Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

opinion with lens choice

I have a Rebel Ti, and am replacing the crap optics that came with it, Looking at the Canon 24-85, the 28-105(3.5-4.5) and the Sigma 28-70(2.8) Tried them all out, read the reviews, just stuck on a decision. Cost is very close, within 100 dollars(CAN) about 70 USD after filters hood etc, anyone use these, and what do you think. Oh, mainly walk abouts and portrait/wedding stuff.
    Thanks

Sitting in a Leaky Dingy Michael Fanelli's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PhotoGimp
    I have a Rebel Ti, and am replacing the crap optics that came with it, Looking at the Canon 24-85, the 28-105(3.5-4.5) and the Sigma 28-70(2.8) Tried them all out, read the reviews, just stuck on a decision. Cost is very close, within 100 dollars(CAN) about 70 USD after filters hood etc, anyone use these, and what do you think. Oh, mainly walk abouts and portrait/wedding stuff.
    Thanks
    IMHO, I'd stick with Canon lenses when possible. Of your choices, the 28-105 would be an excellent all-round lens.
    "Every great decision creates ripples--like a huge boulder dropped in a lake. The ripples merge and rebound off the banks in unforseeable ways.

misanthrope
    Quote Originally Posted by PhotoGimp
    Thanks
    I agree- stick with the Canon lenses. I have the 28-105, and I find myself not needing my telephoto zoom as often. The 24-85 would be nice, but the extra 4mm on the wide end is marginal compared to the extra 20mm on the other end. I like the aperture speed of the Sigma, and I almost bought it, but after reading dozens of rave reviews of the 28-105, it became apparent that it was a good lens. And it is. I do not like the moving lens front during zooming, but hey, who can afford internal zooming and internal focusing and constant f/2.8?
    This lens is so silent, I sometimes forget it has AF. And with the camera set to servo and zoomed to 28mm, you can't get an out-of-focus shot. I love this lens, and if you buy it, so will you. Only drawback is the aperture range. A 2.8 lens would be ideal, but hey, buying Canon is a little extra insurance against malfunctions from the interaction between two different brands. That said, I should admit my big zoom is indeed a Sigma 70-300. Go figure... Be sure to buy the hood for it- it helps tons... just too bad it doesn't come with the lens...
    "We've all been raised by television to believe that one day we'll all be millionaires and movie gods and rock stars -- but we won't. And we're slowly learning that fact. And we're very, very pissed off."

-Fight Club, Chuck Palahniuk

Thread Information