Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

First Attempt at BW conversion

I liked the way the light was falling on the grass but knew there was nothing color wise that would lend itself to the image. I took it anyways in hopes of a good conversion. Any thoughts / comments welcome.

Regards,

Phil
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Opinionated Newbie
    Nice composition. I like it in B&W. I would add a bit of contrast to bring out the highlights, accent the bark and darken the darks.

First, it's a nicely seen photo. Personally, I would crop on the top just below the horizontal branch and any views of the sky.

The conversion looks pretty good. How did you convert? The best method I have found is using the "channel mixing" method. Gives better tonal control than greyscale conversion.

Also, I would recommend a further contrast/levels adjustment to add punch. Shoot for a large tonal range with some definitive, rich blacks and clean whites.

Overall, nice job.

Tuna

First Attempt at BW conversion
    Actually it's not true B&W if you look carefully.

Not a bad shot Pez31, thanks for sharing. ;)

Thanks for the replies and the suggestions.

Tuna I converted this in PS CS while importing my raw file. I took out all saturation and then adjusted the red green and blue channels. In CS when converting from a raw file, you can adjust each RGB channel for hue and saturation. I'm not sure if this is what you were referring to but that is what I did. If there is a better way I would like to know. Thanks for the cropping suggestion. Here is a second attempt with crop and more contrast.

Elysian I'm not sure I understand your comment. Are you referring to the fact that it didn't start out that way or are you seeing a hue cast on your monitor? Let me know.

Regards

Phil
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails First Attempt at BW conversion-genesis-tree-grass2.jpg  

Pez

I think it looks like it was shot in black and white. You did a good job in PS. and.. you got the framing/matting excellent in this one. not only that but it's a good shot.
    Kit

Quote Originally Posted by pez31
    Elysian I'm not sure I understand your comment. Are you referring to the fact that it didn't start out that way or are you seeing a hue cast on your monitor? Let me know.
    Take a true B&W image in photoshop and you shouldn't see any difference in RGB values. Move your eyedropper tool over any spot and the values for red, green and blue should always be the same. The two histograms should make that clear; you'll notice that the histograms in the B&W converted shot are exactly the same.

I noticed when I looked at your original shot (already before I took it into Photoshop) that it had a slight sepia tone.
    To make it more visible I've taken your shot and saturated with a value of +100 and I did the same with the B&W converted image.

There's nothing wrong with sepia of course, but my guess was that you intended for it to be B&W, after all that's what you wrote in the subscription of your thread.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails First Attempt at BW conversion-conv.gif  
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by pez31
    Tuna I converted this in PS CS while importing my raw file. I took out all saturation and then adjusted the red green and blue channels. In CS when converting from a raw file, you can adjust each RGB channel for hue and saturation. I'm not sure if this is what you were referring to but that is what I did. If there is a better way I would like to know.Phil
    It looks very nice, Phil.

As for "channel mixing", it's how I convert all my color digital files (instead of greyscale, desaturation or Lab Color methods). To do it, the image should begin in RGB mode, then you simply go to Image/Adjust/Channel Mixer. Set Red to 60, Green to 40 and leave Blue at 0 to begin with. Check the "Monochrome" box. This will give you a starting point but you can make changes to all the values to see different results. Make sure the total is always 100. Example: R 80, G 60, B (-40). This method will remove any chance of a color tone remaining, which is what may be showing up on some monitors. Afterwards, do standard levels/curves/sharpening/etc.

Tuna

Quote Originally Posted by shesells
    I think it looks like it was shot in black and white. You did a good job in PS. and.. you got the framing/matting excellent in this one. not only that but it's a good shot.
    Kit
    Thanks Kit,

Thanks for the kind words. My intent from the beginning was black and white, hopefully that aided to looking like it was shot in black and white. I do like the frame on this one, (for now).

Regards

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by Elysian
    Take a true B&W image in photoshop and you shouldn't see any difference in RGB values. Move your eyedropper tool over any spot and the values for red, green and blue should always be the same. The two histograms should make that clear; you'll notice that the histograms in the B&W converted shot are exactly the same.

I noticed when I looked at your original shot (already before I took it into Photoshop) that it had a slight sepia tone.
    To make it more visible I've taken your shot and saturated with a value of +100 and I did the same with the B&W converted image.

There's nothing wrong with sepia of course, but my guess was that you intended for it to be B&W, after all that's what you wrote in the subscription of your thread.
    Elysian

Thank you for clarifying what you meant, that was helpful information. I still fumble around with PS (should take a class) and only know enough to be dangerous. I learned something new.

Regards

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by Tuna
    It looks very nice, Phil.

As for "channel mixing", it's how I convert all my color digital files (instead of greyscale, desaturation or Lab Color methods). To do it, the image should begin in RGB mode, then you simply go to Image/Adjust/Channel Mixer. Set Red to 60, Green to 40 and leave Blue at 0 to begin with. Check the "Monochrome" box. This will give you a starting point but you can make changes to all the values to see different results. Make sure the total is always 100. Example: R 80, G 60, B (-40). This method will remove any chance of a color tone remaining, which is what may be showing up on some monitors. Afterwards, do standard levels/curves/sharpening/etc.

Tuna
    Tuna

Thanks for the tip on converting to BW. I am posting my second try at my first attempt. Still need to play with the technique.

Regards

Phil
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails First Attempt at BW conversion-genesis-tree-grass3.jpg  

Last attempt is very good. You have gotten rid of that colorcast sepia tone that Elysian was pointing out, and which was visible on my screen as well. Nice overall shot .
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Thread Information