Digital Video Forum

Digital Video Forum Discuss camcorders, HD video, HD DSLRs, video editing, DV software, and video techniques. Your DV forum moderator is Skyman.
Read and Write Camcorder Reviews >>

JVC GR-D20ek problems

HI

Can anyone help. am I wrong or is it normal that a Digital Video camera via firewire should not loose any frames when transfering to a PC. As mine on a 11 min clip lost over 700 frames...

I have a JVC GR-D20ek and my PC is a
    P4 2800mhz with HT 800mhz FSB
    1024mb DDR400
    80gb harddrive
    Windows XP home
    Geforce FX5200 128mb.

Its a sitecom 3 port firewire card and I'm using Adobe Premire light version 6.

Cheers

MJS
    Digital Video Moderator

that's a tough one

Two questions.
    1. Your system sounds up to the job. How fast is the hard drive? It needs to be at least 7200 RPM.

2. Are you set for NTSC or do you use a different standard?

3. Are you digitizing to the same partition as the program where it is getting its system calls?

A second A/V drive might be the answer. Video and audio files take up a lot of throughput and might need their own place to be stored and played back from. On my laptop I run a single 120 gig hard drive, but have it divided into two partitions, two drives more or less. The Avid program, windows etc goes on one, and all of the media files go on the other. No crashes or dropped frames yet.

Good luck,
    MJS

Quote Originally Posted by MJS
    Two questions.
    1. Your system sounds up to the job. How fast is the hard drive? It needs to be at least 7200 RPM.

2. Are you set for NTSC or do you use a different standard?

3. Are you digitizing to the same partition as the program where it is getting its system calls?

A second A/V drive might be the answer. Video and audio files take up a lot of throughput and might need their own place to be stored and played back from. On my laptop I run a single 120 gig hard drive, but have it divided into two partitions, two drives more or less. The Avid program, windows etc goes on one, and all of the media files go on the other. No crashes or dropped frames yet.

Good luck,
    MJS
    I got rid of this camera as I did not like the problems I was having with it. But thanks for your help

Thread Information