Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Unhappy Bad Compact Flash Card? New baby pictures in jeopardy!

My friend just had a baby and was taking shots of the pre-during-post delivery. When he went load them in his card reader the computer did not read the reader as a drive and then when he put the card back in the camera he recieved a card error message. Is there anything he can do?

Please help!!!!!!
    Wes

Who are they, where are they, how can they possibly know all the rules?

I would probably try this program: http://www.nikondigital.org/products/rescue/photorescue.htm
    I don't have it personally but this would probably be the place I'd start.

Quote Originally Posted by another view
    I would probably try this program: http://www.nikondigital.org/products/rescue/photorescue.htm
    I don't have it personally but this would probably be the place I'd start.
    thanks AV, I will have him give it a try!
    Wes

Glad to help - if that doesn't work, you might want to try these guys: http://www.tallyns.com/Click on "Data Recovery Services at the top left, I can't link directly to that page. Once again, I haven't used this service myself but saw the ad and keeping it in mind if I ever need it.

BTW, I just did something stupid and I lost some images because of it. Fotunately nothing good, but it was a good wake up call I guess... I shot a concert because there was no still photography (as in not video) restriction. They even checked my bag to find two SLR's, several lenses, etc and let me right on in. As soon as the headliner came out, I was told that if I took a shot I'd get my gear confiscated - so I only had pretty bad shots anyway. I didn't download the card when I got home (like I usually do) and then realized after I re-formatted the card and took many more images over it. I'm sure they're gone and don't really care about them - but I'll have to be a little more careful next time! Ten shots lost in two years - not too bad I guess, YMMV depending on which ten shots though...

Quote Originally Posted by another view
    Glad to help - if that doesn't work, you might want to try these guys: http://www.tallyns.com/Click on "Data Recovery Services at the top left, I can't link directly to that page. Once again, I haven't used this service myself but saw the ad and keeping it in mind if I ever need it.

BTW, I just did something stupid and I lost some images because of it. Fotunately nothing good, but it was a good wake up call I guess... I shot a concert because there was no still photography (as in not video) restriction. They even checked my bag to find two SLR's, several lenses, etc and let me right on in. As soon as the headliner came out, I was told that if I took a shot I'd get my gear confiscated - so I only had pretty bad shots anyway. I didn't download the card when I got home (like I usually do) and then realized after I re-formatted the card and took many more images over it. I'm sure they're gone and don't really care about them - but I'll have to be a little more careful next time! Ten shots lost in two years - not too bad I guess, YMMV depending on which ten shots though...
    Only 10 shots lost?! Not too bad at all! Do you usually reformat your card regularly? I just delete the shots when I have them in the reader on the computer. Should I delete them or reformat?

BTW - good thing they didn't take your gear at the show. Would you still have gone in if they took and told you they would keep it "safe" until the show ended?
    Wes

Quote Originally Posted by shutterman
    Only 10 shots lost?! Not too bad at all! Do you usually reformat your card regularly? I just delete the shots when I have them in the reader on the computer. Should I delete them or reformat?

BTW - good thing they didn't take your gear at the show. Would you still have gone in if they took and told you they would keep it "safe" until the show ended?
    All the "experts" say to reformat every time. I just do it and have never had a problem (other than my own stupidity as previously mentioned...). It would only take losing one shot to make me mad - if it was the right shot. These were all pretty bad, I only took them because I was there and didn't want to come home completely empty handed.

I was a little surprised that they changed the rules when the headliner (Allman Brothers) came out, but can understand the whole copyright thing. I was tempted to take a few shots and head for the gate, but couldn't get a decent enough place to shoot to even try my luck.

Hey AV, IT WORKED!!!!!!!!!!! They were so happy (especially the mom!) to have the pictures back! Thanks for the tip. Also, thanks for the tip on the reformating everytime.
    Wes

That's great! I should probably get it myself, probably only a matter of time before I'll need it.

Thread Information