Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Suggestions (2nd Attempt)

I'm working on some product shots and could use some/any help and/or suggestions for improvement. I tried this once before but I think the file size was to large. This (if it shows up) is a scanned shot of some of my early attemps. Again, I'd be greatfull for any suggestions or help. Thanks
    Russ
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Suggestions (2nd Attempt)-glassfork2b.jpg  

We just can't have nice things... darkrainfall's Avatar
    This is alright... I'm led to believe that the fork is the product being displayed in this circumstance... am I correct in this assumption? I like the dramatic lighting... it's not even throughout the picture and I like that... What I don't like is how centered the fork is.
    It is an interesting shot though and I like the overall effect. I hate to suggest that you try it again, however if you do, maybe tilt the fork a bit... or try a slightly different angle.

thougths...

Hi,

I really like the water droplets and the leaves as seen through the glass but my eyes keep being drawn to the reflection on the fork. I think it is a very well composed picture, but when I am looking at the glass, water drops I become distracted by the fork reflection. I agree the fork should be at a different angle as previously stated. These are just my .02 cents.

That being said this is a nice photo, and I enjoy looking at it.

Greg

ok, here are my 2 cents, I don't care for it, I like the idea, but, as mentioned, the fork is too centered, and the background is way overpowering being so hot. Just my 2 cents.
    Dive naked things look bigger underwater!!!!!

i love the background. especially if you were to print this as an ad on a white page. you could photoshop it so that the white background at the top melts into the page rather than having a 4-sided confinement to it.

the glare on the fork is by biggest gripe. i keep trying to figure out what the image is that's being reflected!
    http://www.dmbforums.com

Russ, I think on the technical side this is a very well exposed and well-processed shot. There is a wide range of tonality from inky blacks to subtle whites, the subject matter is razor sharp, and the addition of the water droplets on the black surface was a really cool touch.

I think the only thing that suffers a little bit is the composition. I think there's just a bit too much empty space because of the way the glass is centered, even though it's a very simple and elegant design. I think a crop to one side or the other might help. Also, the frame is tilted enough to be distracting IMO. So, I cropped in and perspective corrected it to the point where it's almost perfectly straight, but not quite. Here's one example (hope you don't mind).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Suggestions (2nd Attempt)-glassfork2b.jpg  
    Last edited by PuckJunkey; 06-18-2004 at 08:05 AM. Reason: clarifications
    D200 = Digital F100
    I have achieved nirvana.

Many Thanks

Many thanks for all the useful and helpfull suggestions and comments.
    Russ

learning
    Hi,
    That really is an amazimg shot. I really like the way it looks. I think you could however remove the rose; the simplicity that this could add wwould help the shot in my opinion. Just my 2 cents (which arnt worth very much... the exchange is horrible)

Re: Suggestions (2nd Attempt)

I personally really like this picture. Very creative with the background. I don't know how you could reposition the fork and keep the detail of the fork if that's what you're after.

Love the b and w and creativity. It is most likely the angle of the fork, but I can't help but feel the wine class does not set straight on its stem- leaning right.

GB1

Russ - I like the water droplets and nice contrast. I also like the clearness of the image (well executed). A amount of fade in the back is good too. As for what I don't think is working, I don't see the connection between the fork and the glass at all; to me it actually looks like a knife cutting through a steak on first (and second) glance. Not sure what to suggest on this. The image is definitely tilted to the clockwise about 2 very noticeable degrees. Finally, it is just too tight a composition, w/ the foliage being cut off and the fork's teeth almost touching the bottom (and the handle leaving the frame at the top). Try backing out and leaving more room around the subject(s).

Hope this isn't too harsh, but I think the small things make or break a shot like this. Good luck on the final adjustment.
    G
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

I agree with Greg on this one. I will also add that, although the water drops look very sharp and add to the shot, I feel they look a little messy. I think if they were a tad more uniform, they would help the shot as well.

Thread Information