Photography Studio and Lighting Forum

Hosted by fabulous Florida-based professional fashion photographer, Asylum Steve, this forum is for discussing studio photography and anything related to lighting.

10D, Chromakey and size.

I've heard that some of you are using the canon 10D and I'm seriously thinking of getting it, my question is:
    Does anyone have experience on doing Chromakey lightning?
    What's the best way to light the blue BG I got?
    The last question is about size:
    What is the largest print I can get with the Canon 10D?
    I, once was asked to get a 16X20 print, is this size possible with this camera?
    Thank you guys.
    The new loook is great.

Lighting the background is tricky in its simplicity. You need very even lighting, but you can't have spill onto the foreground. That's pretty much all the advice you'll get, every situation is different.

Why are you chromakeying in the first place? For still images it seems almost overkill, PS will give you great control over removing backgrounds without the need for any special colors or lighting since you do it yourself.

As for the print size, that depends on viewing distance. 16x20 should be fine, but make sure you know what the final result will be used for, that's the only way to tell.
    -Seb

My website

(Please don't edit and repost my images without my permission. Thank you)

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

Like Seb, just a bit confused...

Quote Originally Posted by Scourh
    Does anyone have experience on doing Chromakey lightning?
    What's the best way to light the blue BG I got?
    I don't know much at all about Chromakey, other than it's used when you want to install an artificial bg in either real time video or post production video or motion picture film.

I've never heard of the process being used in still photography, at least not TRUE Chromakey technology.

Perhaps you could clarify what effect it is you're trying to achieve. If it's simply to "extract" your subject to change the bg or bg color, then Seb's correct in that you don't need any elaborate "blue screen" setup. An evenly lit white seemless would work as well as anything.

As for enlargements, good results at 16x20 are very possible, BUT that's assuming you know how to shoot well, and especially how to correctly post process a digital image file to get the optimum sharpness, color, and resolution for a large print.
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

I understand your confusion

Thank you guys, I'm sorry I wanst very specific.
    The project is for Flash MX, there this costumer who want's me to do some sort of music video using flash, it's really a challenge.
    Video it's too big in size, photos? it should do the job just fine, the idea is to pthotogragh this guy in diferent facial expresions while BGs of different cities and events pass through, some will fade in and out ETC. my maine concern is that this guys look consist on his hair being kind of messy, his hair is very light and long, and this is where I though chromakeying would have done the job.
    I'm a litle dissapointed because my test aren't coming as I though they would but I just can't give up so easy.
    "Spill to the foreground" sounds interesting, should I place another light behind the object facing his hair?
    Thank you guys.

Thread Information