Camera Dealer Feedback Forum

This forum is moderated by, Grandpaw.
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thumbs down Broadway Photo RipOff

Called to buy a camera a told them what I wanted. They "bait and switched" me to package that they said was only $19 more than my total already and would get additional items. It turns out they lied about what was in the package, lied about the shipping costs and when I tried to work it out with them they where rude and would not give me a fair settlement. I ended up paying $300 over what the value of the package they gave me. Stay away!!!!! Bad people!!!!!!

Ripped Off

Re: Broadway Photo RipOff

Why don't you place this post to more forums. This will help more people save money and give this firm more warnings.
    Mike Young
    Union & Brothers
    We Build Best Photo die cutters
    www.unionbrothers.net
    www.unionandbrothers.com

don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by M_Young
    Why don't you place this post to more forums. This will help more people save money and give this firm more warnings.
    Welcome M. This is the proper fourm for the post. Normally, we wouldn't cross post a subject unless it specifically applied to other forums.

Anyone thinking of making a retail purchase should be checking here anyway...
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

Quote Originally Posted by Asylum Steve
    Welcome M. This is the proper fourm for the post. Normally, we wouldn't cross post a subject unless it specifically applied to other forums.

Anyone thinking of making a retail purchase should be checking here anyway...
    I purchased a Nikon D100 from Broadway Photo in July 2002 when they first came out. My camera broke in September 2005. When I took it in to my local Nikon repair facility they tried to fix it. After several MONTHS.. they had said they would have to send it to Nikon. I found out today 3 1/2 months after I dropped it off that NIKON will NOT fix it. They told me that my camera was GRAY MARKET.. It is not warranteed in the USA..
    Thank fully this evening I found the reciept as I wasnt exactly sure where I purchased it from other then in NY. Well sure enough.. BROADWAY PHOTO.. They are selling products that are from the GRAY MARKET.. the lady that I talked to from NIKON in New York basically told me sorry but they wont touch it.. I will be calling Broadway to see what they say.. but basically I believe I am screwed.. The body alone for this camera in July 2002 was $ 2,100.00 .. VERY SAD.. It has been a awesome camera up to this point.. just wish there were better ways to protect the public.. what did I know about checking thier history back in 2002 ?
    Will update this after I talk to them but I am sure they will basically laugh me off..
    So... BUYERS BEWARE OF BROADWAY PHOTO... dont give them your hard earned money..

don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

Hey, it's buyer beware...

Most all the major NYC camera dealers offer grey market merchandise. Nothing unethical about that. It's pointed out to most buyers that the cheaper price comes with a much more limited warranty. That's the tradeoff...

Still, sounds like Broadway may not have made that clear to you, and that kind of stinks.

Reputable dealers like B&H make it very clear that their grey market gear has no US warranty, and they replace that with a version of their own...
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

I had the same experience with these people. Saw their add in major photo mag and called to place an order for N80 kit. They used the same bait and switch tactic with me and then charge an outrageous shipping fee. I blame myself for allowing it to happen, but will never do business with them again. I should have hung up and gone some where else as soon as they started their spiel.
    Don't forget about the Gallery. Are your photos there??

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

Beware of the stores with the 718 area code. That is Brooklyn, N.Y. There are only two major camera dealers in Brooklyn that I'm aware of that are legit. . .Abes of Maine and another but cannot remember the name. All others are the same shady practice. Broadway Photo, Digital Liquidators, A&M photo, and I think CCI are all the same operation. They have no storefront here in Brooklyn, but are run out of a private house with the stock kept in a garage locally. I was going to purchase a lens a few years ago from them and wanted to go and pick it up since I live in Brooklyn. They told me to come by the address at a certain time, and cash only if I was not paying for shipping. This all sounded too shady for me, and i rather spend a bit more to support the legitimate dealers than these hoods.
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Would give up photography if Broadway Photo were the only dealer in the world. I Tried to order a camera today, lowest prices but………salesman lied about availability of product for immediate shipping. After getting my credit card info, stated I had to buy a premium battery to get the discount because the battery that came with the camera would only hold a charge for 15 minutes. I Cancelled the sale at that point to do a little homework. I called back a few minutes later, talked to another sales rep who stated that the battery was in fact the one supplied by Panasonic (holds a charge for 2-4 hours of continuous shooting). I decided to go ahead with my order….got passed around to 4 people, finally told the camera sold out earlier this morning. Also told me that since I cancelled an order, I couldn’t place another one for 30 days. He got an amazingly snotty attitude when I told him what the other guy said. He was disrespectful, borderline abusive, and Refused to let me speak to a manager. I am 63 years old, this is the worst buying experience of my life, anywhere, anytime, with any purchase.

same here - tried to buy a Sony A100 for the price listed on internet - after they got all my info, the switch began - first off, the salesman not only was a smart alec but lied like crazy too - then, it was going to cost an extra $100 to get the camera you thought you buying - - he was still talking as I cancelled the order and hung up - - also had the same thing happen with a company named Prestige

"BUYER BEWARE" if it sounds to good to be true - - well, you know

I ordered a camera from these guys, then received an email that I needed to phone them to verify the order. After verifying my address, the guy on the phone tried to get me to upgrade the battery to a "four hour model because the OEM battery would only last 30 minute." This tipped me off since I was buying a STILL camera. I said "no" so he then told me that I was ordering an "international version." An American version was $120 more but had an English manual and some additional accessories.
    I found this site, read these posts and promptly cancelled my order. I ordered the camera from Circuit City for a little less than Broadway's American version, didn't have to talk to anybody and got overnight shipping for less than the price of the 3 day shipping from Broadway.
    Thanks Photography Review...
    Jim

Smile Re: Broadway Photo RipOff

To gahspidy:
    Another excellent New York electronics store is J&R.
    I have bought from them many times over the last 10 to 15 years and have found them knowledgeable, and honest in every way.

BurrHog

Don't Ever Buy From Broadway Photo...they Sent Us A Broken Camera And Then Charged Us A Restocking Fee (to Restock A Broken Camera?). We Spent 2 Hrs On The Phone With The Manufacturer And They Concluded The Camera Was Not Functioning Properly But Yet Broadway Said They Tested It Upon Return And It Worked Fine??? Now They Will Send This Broken Camera To Someone Else Again!!!
    Went To J & R And Got The Same Camera (cheaper) And Works Fine!!!

Broadway Is Rude...dishonest....and Deceitful!!!!!

I recently bought a Canon A710 IS digital camera from Broadway Photo. Their website advertised it as a brand-new camera. More than a month later, a problem cropped up, and I had to call Canon Technical Support for advices. Only then, I discovered that the camera was a refurbished item. Never buy anything from Broadway Photo again.

If you have a dispute with Broadway Photo contact your credit card provider. Check time limits to file a complaint. Write out as much detail as you can about your transaction process. Include dates. Names of who you talked to are not important. "Salesman," "Customer service representative," etc., is close enough. Broadway does not record calls and will not discuss details of your purchase online. This is a red flag, for you and your credit card provider. State how you want the issue resolved. State specific amounts for your refunds. Include collaborative material showing situations where Broadway has dealt similarly with other customers. Include URLs. Include the BBB URL for their investigation of Broadway. Document, document, document. Credit card providers loooove documentation.

Read Broadway's Terms and Conditions. This should make you think twice about buying from them. Minimum 5% restocking fee? I believe one purchaser was going to be charged $65 for restocking. Guess how much the product sold for?

I bought a Canon SD 750. Cool little camera. Got a great price. Broadway pulled their little scam about a package price. I didn't purchase it as a package, regardless of their claim of selling it as such. Contacted credit card provider. Resolution was to get my money back for an extra battery and being overcharged. $70 was worth a couple hours of my time. Broadway did not dispute the refund credited from Visa. It isn't worth their time. They are making millions. What if even 10% protest? They still are making suitcases full of easy money from the thousands who do nothing. Don't give up if you've been scammed!

Better yet, simply do not purchase from them in the first place.

anyer

Called to buy a camera a told them what I wanted. They "bait and switched" me to package
    it's wise to stand on your point and do a lot of home work before tell them your credit card number...
    Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail:aureola:
    Is there any DECENT camera under 200$?:idea:

I just submitted a complaint to the Attorney General and advise anyone who has purchased with Broadway Photo to do the same. Fortunately, I have documented evidence that they have lied. They emailed me on November 1st that my item will be shipped. When I spoke to a customer Rep, he told me that it has not shipped and it is shipping this week. It is the end of the week and no word on shipping. I just got hung up on one of them who said I have no right to talk to him "that way" after I told him that they are all a bunch of liars. When I called back, they said the office was closed.

PLEASE - report these guys to the Attorney General if you've had a bad experience. This is the site: http://www.oag.state.ny.us/online_fo...aint_alert.jsp

This company claimed to sell a refurbished DSC-H2 camera for $177. When I made the purchase online on November 1, 2007, they later called me to tell that I would have to call them to confirm the order. When I finally contacted them a few days later the salesperson on the line immediately tried to sell me several other products that went along with the camera. I told him I did not need them. When he told me he would include 2 camera lenses that were the same value as Sony lenses costing $179.00, I agreed to purchase them. Then he told me that the whole package of products which I did not want but included an extended warranty would only cost $20 more, so I agreed to purchase the whole package. for a total cost of $399.00

Upon reviewing the camera lenses I find that the actual cost of them is $40 (found at another website: http://www.goshotcamera.com/product/...d_Cameras.html) and the lenses are defective. So I have purchased a $177 camera for a cost of $399 and now am the proud owner of cheap camera lenses that are worthless to me.

I am usually more cautious about my Internet purchases. However this time I had thought this company was reputable because I'd lived in NYC years ago and thought I'd had made some worthwhile telephone purchase from them at the time. Now I see from reading the above and my own experience with them that I have been deceived. :cryin:

I just filed an online complaint as suggested at:

http://www.oag.state.ny.us/online_fo...aint_alert.jsp

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

You may also want to do a review at reseller.com
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Angry Re: Broadway Photo RipOff

It seems like this place dont really care about customer service or bad publicity. I bought a Canon IXY 800IS in May 2006. I had problems trying to turn it on sometimes it gives me lens error -restart camera issues and consequently turns off by itself. I tried to call Broadway Photo Customer Service during regular hours but no one answers it despite the fact I tried several times throughout the day. When I called the Sales they told me to call Customer Service but during normal hours. I was trying to explained that no one answers but instead of listening he hungs up !

:mad2:
    :cryin:
    AVOID BROADWAY PHOTO AT ALL COST !!!!!!
    I was given a camcorder for xmas and called them 3 days after too exchange, boy was I in for a surprise! The &*%$less pathetic excuse for a human being who referred himself as a representative was antagonistic from the start. After I inquired why I couldn't exchange the gift he said we were too late, b/c it was purchased in november. I asked him "So should I have asked what my mother in law got me for xmas?" He didn't like that, and really disliked it when I inquired why their online prices didn't match the expensive quotes he was giving me over the phone.
    Again, he threatened to offer no exchange and I countered that I would see his company in small claims court. And after I asked to speak to a supervisor, he responded "I am the the supervisor", what is this, and episode of the Chappelle Show? Then for the grand finale, I was transferred to the gallows manager, and folks, I kid you not, I started by saying "Hello Gabe, how are you?" and his heartwarming response, "Great, until I had to talk to you."
    The facts...
    -We contacted our credit card immediately, they were very helpful in helping us getting our money back. Document everything, make copies of receipts, etc..
    - Contact BBB and new york attorney general, file a formal complaint
    - Blog, let other people know.

If Hitler's henchmen were alive, I truly believe they could find employment at none other than....BROADWAY PHOTO.

I bought a Sony DCR-DVD7 in Jan this year and had absolutely no problem with Broadway Photo. I asked for expedited shipping and got it a day before it was suppose to come. Everything in English. Registered it with Sony. Included everything that was mentioned on the website. Plus it's made good. The rep tried to sell up some like they do at the fast food restaurants, do you need this or that, but it wasn't bad. No more than any other store. I had a very good experience with them. Charges on card were right. I only called them the one time to order. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by bruno12
    I bought a Sony DCR-DVD7 in Jan this year and had absolutely no problem with Broadway Photo. I asked for expedited shipping and got it a day before it was suppose to come. Everything in English. Registered it with Sony. Included everything that was mentioned on the website. Plus it's made good. The rep tried to sell up some like they do at the fast food restaurants, do you need this or that, but it wasn't bad. No more than any other store. I had a very good experience with them. Charges on card were right. I only called them the one time to order. Thank you.
    They have a 1.34 lifetime rating out of a possible 10.0 score. Take a look at the resellers rating at this address and read about them, Jeff

http://www.resellerratings.com/store/Broadway_Photo
    Check out my website Here
    My Nikon D7000 Tips thread is HERE

All images posted by me anywhere are Copyrighted by Federal Law and may not be copied or used in ANY FORM without my personal written permission. Jeff Impey
    "I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days... Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days I just refuse to have Bad Ones!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Broadway Camera is a "Bait and Switch" operation. They never intend to sell the products they advertise at the advertised prices.

I placed an order with Broadway Camera on January 15th and started takin notes the next day.

January 16, 2007

After placing my order last night for an Olympus E-3 from Broadway Camera, I got a call and a message to call Broadway Photo to confirm my order.

Mr. Diamond verified my address and then went on to tell me that the camera came without a battery. When I told him that the list of included accessories included a battery, he said “That’s only a twenty minute battery; I have the standard battery and the long life battery, which one would you like?”

I replied “Neither.”

He argued with me saying that I could not use the camera for more than twenty minutes without an additional battery. After the battery issue was solved (I didn’t order any additional batteries.) he asked me if I wanted the “USC” version of the camera. I told him I wanted the version that I ordered. He explained that it was the Japanese version and that all the writing and menus would be in Japanese. He then tried to push the “USC” version. He then went on to explain that they carried three versions of the camera: the “USC”, the “grey market” and the “Japanese” version.

I told him I would stick with my order the way it was.

He said (in a snooty tone)“ I hope you can speak Japanese. Enjoy your camera.” And hung up.

Even if I get the product I ordered and everything is in English, this hassle may still not be worth it.

Then I got this message by email:

From: Orders@bwayphoto.com Add to Address BookAdd to Address Book Add Mobile Alert
    To: mail@frankrocco.com
    Subject: Re: Your Order# W1482928
    Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2008 00:00:03 -0500
    Dear Frank Rocco,

This e-mail is being to sent to update you on the status of your order # W1482928. Your credit card had has not been charged due to the fact that the product you ordered is currently on back-order. When the product arrives we will e-mail you and then process your order.

For updated order status, shipping and tracking information visit the "My Account" area of bwayphoto.com or you may e-mail us at support@bwayphoto.com. Click here to cancel you order

We apologize for any inconvenience.

bwayphoto.com
    Staff

This was my reply:

Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2008 00:54:02 -0800 (PST)
    From: "Frank Rocco" Add to Address BookAdd to Address Book Add Mobile Alert
    Subject: Re: Your Order# W1482928
    To: Orders@bwayphoto.com
    CC: info@uscp.org

Hello Gentlemen,

Your web site currently reads that this item is in
    stock!

http://www.bwayphoto.com/productlistings.aspx?qu=e-3

http://www.bwayphoto.com/viewproduct.aspx?id=9778767

I hope you can resolve this issue or update the web
    site immediately.

Thanks,
    Frank

I believe this strategy is called “Bait and Switch”. The item advertised is not actually available so they try to sell you another item (in this case the same item at a higher price or with additional, overpriced items).

Two days later the web site still reads that the item is in stock.

Even Now, January 24, 2008, their web site still has the same price and claims that the camera is in stock.

I’m aware of the grey market risk, but would like to buy the advertised product for the advertised price.

Lao

I almost got ripped by those bastards too. I won't tell you what they said to me over the phone because of a simple reason: there's nothing more to add.

I already blocked my internet transactions on my Visa, but still, one question runs through my head: have anyone of you had drawn money from your cards by Bwayphoto after an experience like this? I mean without having bought anything from them, just providing them the CC info.

Having read all the other shopper's experiences at Broadway Photo, I wish I had researched here before placing my order! Bottom line, I got the same bait and switch tactic and cancelled my order. However, this was the 3rd place I had gotten the same treatment from and I decided I'd had enough. I filed complaints with the FTC, NY Attorney General, NY Department of Consumer Affairs, and the NYC Department of Consumer Affairs. I've heard back from the FTC and the NYC DCA. Folks, these scammers are going to keep screwing the unsuspecting public until enough of us get fed up and report them to the authorities that control their business license. I recommend filing a complaint with the NYC Department of Consumer Affairs: http://www.nyc.gov/html/dca/html/home/home.shtml or www.nyc.gov/consumers
    Document everything! I copied the webpages that showed Broadway Photo's deceit and mailed the whole package to the DCA. If they get enough complaints - they'll act!

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information