Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

Thread: Metal Lens Body

Metal Lens Body

Good-day,

I was wondering if anyone knows of a lens manufacturer that makes Nikon compliant lenses which have a completely metal body (i.e., NO plastics).

Alternatively, if anyone knows of a specific lens with a metal body that would go up to 200 mm that would be great.

Thank you for your time.

Auf wiedersehen,

James
    "Don't take life too seriously; you'll never get out alive"
    - Bugs Bunny

Sitting in a Leaky Dingy Michael Fanelli's Avatar
    May I ask why? Nikon glass is excellent, why settle for less quality to get "all metal"? Will you be using this lens for some special purpose or situation?
    "Every great decision creates ripples--like a huge boulder dropped in a lake. The ripples merge and rebound off the banks in unforseeable ways.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Fanelli
    May I ask why? Nikon glass is excellent, why settle for less quality to get "all metal"? Will you be using this lens for some special purpose or situation?
    Good-day,

For a complete description of the situation I will be using the camera in, please see my other post "Macro->Nikon, Canon, Pentax->Bodies, Lenses" in this forum (Digital SLRs).

In a nutshell, my subject is inside a 700C (1300F) furnace. The furnace is insulated well enough to essentially be room-temperature on the outside, but I will be cutting a hole in the furnace wall to put in a quartz window to photograph through. Though I will have a cooling system for the camera system, I am still looking into if it is possible to get a completely metal lens body.

Auf wiedersehen,

James
    "Don't take life too seriously; you'll never get out alive"
    - Bugs Bunny

I've been reading your posts but really haven't had any advice to help you with - other than thinking that whatever you go with probably won't last too long! I have a Nikon 80-200 f2.8 (there are several versions of this lens, mine is still made but the least expensive of the two available). It has a metal body, and is very well made. It's built to handle the punishment that a photojournalist would give it on a daily basis.

But it's not all metal. There are a lot of plastic parts on it: the aperture ring, the auto/manual focus selector ring, the focus limiter switch, the front rim of the lens, the hood - and probably some internal parts too. I don't think any 3rd party manufacturer would have anything with more metal in it either. Maybe some of the older manual focus lenses have more metal in them, but the camera won't meter with them which probably won't be a big deal in your situation.

Older Nikon Lenses

I'm not exactly sure what the compatibility issues are, but older, manual focus Nikon lenses shoudl do the job. They used to be made completely of metal. And for your purposes, you don't need autofocus anyway.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Sitting in a Leaky Dingy Michael Fanelli's Avatar

Interesting

Quote Originally Posted by Zehn Ziegen
    Good-day,

For a complete description of the situation I will be using the camera in, please see my other post "Macro->Nikon, Canon, Pentax->Bodies, Lenses" in this forum (Digital SLRs).

In a nutshell, my subject is inside a 700C (1300F) furnace. The furnace is insulated well enough to essentially be room-temperature on the outside, but I will be cutting a hole in the furnace wall to put in a quartz window to photograph through. Though I will have a cooling system for the camera system, I am still looking into if it is possible to get a completely metal lens body.
    Interesting project. Here's my take on it. Polycarbonate (plastic) starts deforming at between 400-500 degrees F. If you camera equipment came close to that temperature, you'd have an unuseable camera and lens regardless of material! Also, metal will transmit that heat to the camera internals much more efficiently than polycarbonate. That's a bad thing for stuff such as sensors which can't be metal!

I have only been in "furnace territory" twice in the past, both times while developing software for Bethlehem steel. Although it got pretty hot, even relatively close to the open pits it was bearable, albeit extremely uncomfortable. I'm sure my skin would burn much much faster than polycarbonate.

The only potential big problem I see is the sensor. As sensors heat up, image noise goes up fast. That might be important.

Good luck and let us know what you ultimately choose.
    "Every great decision creates ripples--like a huge boulder dropped in a lake. The ripples merge and rebound off the banks in unforseeable ways.

Thread Information