Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>

Question Apple Mac - problems?

Hello.

I'm a Mac user, and about to take the plunge and buy a 'quality' digital camera (Canon, Olympus, Fuji, or something similar).

Does anyone have any experience of Mac/digital work? This is the set-up I'm proposing....

Mac: PowerPC G3, O/S 8.6, USB card plus hub to run multiple devices;
    Camera: as above, but I'm open to persuasion.
    Link: Card-reader only.

I'm told that an inexpensive card-reader plugged into my USB circuit means that I can take my pics, stick the card into the reader, and automatically transfer the pics to my desktop. (From there, no probs, I have Photoshop, etc., to manipulate).

So, any comments? And any recommendations for both camera, and card-reader.

Thanks.

Allen, London (England)

West Coast Ninja christopher_platt's Avatar

No Problems Here. . .

. . .and I'm using an Ibook G3. Definitely slower than a an Imac. Low memory is a problem once in a while ( I can still do everything I want, it just takes a little while). I would, however, recommend upgrading to OS X ( so you can use Photoshop CS).
    Also, go for a firewire Card reader, instead of USB. I don't have one personally, but just knowing how much faster firewire is than USB, it makes sense. As far as cameras, I'm partial to my new D70. . .
    Chip

are you looking for a "digital camera" or a interchangable lens SLR camera?
    A good craftsman never blames his tools.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Dempsey
    are you looking for a "digital camera" or a interchangable lens SLR camera?
    Hello Sean. A digital camera. (I've got a manual SLR with loads of lenses already!) I want a longish zoom capability on the digital cam. Maybe equivalent of 150mm-ish.

Cheers.
    Allen.

Quote Originally Posted by christopher_platt
    . . .and I'm using an Ibook G3. Definitely slower than a an Imac. Low memory is a problem once in a while ( I can still do everything I want, it just takes a little while). I would, however, recommend upgrading to OS X ( so you can use Photoshop CS).
    Also, go for a firewire Card reader, instead of USB. I don't have one personally, but just knowing how much faster firewire is than USB, it makes sense. As far as cameras, I'm partial to my new D70. . .
    Chip
    Thanks for that, Christopher.
    Problem with me, I think, is connections. PowerPC only has SCSI as standard. I added a USB card to give me USB capability. So where does a Firewire plug in? And what model is your D70?

Cheers
    Allen.

OS 8.6 may be a problem, so may the age of your Mac. Is it a beige G3, or an older Power Mac with a G3 upgrade card? Memory will also probably be an issue. The Mac OS and Photoshop both love RAM.

Firewire would go on a PCI card like your USB card. The FW card and reader will set you back close to $100. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't spend that kind of money to do the job a $10 USB reader (or the cable that comes with the camera free) will do.

OS X won't install on that Mac, at least not out of the box. There may be patches to get it to, but trying to install OS X on a beige Mac isn't something I'd even consider doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Stiegler
    OS 8.6 may be a problem, so may the age of your Mac. Is it a beige G3, or an older Power Mac with a G3 upgrade card? Memory will also probably be an issue. The Mac OS and Photoshop both love RAM.

Firewire would go on a PCI card like your USB card. The FW card and reader will set you back close to $100. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't spend that kind of money to do the job a $10 USB reader (or the cable that comes with the camera free) will do.

OS X won't install on that Mac, at least not out of the box. There may be patches to get it to, but trying to install OS X on a beige Mac isn't something I'd even consider doing.

Hello Erik. Thanks for that, it helps. For the record....

1) Mac is beige, PowerPc, not a PowerMac upgraded.
    2) RAM I have plenty of. (160). Enough for O/S, Quark, Pshop, and Illustrator at the same time.
    3) Thanks for the Firewire info. Yes, I agree, speed ain't that important to me (old, or as they say round here, vintage, so time isn't a problem!).
    4) No, I'm going to avoid OS X for as long as poss. When I do jump, it'll be to a new Mac with all that in the box, and then the other bullet I'll have to bite is upgrading all the graphics progs. too.

When I do buy all the bits, I will put a post on this site just to let you kind people know how it has all worked out.

Cheers.

Allen.

Thread Information