Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

A first attempt at Motorsport...

Well... I decided to try something a bit different today. I'm usually found shooting cricket and football, so a day out at Arena Essex was a chance to turn the lens on something a bit different.

I wasn't sure what to expect when shooting these pretty fast moving vehicles, but I tried out a bit of this and a bit of that and came up with a few pictures. Here a four of them.

Let me know what you think - which are 'keepers' etc... I know there are more experienced motorsport photogs out there and any tips or pointers would be appreciated.

And, boy, that panning thing is hard work!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A first attempt at Motorsport...-arena_essex_1.jpg   A first attempt at Motorsport...-arena_essex_2.jpg   A first attempt at Motorsport...-arena_essex_3.jpg   A first attempt at Motorsport...-arena_essex_4.jpg  
    Sport in Essex in Pictures
    <a href="http://www.tgsphoto.co.uk"><strong>www.tgsphoto.co.uk</strong></a>

It seems as though you have enjoyed the day.I think that you managed to capture the speed of the action and the colourfullness of the occasion.I would definitly keep them all.
    Piet

I like the last one very much. It's a very unique perspective, with interesting DOF, and it works. I think it's really cool.
    Drink Coffee. Do stupid things faster with more energy.

Thanks Kelly and Piet

It was a fascinating day... I really enjoyed myself. Since it was my first attempt, I simply concentrated on tight cropping and nailing the focus. I'm looking forward to going again to gain some more experience...

I've posted some other images from the day on my website here: http://www.tgsphoto.co.uk/ae080804/

If anyone else has any guidance they can offer with regard to capturing this sort of action, I'd love to hear it!

Doesn't matter.....

Doesn't matter what the sport is you have a real talent for catching the action. These photos are very nice, full of action and as usual your framing and colors are right on. Well Done.

A Colour frenzy!

Thanks Old Timer and prbowhay... The colours were very dramatic mainly because the lighting was excellent - bright sunshine tempered by a little bit of hazy, high cloud! Here are a couple more to illustrate the range of colours on show.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A first attempt at Motorsport...-arena_essex_11.jpg   A first attempt at Motorsport...-arena_essex_10.jpg  
    Last edited by gmen; 08-10-2004 at 12:21 AM. Reason: Quote didn't show up correctly

Thread Information