Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Need nikon replacement camera

Hi. I have had a Nikon N65 for the last two years. I also have a 50dx speedlight. Today the film door broke on the camera and the store was nice enough to refund me my money for the purchase since there wasn't another N65 in stock. I am interested in upgrading to another Nikon but am unsure of how far I can go and still be able to use the 50dx speedlight. Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

The SB-50dx works with the following Nikons: F5, F100, N90s and N80.

Thanks for your help.

Should really work with any fairly recent camera, actually. When a piece of equipment comes out, they generally only list the current products it works with, but there's some backward-compatibility too. The "DX" was actually developed for digital SLR's, but they're going to something new with DSLR's anyway - day in the life of a Nikon owner! With film SLR's it doesn't matter anyway - works better too.

I don't know much about either, but the N75 looks pretty interesting. Might want to look at it, it's pretty new. If you want to step up to something with a pretty good amount of manual control (including all of the auto functions) then you might want to look at an N80 too - good rebates on it now too.

BTW - welcome to the new boards.

Hi

Hi. You've helped me before!!! I'll need to look into the N75. I am also considering the digital slr's but don't know if I'll go that route just yet. I'd love too but very expensive. I have to persuade my husband. What are the main differences between the 65, 75 and 80? I am an auto kind of girl. Do you know much about the 70 and 100? I don't see where the 70 is compatible with the 50dx. I want to make sure I can use the speedlight I already have and I also have the flash bracket for that. You may have played a part in that decision actually! Anyway...thanks for any information. I am trying to read the boards here and do research but really things are well over my head. I was very pleased with my N65 but the door broke on it and the store kindly refunded me my full purchase price so I want more. I'm afraid the digitals won't give me the same picture quality as the film cameras but I love the idea of taking tons of pictures and only printing those I want. I am unsure about what else I'll need in addition to the body and lens as there are dozens of accessories out there. Thanks for responding!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by RachelleFav
    Hi. You've helped me before!!! I'll need to look into the N75. I am also considering the digital slr's but don't know if I'll go that route just yet. I'd love too but very expensive. I have to persuade my husband. What are the main differences between the 65, 75 and 80? I am an auto kind of girl. Do you know much about the 70 and 100? I don't see where the 70 is compatible with the 50dx. I want to make sure I can use the speedlight I already have and I also have the flash bracket for that. You may have played a part in that decision actually! Anyway...thanks for any information. I am trying to read the boards here and do research but really things are well over my head. I was very pleased with my N65 but the door broke on it and the store kindly refunded me my full purchase price so I want more. I'm afraid the digitals won't give me the same picture quality as the film cameras but I love the idea of taking tons of pictures and only printing those I want. I am unsure about what else I'll need in addition to the body and lens as there are dozens of accessories out there. Thanks for responding!!!!!!!
    The thing about digital is YOU do ALL of the work. You process, you print, you are in charge of how good, or bad, the images look. The DSLRS you're looking at can easily surpass or match film in almost all circumstances, that's not even a concern. What should be a concern is if you're willing to learn many new techniques required to get the most out of the images. The price is not as much as you would think either, it easily balances against the cost of film and processing.

Why don't you go on Nikon's site and ask there is the SB50 is compatible? If not, there is no harm in just putting it up on eBay and buying something else.
    -Seb

My website

(Please don't edit and repost my images without my permission. Thank you)

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

Thanks!

Thanks, Sebastian. Good points! I have another digital camera which I love but very outdated. I'd like to replace both my broken n65 and that one if at all possible. I'm not quite sure yet. I was just reading other posts and I believe you said you had images from your D70 for viewing. I may be mistaken. Anyway...I couldn't find my way back to that thread!!!! These message boards have changed since last time I was here. I was just curious to see.

Is there typically a lot of doctoring required for digital photos taken? Are all of the files loaded directly to your computer and then you have to find a means of printing those you like? I think I've read it is a usb transfer but is there a memory card of sorts required. You'll know the answer to this one too...do you need the compact flash I read about for good pics or is the camera body and lens suitable for starters. I read that there is another speedlight becoming available for the d70. Thanks for any info. You guys are great.

Thanks, Sebastian. Good points! I have another digital camera which I love but very outdated. I'd like to replace both my broken n65 and that one if at all possible. I'm not quite sure yet. I was just reading other posts and I believe you said you had images from your D70 for viewing. I may be mistaken. Anyway...I couldn't find my way back to that thread!!!! These message boards have changed since last time I was here. I was just curious to see.

Is there typically a lot of doctoring required for digital photos taken? Are all of the files loaded directly to your computer and then you have to find a means of printing those you like? I think I've read it is a usb transfer but is there a memory card of sorts required. You'll know the answer to this one too...do you need the compact flash I read about for good pics or is the camera body and lens suitable for starters. I read that there is another speedlight becoming available for the d70. Thanks for any info. You guys are great.
    Rachelle,

There are five things you NEED to go from taking a pic to finished print:

1) Camera
    2) Lens
    3) Storage of the picture, be it film or a card, the digitals use Compact Flash mostly. Like film, these cards, depending on their capacity, will hold differing amounts of pics. Unlike film, they can be erased and reused.
    4) Computer for displaying and sending the image to the printer
    5) Printer

Now that doesn't mean that you have to own all of those, you don't have to buy a printer or a computer. Many sotres have machines that let you stick in your compact flash card or other media and get prints, they even let you do some basic adjustments. That effectively eliminates steps 4 and 5 in the above list. However, the computer also becomes the long-term store for the images. The original files are like negatives, they will give you the best quality when it comes to reprints and should be handled with care not to overwrite them with edited images, as you can never go back to the original once you permanently change it. So that makes eliminating the PC altogether not the best idea, unless you don't mind leaving the prints as the only lasting form of the image and deleting the original files.

Now there is an intermediate step that is required to get the highest possible quality out of the file, and it falls inbetween steps 4 and 5, and that is the editing. This is NOT doctoring! This is equivalent to the darkroom techniques of tone or color adjustment, sharpening, etc. You would spend some time in a dedicated rpogram adjusting the sharpness, color and contrast before you print. This is something that's always done, it's just that usually the machines at the store does it for you automatically with 1-hour film developing. Now you'd have to do it yourself. Consumer digicams do a lot of that for you, making the images look good straight out of the camera, but they limit what you can do in the long run. Digital SLRs sharpen less, adjust contrast less, and in general give you a file that, straight out of the camera, looks slightly worse than a consumer digicam. However, due to the nature of the sensors and processing used, the files can be adjusted to look MUCH better in final output than the ones from the consumer digicams, in general. The amount of adjustment varies from image to image. With my tools of choice and the way I've learned to work with them, I can spend several minutes on an image to get it print-ready. If I choose to work it further that can turn into several hours, depending on what I want to do with it. Mind you, you don't edit every image. You shoot as many as you want or can, pick the best ones, and edit those for print or other forms of display. You would't spend ten minutes on each image from a shoot that had you come back with 300 shots, that would just be ridiculous on many levels.

I understand that I'm probably dumbing it down more than I need to, but I want to make sure the basics are covered.

As for samples from the D70, I do not have any. I owned the D100, but never had any hands-on experience with the D70. Any references to samples I made in other forums were from files either sent to me or freely available on the net. I think Seb might own one? It's easy to confuse us, I'm named Sebastian, but sign everything Seb, and his screen name is Seb and he signs everything Seb...

As for speedlights, there are the SB-800 and the SB-600. The 600 is the one that would fall on the same level as your 50, but designed to work with the new i-TTL system found in the D70 and D2H cameras. It's the next generation of the DX system, bigger and better as they say. It basically works more reliably than the DX flashes. You wouldn't know since you shoot film, but due to the difference in reflectivity between film and sensors, flash behaves differently on digital than it does on film cameras, and getting consistent reliable exposures has not been very easy for these companies.

Oh, one more thing, transfer. I didn't list that since it's sort of assumed, but yes, you need to get the images off of the card onto the computer. You either plug the camera intot he computer directly, or use the preffered method of using a card reader. The reader just sits next to the PC and you stick the cards into it, keeping the camera free. Plus, the readers tend to be faster at tranferring the files.

Alright, I think I covered everything in your post, keep asking until you're satisfied.
    -Seb

My website

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

Wow

Where do you get all this info??? Thanks so much. I understand completely. Okay...a few more questions then. Do they camera outfits typically come with photo editing software? I've seen several different cameras online but have read that some don't come with all that you'd assume for the price. I have yet to see that a compact flash card comes with any of the cameras. Do you think this is a safe assumption? And what would you recommend in this area would be required?

Wow - how do I follow that!? First off Seb really knows his stuff, but don't tell him I said so or he'll get an ego. Here's my take:

Getting a DSLR is like opening Pandora's box. If you don't want to deal with any computer related stuff (probably not the case or you wouldn't be here), then it's not for you. You'll learn things like not sharpening in the camera to have more flexibility later with Photoshop, etc. Of course, you're setting yourself up for doing more work but getting better results. Essentially, you become your own lab. I don't make my own prints, but shoot, edit and prepare the files in Photoshop, then burn a CD. The lab doesn't do anything to my files other than print them - no "optimization", etc. Works out good for me for not having to own and maintain a nice printer, but some day I'll have to get one. I will tell you that I've probably paid for my Fuji S2 in film and processing costs since I got it last August - plus the benefits from instant feedback but that's enough of that story... But, by the time I add in all the money I've spent on compact flash cards, Photoshop CS, Monaco Optix monitor calibration software, etc - I don't know if that holds up.

Compact flash cards are necessary, they're essentially "digital film". It's what your images are recorded on. I personally use 512mb cards (you can download a card and burn directly to a CD), but it depends on how you shoot as far as how many and how big they need to be for your situation. A typical day's worth of shooting capacity is usually fine, but what about vacation for a week? Something to think about. With digital, it's all up-front costs.

The D70 is compatible with the SB50DX, but not the most current flash system they offer. Nikon's newest iTTL flash system looks pretty good, but you'd need an SB-600 or SB-800 with a D70 or D2H to use it. With a D70 and SB50DX, you might get the best results shooting in "A" mode on the flash, nothing to do with TTL. Books could be written about this, but it seems to be the concensus.

For film cameras, you can spend A LOT less up front and get a really nice camera. How many rolls a month do you shoot? How big are your prints? How fast do you need them? These are all questions to ask. I don't have any personal experience with the N65, N75 and N80, although my Fuji S2 is built on an N80 body (sort of franken-camera).

We just need to get you out of auto mode once in a while...

Thank you :)

He he. Y'all are wealth of information! Boy do I ever need to get out of auto mode but by the time I get my pictures back I don't remember what I did! It'd be nice to "see" what I take before sending it off for developing. Thus...digital might be good. The camera and lens itself seem to be somewhat affordable but then you add the flash card, etc. and it gets pricey. How many pictures does the 256 and 512 cards hold. I typically develop 4x6 pics. Is that one you mean? Does the camera reformat them once you've gotten them backed up? I would love to take lots of pictures each month but I typically take about 2 rolls per month now because I was getting out of hand for a while there. I just dropped off four rolls yesterday. Turnaround time isn't a big deal. So you just bring a cd to the store and they print them up? Would a typical store do this or only specialty stores? I do have a cd burner and using a computer isn't a hassle for me. I use it quite often. Is the software that comes with the camera typically sufficient for photo editing for a beginner? What is the Monaco Optix monitor calibration software that you mentioned?

Glad to help. Here goes -

Usually you'd probably shoot jpeg files, fine mode (this could start a war though - there are a lot of ways to do it). If you did this, you'd get about 200 shots on a 512 card (6mp camera) or 100 on a 256. Rough numbers but should be within 10%. Shooting the highest resolution and least compression will keep the options open later if you want a big print, and as you can see you can still fit a lot of these images on a card. I've got a couple of 16x24's here that look that they were taken on medium format film by doing this (and some simple things later in Photoshop). My Fuji is also a 6mp DSLR, so you shouldn't have any problem with this on a D70.

The camera doesn't automatically reformat the card, but it's a very good idea to do it every time you download.

How much do you pay per exposure for film & processing? You can figure out how many shots would equal $1500 and then estimate how long it takes to take that many shots - but this isn't the only reason to go (or not) digital.

For usual stuff and small prints, I go to a local place that has a Fuji Frontier minilab. They have them at WalMart too. Bring the CD to the self-service kiosk, order the prints and pick up next day (at least at this place). Their prints are less expensive and look better than doing it myself, plus I don't have to buy and maintain a printer. Works for me.

Any digital camera will come with image editing software. A good one to use is Adobe Photoshop Elements ($99 I think) - you may eventually want to move up to the full version of Photoshop CS and if you're familiar with Elements, you'll have a big head start.

Monaco Optix (there are others too) is a monitor calibration package. A calibrated monitor insures (theoretically) that the monitor is displaying colors correctly. IOW, you edit an image in Photoshop until you get it where you want it. You know it looks right because you're looking at it on the monitor. Better be sure the monitor is displaying everything correctly or your print might not be what you see on the monitor. Don't worry about this yet, it's not essential to getting started but a good thing to do at some point.

Steve covered mostly everything. Those little kiosks do a great job at 4x6 prints, and they do it cheaper than I can at home. As for editing software, I think the D100 came with Elements, but I'm not 100% on that. Not sure what the D70 comes with.

I love the idea of doing the math for how much you pay in developing and film. It's an up-front expense, but it might be worth it.
    -Seb

My website

Thanks guys

I have another question for you. I am looking at the D70's online and several online stores offer them at various prices. I am a little uneasy ordering from just anywhere though some have lower prices than others. Do you know much about the Sigma 28-80mm Autofocus Lens and the same 70-300 mm Lens? Ritz camera offers a package with both lenses and the camera body. I had thought it best to stay with Nikon brand lenses for the best results...is this true? I totally agree that in the long run I would save lots of money going digital since most of my pictures are of my children and 80% of them don't come out anyway. I just have to convince my husband of this. I'm fighting a hard battle!!! Do you know if you can immediately delete an image if you don't like it directly with the camera?

Buy it from a reputable place, and make sure to get a "US" version or you'll be on your own when it comes to service - Nikon won't touch grey market stuff. Should cost abou $1k for the body alone. Some stores might have a grey market version for a little less money but on a DSLR I wouldn't risk it personally.

I don't have experience with those lenses but you might check the reviews here. There are a lot of good 3rd party lenses, I've got a Tokina that I've made some big prints with and they look great. And yes, you can immediately delete a shot (but since it's hard to tell from the small LCD monitor I wouldn't do it unless you're sure).

Stores

Do you have any particular with online dealers? B & H is currently out of stock. We are going out of town next weekend so whataver I get be it digital or perhaps an N80 I don't want to wait. Have you found it necessary to buy service agreements with products. I'm not sure of maintenance costs on these things. I have one digital camera that I've had for three years with no trouble and the door on my nikon broke after two years but I don't think that would have been much trouble to replace. Thanks for the information.

Do you have any particular with online dealers? B & H is currently out of stock. We are going out of town next weekend so whataver I get be it digital or perhaps an N80 I don't want to wait. Have you found it necessary to buy service agreements with products. I'm not sure of maintenance costs on these things. I have one digital camera that I've had for three years with no trouble and the door on my nikon broke after two years but I don't think that would have been much trouble to replace. Thanks for the information.
    http://www.samys.com/

http://www.penncamera.com/

http://www.calumetphoto.com
    -Seb

My website

Smile Thanks Sebastian!

I appreciate the links.

Getting back to the original question

Hi. I have had a Nikon N65 for the last two years. I also have a 50dx speedlight. Today the film door broke on the camera and the store was nice enough to refund me my money for the purchase since there wasn't another N65 in stock. I am interested in upgrading to another Nikon but am unsure of how far I can go and still be able to use the 50dx speedlight. Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
    I have an F80, a F100 and I traded my F65 for an F75. I don't have a SB50 but it should work with all of them.

These are all nice cameras, with a distict family feeling - I started out with the F100 which has a really great feel. When I wanted something smaller and lighter then the F80 was really nice (just a pity about the 1/125 flash sync). When I wanted something cheaper to carry around all day then the F75 is really packed with features for very little money (just a pity about the small viewfinder). The odd one out is the F65 which seemed like lots of features were missing (the focus area selection is really poor).

If I were you I would go for the F75. As for the D70 - I suspect there's something even better just around the corner, which will support your SB50. But it will probably be more expensive.

Charles

B & H is currently out of stock. We are going out of town next weekend so whataver I get be it digital or perhaps an N80 I don't want to wait. Have you found it necessary to buy service agreements with products. I'm not sure of maintenance costs on these things. I have one digital camera that I've had for three years with no trouble and the door on my nikon broke after two years but I don't think that would have been much trouble to replace. Thanks for the information.
    I usually go to B&H because they're very good about shipping quickly and having most things in stock. With something new like the D70, since the whole world shops there, the waiting lists tend to be about a mile long. You might get it just in time for Christmas. Try the ones Seb suggested, or some here have said that the Ritz stores stock the D70. You shouldn't have any trouble finding an N80 or N75 though.

I don't buy service agreements but some people do, personal preference. I've never needed them (knock on formica covered particleboard). If something goes wrong with a D70 it's likely to be pretty expensive to fix, but like I said go with the US version or the little bit of money saved by buying it that way will make it unrepairable.

N75, N65 and N80

Charles, what are the main differences between the three cameras you mentioned? There are so many to chose from!

I've also been very pleased withe B & H. I've gotten some accessories there for my N65 and they were quite speedy with delivery. I really fear not buying an extended warranty or service agreement but I've read that warranties are a waste of money...not sure on camera equipment. I'd hate for such an expensive camera to break!

Cool A few things I would like to mention

I would like to mention that I have purchased two digital cameras from Sears in the last couple of years. They don't have a big selection but if they have what you are looking for they will match Internet prices. This will give you the best price and also let you pick up the camera locally and have a place to return it if needed. All you have to do is print out the page off the Internet and take it with you when you go in to purchase you camera.

Another positive thing I would like to mention about going digital is that after many years of taking family photos you can put the whole collection on a couple of CD's. This is handy when in later years if you have two or three children you can burn a copy of the CD's for each of your children and they will have a complete set of their family history to look at look back on.

One more positive is that you can make a copy on a CD for a backup, this way you never have to get worried when you leave your Cd at the shop to get printed. If it is lost or ruined in some way you will still have the original. Another idea is to have a backup CD in your safe deposit box. How many times have you seen people on the news after hurricanes, floods, fire, or some other disaster say we can replace the house but not all the pictures of our children and family over the years? With a backup copy in you safety deposit box you can get them all back.

You can also document everything in your home for insurance purposes.

Just a couple of thoughts I had about the subject.

Great ideas!

Thanks for your thoughts. I hadn't considered some of your points. I am just about sold but still a little uneasy with the purchase price though I'm sure I won't be dissapointed. I am now trying to find someone who has it in stock and deciding if I should get an extended warranty or not. Hopefully I'll have it resolved soon! Thanks again.

Very good ideas. It's so easy to back up (and make copies) and very necessary as well. Hard drives fail, simple as that.

One other point - if you change lenses you will eventually get dust on the sensor. Be as careful as you can, and that will make your life easier but eventually it will happen. Should be easy enough to fix quickly in Photoshop with the cloning stamp. If/when you change lenses, make sure the camera is turned off and change the lenses as quickly as possible. You want as little time as possible for the camera not to have a lens or body cap on it. Don't worry about it too much, a blower bulb should take care of the problem if it happens. You can also send it in for professional cleaning (I've never done that) or get the stuff to do it yourself (can be risky, not covered by warranty if you make a mistake - never done this either). If you're not going to change lenses, then maybe a DSLR is overkill? Check out cameras like the Coolpix series if that's the case.

With film, your "imaging sensor" changes every time you advance the film, so the dust wasn't really a problem.

Thanks

Initially I don't think I'll be changing lenses much but maybe in the future. My Nikon was my first slr and it was such a vast improvement in the canon elph I had prior to that. The pictures were amazing even though it was all an auto job. I'm just looking for the same results that I had with that but like the idea of not having to process film so I can take as many pictures as I want. Are the results from a coolpix and dslr comparitive? Whatever I buy has to replace the quality of pictures I had with my N65, you know?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information