Camera Dealer Feedback Forum

This forum is moderated by, Grandpaw.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

B&H Photo does it again

I posted my praise about B&H photo a few weeks ago when I received my Canon 300D.
    Well, I find it necessary to post a positive feedback for them again. They have outdone themselves. On Monday night (2/9) I ordered a spare battery and a couple of other items from them. The next day (Tues 2/10) B&H sent an email notifying me of the shipment.
    Today (2/13) my package arrived. 3 days from NYC to Alaska...by mail. I dont know about the rest of you, but to me, that is surprising. So again, I give them two thumbs up, 5 stars and a big ol' ATTABOY!!! And once again, I am impressed. They certainly have my business.

jeff
    Diplomacy is the art of letting someone have your way.

While I have traditionally purchased most of my stuff from B&H, I have to say I see the quality of their service (at least where initial sales inquiries go) is declining. The phone wait times are longer than they used to be, and some reps don't seem as friendly / interested in helping you. Also, for some reason B&H is deciding not to carry certain high quality digital products such as the Imacon series of digital backs for MF, and even the new Kodak Pro SLR/n.

I guess I am a little concerned more than anything, because B&H has been the one steady retailer I could always count on, and now it seems they're sort of limiting themselves in certain respects.

Hope I'm wrong....
    D200 = Digital F100
    I have achieved nirvana.

B&H Canon lens

I bought my 70-200 F2.8 Canon lens from them, and it was a very pleasant experience. I ordered it on a Monday, paid for 2 day shipping, and had it on Wednesday. I would definitely use them again.

Liz

Smile What I've experienced lately..........

I've been to B&H a couple of times in the last month. Since summer and digital have met - the store is absolutely crazy. There were at least 10 times more customers last Friday morning than I've ever seen before (and they close at 2:00 on Friday). The line to pay was winding around all the way through 2 rooms and then back to the outside door. I don't know how they managed to move as fast as they did. They have been increasing their staff as I see many new faces behind the counters. They still run a tight ship and do a great business. I think it's probably a little overwhelming right now. They will do great - they always have. So IMO a few glitches here and there will eventually get resolved.

One other thing - as busy as they are, I found the staff as friendly and professional as always, and they give each customer personal attention, and never rush or pressure you into buying.

I've purchased almost all of my equipment at B&H and will continue to do so. I've never had a problem returning anything - no restocking fee, no questions asked. They've come down in price to meet a competitor's price. I can't say enough about my 4 years buying from B&H. I love to go there even when I don't buy anything. Of course, I have to restrain myself at times!

Just my take.

Liz

I'm just an old truck driver, who deliberately avoids New York City - so I can only imagine the thrills of actually shopping in the store at B&H. That's the one thing I just might consider going back to that city for, someday.

But I did place my biggest-ever online order, and first order with them, in June - for a Maxxum 7 and related equipment - after several top recommends from my Minolta users groups.

The service was excellent. I ordered the last Thursday in June, knowing I would be arriving home the following Thursday. Went with the cheapest Ground rate for shipping. When I arrived home, and checked in with the storefront operation that receives packages for me, everything was there. All as specified, well packed and in fine condition.

B&H isn't always the 'lowest advertised price' vendor - but do the math, and you'll likely find them to be the 'lowest true cost' vendor, as I did. For example, on my Maxxum 7 purchase, they charged $399 for the body. The Mack service plan, which I opted for, was $25. Shipping for the entire order, which also included other items, was $11.

Two other major NY vendors were, at the time, offering the body at $364.95 - but then each quoted $75 for the same service plan, and gave quotes of $40 and $60 for the same cheapest UPS Ground shipping.

Liz

Cool Living in NJ

Living in NJ I always get "overnight" service without paying the cost. I just purchased a refurbished Canon 70-200mm/f4 lens at B&H - shipped Monday, received early Tuesday morning UPS ground for $10. I get 99% of my equipment at B&H and have never been disappointed. Visiting B&H is a great experience - you'll love it.

Liz

More Praise of B&H

We can keep the praise of B&H going. Since my August post, earlier in this string, I've done two more orders with them. Same excellent and fast service.

A month or so back, after discovering they had Konica VX film about 20% cheaper than Wal-Mart's price on Superia, I decided to order a supply and try it. (Excellent film, by the way). The order arrived in two days, and was right. Also quite fresh stock - I ordered five different grades, and it ranges from 16 to 24 months left til expiration.

Earlier this week, I ordered a Sekonic L-358 Flashmeter, a book on metering techniques, and a film replenishment. Ordered online after lunch on Monday, it was in the UPS system that evening, and delivered Wednesday. Another perfect job by B&H! (And UPS didn't do too bad, either.)

Re: B&H Photo does it again

I have never had a problem with B&H or Adorama. I even use the web sites to make my purchases.

I had my 3rd shipment from B&H today and I will be buying all my equipment from them in the future. I live in Mass and I pay for 3day Ground UPS and I have gotten all my packages overnight. I just can't believe how fast they pack your order and then get it out that night. I usually order my equipment over the internet and place the order before 10:00AM. I do all the research for the items I want before hand, so I've never had to call them yet. I'm sure if I had to I would only expect them to be very professional in there answers. I still have 3 more big dollar lenses to buy for my Cannon and I know who I'm going to call when it comes time, none other than B&H

I also must add my praise to B & H. I just received a $1,300 Canon L-series lens (EF 100-400mm IS USM) from them and the transaction was smooth as silk. Fast shipping and I had the item in just three days.

--don

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

A big thank you to all of Santa's little helpers at B&H!! I just got my EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro lens and I love it (even though I haven't had the chance to take it out yet)!!! The transaction with B&H was smooth and flawless like always. Keep up the great work B&H!
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

For me B&H is the best beside local camera retailers... what they say that what you get... no more and no less... and that's how business should be !!! And if you see some other webb based retailer like (RoyalCamera.com) whose prices way cheaper than others at least in their webb site... Those are all scambags... Anyhow, for B&H two thumbs up!!!

Living in New Jersey and shopping at B & H is great, place order on phone or internet and I receive it next day. Can't get any better than that.

I've bought a few different things from B&H. On Sunday I bought a fairly expensive lens and accessories ($2000). I had some pretty basic questions about the lens and what I'd need. The clerk wasn't very helpful like they've been in the past for me.

He then completed my order and sent me to another department for shipping. At this point I got an answering machine. I left a message and left my order number, name and phone number twice slowly on the message. I said to please call me. I called on Monday and was disconnected 5 times. At this point I wasn't even sure my order was complete. Called for the 6th time but purposely didn't go to customer service since they kept on dumping me. Got a real person, I told him what was happening, he had his boss transfer me and YEP! Disconnet #6. Today is Wed. and I still haven't heard back. My lens came today so I guess my order was processed!
    It's not blurry. It's bokeh.

Canon EOS 1D Mark IV
    Canon EOS 5D Mark II
    Canon EOS 1D Mark III
    Canon 24-70mm EF f/2.8L
    Canon 24-105mm EF f/4L IS
    Canon Zoom Telephoto EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS
    Canon 17-40mm EF f/4L
    Canon 15mm F/2.8 EF Fisheye Lens
    Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro
    Canon 50mm f/1.8
    Canon 600EX-RT Speedlite
    Canon 580EX Speedlite
    Canon EOS Rebel 300D

Thumbs up Re: B&H Photo does it again

hi ...living in perth australia....and wanting quality and good prices....wonderful packing...I have been shopping now at b+h photo for quite some time..express items have only taken five days to reach me and any second hand products I have bought are correctly described for wear or marks.Emails are answered promptly and every item has turned up...sooo happy with these guys...I won't be shopping any where else..

I agree annmerree, and welcome to another fellow aussie. Perth what a wonderful place to live, remember it well, the Swan River the Narrows and the beaches as well. I used to live in Halls Head (1990-1996) but move back to Sydney, ah the mistakes we make sometimes. If you have never been to Western Australia it is worth the drive or flight to get there and see some wonderful things and places.

Deb

Angry Re: B&H Photo does it again

Glad to hear the positive feedback about B & H from most of you.. I recently ordered a Nikon D2X and a R1C1 speedlight and have NOT been having a good experience with these people.. I cannot get a tracking number.. the product did NOT ship as promised.. when I call I'm on hold for forever.. I do not trust what these people tell me anymore.. I also cancelled an extended warranty before the chareges were put on my credit card but I have been charged for it anyway.. I am supposed to recieve the camera and flash today but I remain skeptical until I have it in my hands. This order was over $5,000.00 and am truly disappointed with the service I have recieved...

Pentax Forum Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Deb
    Glad to hear the positive feedback about B & H from most of you.. I recently ordered a Nikon D2X and a R1C1 speedlight and have NOT been having a good experience with these people.. I cannot get a tracking number.. the product did NOT ship as promised.. when I call I'm on hold for forever.. I do not trust what these people tell me anymore.. I also cancelled an extended warranty before the chareges were put on my credit card but I have been charged for it anyway.. I am supposed to recieve the camera and flash today but I remain skeptical until I have it in my hands. This order was over $5,000.00 and am truly disappointed with the service I have recieved...
    I'm sorry to hear that you are having problems with B&H...I have just put in my first order with them and got it right on schedule...my only problem is that UPS let it sit for 2 days in Illinois instead of letting me get it on Tuesday rather than today. :-( ...
    I have not had talk or email support, but so far I'm happy with my purchase and the ease of ordering online.
    I hope things start going better for you and with all of the reviews that I've read as reviews moderator, I can tell you that yours is a rare instance and so I would say...don't give up on them. They are for the most part...very reputable.
    Ken
    Ken

Click these links for the K5 Review Page and the K7 Review Page
    Remember, Reviews help keep our site free!!!

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

The K-Teams Updated Logo CLICK HERE to add a link. Many thanx go to Axle for his hard work.

Nikon Samurai #20

I order exclusively via internet with most companys, including BH. No phone hassles, and no unpleasant people. I have always had very prompt service from them. Excellent company to buy from!

Smile Re: B&H Photo does it again

;) well b+h keep the great service going on.....and on....love shopping on their website...they are always very helpful with suggestions.answer emails..even if my question is stupid..(to some-one professional) express mail is wonderful...5 days new york - perth australia...I won't be changing camera shops. They have not stuffed-up once....I have ordered over ten seperate items...and managed to pop a shop catalogue book in the mail for me. (with-out me asking..very nice of them.) What more can I say....I'm totally impressed with B+H over there

Jack of All Trades - Master of None

I have bought a few things from a JR Music and Computer world in NY. I am currently living in Baghdad (Green Zone) as a contractor and their items usually get to me in Iraq in about 6-7 days. That is remarkable if you ask me.

I will have to give B&H a try as well

Agonizing wait!!!!

You know how you are not suppose to stare at a clock or look at a kettle waiting for it to boil. There are things you should not pay attention to or else it will take forever to happen.

I placed an order with B&H Thursday afternoon PST. I received a request for order confirmation on Sunday. I called them on Monday morning to make the confirmation. I asked them when it would be mailed out. They said Monday or today. I'm constantly checking my order online to see if it will move from processing to delivered.

Even after they ship it, I only paid for UPS 3-5 days.....more waiting......

THIS IS PAINFUL!!!! :cryin:
    Canon 5D MKII & Canon 7D

More agony!!!

I used the customer service form to politely ask if my order will be shipped today. The response was:

"We processed your order and it is scheduled to be shipped today or tomorrow."

I think that is a standard line for them, "today or tomorrow."

Yes I'm impatient and too cheap to pay an extra $50 for 2 day or next day shipping...

************************ update 05/02/2007************************

It's Wednesday, May 2nd 9:55AM PST and still no notice about my order being delivered. The order status doesn't have a tracking number for me. This is driving me crazy!!!
    Last edited by poker; 05-02-2007 at 09:55 AM.
    Canon 5D MKII & Canon 7D

False alarm....

I got an email from B&H and I was sure it would be some type of delivery confirmation. It turns out it was a notification of an item being stock. Although I'm somewhat bothered by B&H right now.....I ordered the item anyway....heheheheeh....would be funny if I got this item before the first.

It's 1:30 PST and still no sign of my stuff being delivered. B&H will be closing in the east cost pretty soon. This really sucks.
    Canon 5D MKII & Canon 7D

Thumbs down You don't find anything out until you b*tch at someone...

So I see that time is ticking away for B&H to close their door for Wednesday. I still don't know what's going on. I finally decide to call up their customer service. I give them the order number and he says everything looks good and I should just wait for the tracking number via email. I start to complain (as a good customer would) about the turn around time and then he puts me on hold. I wait...I wait...I wait.....

He comes back and starts with saying, "I've updated your order to 2 DAY AIR!" Then he follows it....but two things will be missing....

I ordered two extra batteries for the unit and they won't be in it.....IN OTHER WORDS....B&H LISTED ITEMS NOT IN STOCK AND SOLD IT TO ME.....my order was stuck in limbo because they didn't have everything. The customer service email yesterday didn't go the extra mile to discover or inform me of this problem.

So I'm ok waiting for the extra batteries...and I hope to get the stuff by Friday.

Kinda sucks......
    Canon 5D MKII & Canon 7D

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information