Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

reducing file size ?

i want to send 6 test photo files to ritz camera by means of uploading on line to "my album" on their website. i will be requesting they make a print size of 4x6. i have never done this before and wonder if someone could give me "step by step" instructions [plus any thing else i might want to know] as "how" to do this? these photo files have been manipulated in ps 6.0 [adobeRGB 1998 color space was used] and saved as jpeg 12. i now have changed these 6 test prints to sRGB as this is what ritz uses in developing in their fuji frontier photo system. i have "image sized" these to 4x6 @ 300 pdi with a resulting file size of 6.0 mb. i have a "dial up" connection and they suggested my uploading these as 1024x768 images @ 300dpi.
    question-
    1- [plus the above] give me "step by step' instructions how to reduce the current 6.0mb file size to 1024x768 @ 300dpi as they requested?
    thank you and merry xmas-

tramp

Re: reducing file size ?

That is different.

If you change it it is going to give you an image size of 3.413 inch x 2.56 inch photo. What about putting them on CD and taking them in to get printed.

You could probably get away with a little less resolution (like 240dpi) but it still would be painfully slow on dial-up. A lot of places have self-service kiosks - burning a CD and taking it to the store would probably be quicker...

thanks, peter. i would but, their's two drawbacks, the first is the nearest ritz store to me is 120 miles away. secondly, ritz [over the phone] said, they do not accept cd-r's at their atlanta, ga. printing headquarters unless they get permission. it apparently is all uploads that they take in their. surely, since they recieve uploads from wallet size to 8x10's and send those back to their customers , there must be a way?
    can you,or anyone else tell me how one does these photo file uploads [step by step] to get a satisfactory print [thru my "dial up" location]? isn't their a way to print a 4x6 at 300dpi and still reduce the file size "only" to accommodate a print one would like?
    please advise [someone] -
    thank you.

tramp

Quote Originally Posted by tramp
    isn't their a way to print a 4x6 at 300dpi and still reduce the file size "only" to accommodate a print one would like?
    Not sure exactly what you mean by this. As far as file size goes, I'm surprised that a 4x6 at 300 is a 6mb file. I don't have any with me to look at, but just to clarify - you are sending them a jpeg, right?

Once you make the file that you want to send to them, then it's usually step-by-step from there. I haven't used their service so I can't comment on it. The place I usually go to for small prints has a Fuji Frontier - and it's a grocery store! They maintain the machine and that's all I need. As long as you upload the files on a kiosk, it will print exactly the file it gets unlike printing color neg film. Check out local discount and grocery stores, you'll probably find something.

these 6 "test" photo files i want to send to ritz camera were initially jpeg 12 [10mb] after image sizing to 4x6 @ 300dpi they are 6mb. my local walgreens has a the fuji fontier photo system . their 4x6 prints seemed to be satisfactory last spring [pleasing skin tones, outstanding pictures, etc.] but, since then, even the same prints developed "recently" are not as pleasing as the ones i took to them last spring. they say they "reset" their machine the first of each day. i read on line recently that the software in them was changed last june. i've got a large number of photo files i want 4x6 prints made from and i want to find a place that has "true" skin tones [plus excellent photo quality]. i sent some to shutterfly, the prints were excellent but, the skin tones were red [so much so they were unacceptable]. . i'm just trying to find a developer that will give me
    "true" skin tones [ along with an excellent photo] so my large order will come back "satisfactory".
    thank you-

tramp

Thread Information