Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Hanging around till Spring

Took a little walk after work yesterday and noticed a neighbors front yard swing left alone and forgotten untill warmer weather. Very strong back light coming over the roof of the house. I tried to crop to avoid lense flare. How about the image?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hanging around till Spring-waiting-summer.jpg  

A little too busy I think, but play with the angle and crop down in the finder a bit. I think you're close to having an interesting shot.
    D200 = Digital F100
    I have achieved nirvana.

close-up?

agree that it's a little too busy... can you go back and get a close-up? that might make for a shot with a "lonely, waiting for a child to play on me" kind of feel...

-Stew

Thanks guys

Quote Originally Posted by stew
    agree that it's a little too busy... can you go back and get a close-up? that might make for a shot with a "lonely, waiting for a child to play on me" kind of feel...

-Stew
    A agree with you on the busy part. I tried to crop down some more on the image but lost the main idea of the swing when I did so. The scene is close by and I may try it again with morning light rather than after noon. I shot from various anges but other were even busier. I appreciate your comments and advice.

Don't crop

I agree with you - you can't crop this without losing the branch the swing is attached to, or the ground. Both would be a mistake, imho. I like how the tree trunk and branch are used to frame your composition. I think you're right about trying with different light. Somehow you need more light on your subject, the swing. Fill flash? Also, perhaps blur your background more to help emphasize the swing.

Spike

Quote Originally Posted by Old Timer
    A agree with you on the busy part. I tried to crop down some more on the image but lost the main idea of the swing when I did so. The scene is close by and I may try it again with morning light rather than after noon. I shot from various anges but other were even busier. I appreciate your comments and advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Timer
    Since you are going back, I'd suggest a shot with a shallower depth of field to try and make that busy background less intrusive and get a little seperation. I don't think you'd want the background blurred out- just softened a little.

Thread Information