overall look of B&W is ruined by the slight color in the far background. I would convert this to complete the image. Nice!
    John Cowan
    Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

Seb, I love the cropped version, but also think a true B & W would just bring it home. It's gorgeous and provocative and would make a beautiful print. A huge print! The second version is very moving while the first is just a nice scene. Glad you dug it back out.

Kit
    There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Moderator of Critiques/Hearder of Cats mtbbrian's Avatar

I definately agree with Matt, but I'd also say that the lighting is a little bland to make this photo interesting.
    If you can, go back and photograph this scene when the lighting is better, so that the textures in the wood is defined. Or maybe show some shadow from the poles.
    I am thinking at that "golden hour".
    The repetition from the poles is interesting, but that is about it.
    Good Luck!
    Brian
    My "Personal" Photography Website...
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...
    Nikon Samurai #2 - Emeritus
    See more of my photography here...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

"Photography Is An Act Of Life" - Maine 2006

seb i realy like this picture, well especially the cropped one, the way the shadows of the pilings stick out, if u desaturate the whole picture it would look way awsomer, but its realy cool looking,
    i took one similar in the bay, talk to u later seb
    ~Something is nothing~
    ~Nothing is somthing~

Seb

Quote Originally Posted by Young Shooter
    seb i realy like this picture, well especially the cropped one, the way the shadows of the pilings stick out, if u desaturate the whole picture it would look way awsomer, but its realy cool looking,
    i took one similar in the bay, talk to u later seb
    Thanks Almo, Kit, Brian and Young Shooter for your comments. I appreicate it.

Brian: I won't go back there anytime soon (it's isn't exactly next door...) but I agree that the scene would probably be quite interesting under early morning sunshine.

Seb

Thread Information