Sports Photography Forum

Share your sports photos and discuss sports photography techniques and issues. This forum is moderated by SmartWombat.
Featured Photo
Photo by Tumber

by Tumber
Featured Photo Archive >>

Thread: lens choice

Smile lens choice

Some how i have managed to blag a press pass to a local 4 x mountainbike race it is going to be fast as heck so i am going to need a fast lens with quick AF and a reasonable range, i have the 24-85 f/2.8 which is not too bad but i will need a longer lens i am looking at either the 24-120VR or the sigma 70-200f/2.8 i could push out to the nikkor 70-200 vr but is wayy on the edge of my budget if not a little beyond, during the event i will be using a monopod as well if that helps, i would appreciate a little advice if anyone has done much in this way.

Simon

www.pbase.com/simonkirk

Have you tried your 70-300 f/4-5.6 lens for this type shooting? It may work for you if you set your Camera to "Shutter Priority" and keep your shutter speed up. How far are you going to be from the action? I have shot a lot of fast moving sports with a Nikkor 70-300mm F4-5.6G Lens as well as a Sigma 170-500mm 5-6.3 Lens. I just set the camera on shutter priority and let it go, it has always stopped the motion like I wanted.
    If you are looking for another lens you may want to try KEH Camera, they are really great with products, price and service. http://www.keh.com/hmpg/index.cfm

What does this button do? Ooops. JDub's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by devoninbred
    i am looking at either the 24-120VR or the sigma 70-200f/2.8
    www.pbase.com/simonkirk
    I use Sigma 70-200 f2.8 for about 80% of my shooting (including almost exclusively at MTB XC races). Its a great quality fast lens that I didn't blow my budget out of the water. I've been thoroughly impressed with it thus far. Its nice to have the f2.8 to isolate the rider from the background at times (and the fast shutter speeds).

Thread Information