Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: walking away

walking away

Something about this caught my eye and of course trying to shoot BW with digital-- a point and shoot at that---well...ended up having convert to grayscale and play around with the channel levels (saw it in Viewfinder--cool) and well here you go...keep it? work on it? throw it away?

I know it's a boring snow shot but please humor me

something about it I like...not sure what...be as opinionated as you want.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "I was not trying to be shocking, or to be a pioneer.
    I wasn't trying to change society, or to be ahead of my time.
    I didn't think of myself as liberated, and I don't believe that I did anything important.
    I was just myself. I didn't know any other way to be, or any other way to live."
    Bettie Page

My Temp site...

Hmmmm

Well...something about it isn't working for me. I think your snow is too grey, for one. I'm not sure about your perspective either - kind of has an arial feel. Maybe if you'd shot from a lower angle, I don't know. Maybe the shadows in the foreground are what is bugging me - too much going on besides the footprints.

Spike

Quote Originally Posted by natatbeach
    Something about this caught my eye and of course trying to shoot BW with digital-- a point and shoot at that---well...ended up having convert to grayscale and play around with the channel levels (saw it in Viewfinder--cool) and well here you go...keep it? work on it? throw it away?

I know it's a boring snow shot but please humor me

something about it I like...not sure what...be as opinionated as you want.

Thnak you for that most "loving" and tactful way of saying---it sucks LOL (just kidding)

I think you right on all counts...funny snow looked white to me and now that I read your post it does look a lot more gray than I remeber-lol

Thnaks for confirming my worst fears
    "I was not trying to be shocking, or to be a pioneer.
    I wasn't trying to change society, or to be ahead of my time.
    I didn't think of myself as liberated, and I don't believe that I did anything important.
    I was just myself. I didn't know any other way to be, or any other way to live."
    Bettie Page

My Temp site...

I didn't comment on this shot the first time I looked at it, because I wasn't sure how I felt about it. My initial reaction was that I really liked the mood / feeling it conveyed... but I wanted to come back and look again later.

I think the image is far from "residing in suckdom", but something about it nags me (a little). I think maybe it's just a case of the bushes being a bit too twiggy and/or one too many branchings on the tree shadow. However both are needed generally to balance the composition.

I would try to clone out the part of the shadow that branches towards the center of the photo and remove a few twigs/stems from the right-most bush. Also, the shadows the bushes cast are a distraction. Only a trained eye would notice they weren't there, were you to remove them. Especially in a BW composition.

I dunno. I think if you made it just a bit less busy, it would be "just right".

;)
    D200 = Digital F100
    I have achieved nirvana.

I've come back

This is another photo that I've come back to a few times. I was having some problem with it but wasn't sure how to respond. After reading Spike's review I realized she had said just about what I was thinking about the image. She put is very well, but by no means does it suck. Look at it as another photographic lesson learned. Your images have been most welcome here keep up the quality post.

No, no. Not that bad!

If I think a photo sucks, I won't hem and haw about it. You're reading my critique too negatively. It's not a great shot, but it doesn't suck either.

Quote Originally Posted by natatbeach
    Thnak you for that most "loving" and tactful way of saying---it sucks LOL (just kidding)

I think you right on all counts...funny snow looked white to me and now that I read your post it does look a lot more gray than I remeber-lol

Thnaks for confirming my worst fears

Thread Information