Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

Comparison Shopping

Over the past few years i have been big into photography, that is until my house's plumbing decided to back up directly into my dark room sink. Since then i haven't really done much photography, and my dark room will probably be turned into a bathroom again someday soon.

I would like to get into digital photography now, but i don't know exactly what to get in the way of a DSLR. I don't want to spend a billion dollars on one, i mainly just want a good low/mid end DSLR. Something around 800-1200 or something around there, something that i can find on ebay and be able to pay the 24 month financing that paypal now offers.

I have always used a Canon before now, but right now i am looking at both Canon's and Nikons, because they both have DSLRs around my price range, or maybe a couple hundred over (which i guess is still kind of in my range). I was looking into a digital Rebel, but i wonder if the body is strong enough to last a while, since it is plastic and all. I haven't actually looked into Nikon's too much yet.

I am looking for something that is fast, because i take a lot of fast action shots. Also, something that will be able to take shots in low light areas, like concert venues, because i will be doing a lot of photo shoots at concerts and events like that.

Re: Comparison Shopping

Hey FL,

(Re)search it out. There are so many great reviews and stuff on the web. There are also many great options out there. Decide what you want in a camera (spot meter, fast focus, fast shutter, lens system, etc.) to help narrow things down. Read the reviews here. Do you have existing Canon lenses? When you have a couple contenders, checkout the forums on dpreview.com:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/

Lurk in the forums of your top contenders to get a very good feel of the strengths and weaknesses of the different models you are considering. That's what I did. Before I made my purchase, I was fully aware of the "issues" of my new camera.

Have fun (because this type of shopping is fun -- for me)!
    Tim
    Samurai #17 |;^\

Ranter and raver.

If I remember correctly, there are 9 entry-level DSLs out right now, not including the new Rebel. I'd have trouble knowing where to start, too! Here's a chart of the big 4 (D70, Rebels, & *istDS).

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/comp...istds&show=all

But more importantly, see how the people on the Dpreview forum like their cameras. How frequently is someone posting about their camera breaking or their disappointment in something? Stuff like that. For Each camera I've seen stunning reviews and not-so-flattering reviews, so I guess it's just a matter of if their review's gripes are things that you would really need.

Personally, I'd put the *istDS on my short list, but that's obvious, since I own one.

Sitting in a Leaky Dingy Michael Fanelli's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FatLuggage
    I was looking into a digital Rebel, but i wonder if the body is strong enough to last a while, since it is plastic and all. I haven't actually looked into Nikon's too much yet.
    Entry level cameras are like that. The Rebel has a metal chassis with a poly shell, the Nikon D70 is all polycarbonate. But that is really irrelevent. Polycarbonate ("plastic") is much tougher than metal and absorbs shock rather than transmits it. There is nothing signifigant to worry about and this should not be the determining factor.
    "Every great decision creates ripples--like a huge boulder dropped in a lake. The ripples merge and rebound off the banks in unforseeable ways.

Thanks everyone, i will check out those forums and look around for a while. I really can't buy anything until i sell my car anyways, so i have a while to research cause no one wants to buy my car. I just found out that a girl a know actually has a digital rebel so maybe i will ask her if i can check it out, cause the ones they have at best buy are always dead.

Thread Information