Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.
    Liz

Question Need Compact Flash card info....help

The Canon rep from B&H told me that within 2-3 weeks that the cost of 512 CF cards will most likely drop significantly (whatever that means).

Since the difference in prices is significant according to speed, I'd like some info on if the extra speed is worth the price. I have the Rebel 300D.

What exactly am I getting for the extra cash? Thanks for any help/advice/info.

I believe these prices are fairly accurate (B&H prices)
    (Plain old) Lexar 512 CF is $79
    Lexar 512 CF 40x is $123
    Lexar 80x (forgot) but it's much higher

Liz, Look at Sandisk as well, the prices are pretty reasonable for them as well. Remember the Lexar have the WA and they aren't effective with the Rebel or the 10D digitals. I have the Lexar 256meg WA card x40 and don't notice any difference with a generic 256meg card I have.

Cameras need to be able to take the capabilities of these cards and unfortunately we aren't in there. The newer cards I think are specifically targeted at the high end cameras and not the consumer end, hence the pice difference.

I hope that helps. I am looking at a Sandisk 512meg extreme or ultra card for use with my 10D.

Liz

Question Thanks Peter.......BUT

"I have the Lexar 256meg WA card x40 and don't notice any difference with a generic 256meg card.......I am looking at a Sandisk 512meg extreme or ultra card for use with my 10D"

Peter -
    So, the extreme and/or the ultra card makes a difference - but the x40 or x80 doesn't?

Please clarify - as the extreme and ultra are more expensive also. So, what makes these worth the extra $?

Thanks.

Liz

If I've got it right, they can write the image faster to the card. When you shoot, the image goes to a buffer (temporary memory), then is written to the card. This way, you can still shoot even though the card is still saving previous shots. How many shots you can fit in the buffer depends on the camera and size of the file (RAW shots take more space than JPEG's, etc).

Personally, I use 40x cards but also have one 24x (older) card. I really haven't noticed a difference with either of them in the Fuji S2 or Coolpix 5000 - but I don't shoot sports either! Even in RAW with the Fuji, I can take the shots I need and let the buffer do it's thing. I haven't run out of buffer space so really don't pay attention to it because I haven't had a problem with it.

The reason I use the 40x cards is because of the lifetime warranty, Image Rescue software that's included and the card reader that comes with (you need that reader to use Image Rescue). Lexar's service is really good too - one card I bought was defective and they took care of it immediately. I personally don't think 80x cards will make a difference in my shooting, but maybe that's what will be available and what I end up with when I get more. The 40x is being replaced by the 80x - just like anything in electronics, faster, faster, faster. I think the 512 80x is around $180 or so. I'm going to wait because I've heard the same thing about big price drops - at that point I might get a couple more 512's for an upcoming trip at the end of July (where I won't have electricity for a week, so no downloading!).

Liz

Ultra and Extreme...........

Ok....so the ultra & extreme can write the image faster? Even tho the 40x or 80x doesn't make (much of) a difference? Sorry, but I'm not great at comprehending all this, but I want to get the most for the $. If it doesn't make a difference, I'll stick to the el cheapo!

Thanks for the explanation.......

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by another view
    If I've got it right, they can write the image faster to the card. When you shoot, the image goes to a buffer (temporary memory), then is written to the card. This way, you can still shoot even though the card is still saving previous shots. How many shots you can fit in the buffer depends on the camera and size of the file (RAW shots take more space than JPEG's, etc).

Personally, I use 40x cards but also have one 24x (older) card. I really haven't noticed a difference with either of them in the Fuji S2 or Coolpix 5000 - but I don't shoot sports either! Even in RAW with the Fuji, I can take the shots I need and let the buffer do it's thing. I haven't run out of buffer space so really don't pay attention to it because I haven't had a problem with it.

The reason I use the 40x cards is because of the lifetime warranty, Image Rescue software that's included and the card reader that comes with (you need that reader to use Image Rescue). Lexar's service is really good too - one card I bought was defective and they took care of it immediately. I personally don't think 80x cards will make a difference in my shooting, but maybe that's what will be available and what I end up with when I get more. The 40x is being replaced by the 80x - just like anything in electronics, faster, faster, faster. I think the 512 80x is around $180 or so. I'm going to wait because I've heard the same thing about big price drops - at that point I might get a couple more 512's for an upcoming trip at the end of July (where I won't have electricity for a week, so no downloading!).

Liz,

some are faster than others. The point they are trying to make is the difference is so miniscule you will never notice it. Just get whatever the best deal is, there is seriously no point in worrying about it unless you shoot a mark II and fill 1 gig cards every half hour.
    -Seb

My website

(Please don't edit and repost my images without my permission. Thank you)

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

I feel the need to add:

In my Digital Rebel, a Lexar 1 gig 40x WA card was about twice as fast writing a RAW file than a Sandisk generic 256 meg card...
    A good craftsman never blames his tools.

Liz

Smile Thanks Sebastian & Sean......

I'll check the prices in a couple of weeks.....gives me more time to decide.

Sebastian - the difference in cost is a lot......I'll probably go with the cheapest Lexar. But Sean's experience is interesting.

Sean - Thanks for the info.

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastian
    Liz,

some are faster than others. The point they are trying to make is the difference is so miniscule you will never notice it. Just get whatever the best deal is, there is seriously no point in worrying about it unless you shoot a mark II and fill 1 gig cards every half hour.
    Yes - the write speed of an 80x is twice as fast as a 40x, but in "real world" use, you probably won't notice any difference. In the case of Lexar, it's just the latest-greatest although it does come with a new version of Image Rescue (still not that big of a deal IMO).

Take your camera out and shoot twice as much, twice as fast, as you normally do to see if that fills the buffer. If not, keep shooting faster and faster until you do fill it (camera will stop shooting and/or says busy or something to let you know). Don't just hold the shutter release down, but do it when working on street photography to get a good feel for what you've got to work with. If you feel that the write speed of your cards are holding you back after you know how fast you can go - then get an 80x.

Liz

Talking Another view........thanks.......

Just a comment - your screen name fits well......you do come up with some great ideas - "other views" and more than once, this has helped me to see a different perspective.

Thanks for your input. I do appreciate it. I'll try your suggestion.

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by Liz
    Just a comment - your screen name fits well......you do come up with some great ideas - "other views" and more than once, this has helped me to see a different perspective.

Thanks for your input. I do appreciate it. I'll try your suggestion.

Liz
    Thanks, Liz. Goofy trivia: That screen name came from the old boards. Next to the title of the thread, it told how many "views" there were of that thread. I realized that I was just "another view"...

Perfect timing

I need another too. I guess I'll wait for a few weeks, and they look again.

thanks

adina

If people have the version 1 of the Lexar rescue software, you can download the version 2 of it from the Lexar website, they have made if available to people generally. I think it might be because people have inadvertantly deleted it off of the card without realising it was there.

Liz, from what I have read and information I have received, the Sandisk Ultra seems to be very well thought of. Yes the lifetime warranty is a good issue as well, with Lexar, but I think if you look after your gear (and I know you do), then warranty on CF cards shouldn't really be an issue, as there are no moving parts in them. The only thing to be careful about is the pins they connect to in the camera and card reader.

Thread Information