Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: Beachy path

GB1

Beachy path

Ocean City, Maryland using Kodachrome 64.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Beachy path-beachwalk1_600.jpg  

Re: Beachy path

I like this scene. It is a tranquil, quiet moody image and exposure is very good. The lighting and shadows are working well. I think the comp amd framing works. I think it is good that you have composed this scene so that the nearest fences are breaking the horizon, i always feel that keeps an image from appearing flat and helps perspective. I'm not sure about the post behind the fence standing out. I think I might clone it out for a clean scene. I think the scene could ulitmately benefit from a little something more in there, say a few birds or some people in the far distance. But the mood and quiet feel work here and keep it a good image.
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

I like the leading lines in this picture but I think it needs more contrast and selective brightness. Also, I find the vignetting on the right distracting.

I like the shot, I have shot this type of scene a few times over the years and is very tricky to get it right, you did it!

GB1

Thanks for the comments. Gary I didn't even think of cloning out the sign - maybe that would make it better? (Worth a try.) Erich6, yeah, I think that it could use a little more contrast too, at least in the sky and right side fence areas. The left side fence is already dark enough. Maybe a mask will do the trick here.

CB - thanks for the compliment. I have shot literally about 400 to 500 shots of beachs and beach fences, and of that I have about 5-6 that I feel are successes. Hard to get it right, but I find that wintertime is ideal nto shoot these scenes - less people, lower sun, etc. Just don't get frostbit!

GB

This is a great shot. I've tried some similar stuff but have not had this result. I'm glad you included the sun in this, rather then cropping it out. It adds to the backlit left side of the fence with the detail on the right. Also, the lines of the fence lead the eye down to the beach, which works out perfectly here.

Nice work!

-Chris

Thread Information