ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>
    Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Are you giving or getting photo related items for the holidays?

Just wondering if others give/get photography related gifts this time of year?

I usually get a picture frame or a photo album but that's about it. I'm glad that's it because I'm very particular about my equipment and what I want. I think I got a frame and an album last year from my mother in law. Neither have been used. The frame is still in the box.

This will be the 4th year that I have self published a photo calendar. I give one to all of the family members, as well as my friends. This year I'm also giving a framed print to my sisters boyfriend, and a digital photo frame to my wife. We usually send out a photo card, but we haven't even thought about that yet.

So what photography related items do you give or receive?
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Re: Are you giving or getting photo related items for the holidays?

Not much giving this year, been a little busy at work and didn't think about it in time. But I did get myself a new lens that I already opened, Canon 100-400. I am still thinking of a few things for my gf and her camera.

James

Don't think I'll be getting much, if any photo gear this year. Though my sister really wants some big prints for her new house so she wants to buy me all the supplies I'll need to do so, which hopefully will include a new 16x20 archival print washer I've had a bunch of requests for prints from other family members so I bought a bunch of matting supplies and will be giving out quite a few as gifts.
    Aaron Lehoux * flickr
    Please do not edit my photos, thank you.

We generally give the relatives a little "photo book" of the kids to the relatives. I do like the idea of the calendar. Do you have these made some where or is it a program that you use?

I gave my mom a digital photo frame. And bought myself some 4gb CF cards on black Friday. And donated a matted print to be given away as a door prize for our work Christmas party.
    Troy

www.troybates.com
    When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci

I've set up a private gallery of my kids and some of my families favorites on my website and I'm taking orders for what photos they want, and I'm paying. It's there Christmas Presents.

Also my wife is buying me studio strobes as a Christmas/birthday present.
    Chris Johnson
    Nikon Samurai # 30 chrisjohnsonpic.com
    Nikon D2Xs, Nikon D50, SB-800, AF Nikkor 80-200 D ED f2.8, AF Nikkor 50 D f1.8, AF Nikkor 18-55 G ED f5.6

We'll be sending prints to the folks and cards out to a dozen or so friends/family. I won't get anything photo related, but it's just as well (for the exact reason mjs1973 noted).

Quote Originally Posted by ktreffin
    We generally give the relatives a little "photo book" of the kids to the relatives. I do like the idea of the calendar. Do you have these made some where or is it a program that you use?
    Do a google search for "Calendar printing". There are a ton of online print services that do this with lots of pre-formated templates (you just supply the images). You can also have it done at Costco or Wolf/Ritz camera stores. They usually run @ $12-$15 if I recall correctly.

I think I'm getting a Spyder monitor calibrator. I want to see what everybody else sees. - TF
    -----------------
    I am no better than you. I critique to teach myself to see.
    -----------------
    Feel free to edit my photos or do anything else that will help me learn.
    -----------------
    Sony/Minolta - way more gear than talent.

I am getting a Nikon SB800 flash and the Nikon "A Hands on guide to Creative Lighting" book and DVD. Book and DVD are already here and the flash is supposed to be here on the 12th from B&H. I also received a 22inch monitor to hook to my laptop and it is great for working on photos, Jeff

Hope everyone has a Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!
    Check out my website Here
    My Nikon D7000 Tips thread is HERE

All images posted by me anywhere are Copyrighted by Federal Law and may not be copied or used in ANY FORM without my personal written permission. Jeff Impey
    "I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days... Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days I just refuse to have Bad Ones!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

im not sure what im getting, but i had a polarizer filter for my new 70-200, and some memory cards and the nikon 200-400 lens :-D on my list. im going to give a firend a few prints.

i make sure to have the exact specs so they know exactly what i want, and they know if they can't get whats listed not to. (sometimes i even provide the website)
    check out my photography website
    http://dylanschneider.zenfolio.com/

Please feel free to edit or change any of my pictures to show me how to improve them.

Nikon D200
    Nikon D7000 w/grip
    Nikkor AF-S 18-135
    Nikkor AF-S 60mm macro 2.8
    Nikon 70-200 2.8 vr
    Nikon tc-17eII
    Kenoko extension tube set
    SB-600

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ktreffin
    I do like the idea of the calendar. Do you have these made some where or is it a program that you use?
    Like Jetrim said, there are lots of places online that will print them. You basically upload the photo you want into their template, and your done. Almost all of the ones I have found online and even at my local print shop are about $20 each.

I order mine from www.printpelican.com. The service is pretty easy to use and the more you order, the cheaper they get per unit. I have been ordering 50 calendars for the last couple of years from them. I give less than half of them away as gifts, and sell the rest.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Liz

I'm "the photographer" among our group of friends, so I'm the official "buyer" which basically means, if they are giving photo-related gifts, they ask me to choose and buy the gifts.

I found some nice deals at J&R on black Friday and cyber Monday. I picked up a bunch of PNY 2GB SD ultra fast cards for $3.99 each - and some PNY 2GB USB flash drives for the same price. Not bad.

BTW if anyone is interested, although their website says they are out of stock, if you call they still have them in stock - for the same price as they extended some of their Black Friday sales.

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by mjs1973
    Like Jetrim said, there are lots of places online that will print them. You basically upload the photo you want into their template, and your done. Almost all of the ones I have found online and even at my local print shop are about $20 each.

I order mine from www.printpelican.com. The service is pretty easy to use and the more you order, the cheaper they get per unit. I have been ordering 50 calendars for the last couple of years from them. I give less than half of them away as gifts, and sell the rest.
    Thanks mjs1973 and Jetrim, I appreciate the help.

Looks like I will be getting a Nikon D70 from my wife as a graduation, christmas, birthday, and v-day gift...we are on a tight budget. My in-laws are giving me a Nikon 50mm 1.8D for graduation...I graduate in a week. My mom will either be getting me a 18-70mm or a SB 600 flash to go with the camera. I will buy whatever she doesn't, and I have my eye on the 70-300mm VR, or the 55-200mm VR. So it looks like I will have a pretty good Christmas/Graduation/Birthday (Feb)/and V-Day.
    Hell, there are no rules here-- we're trying to accomplish something.
    Thomas A. Edison

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
    Thomas A. Edison

My family always wants a Christmas list, so I get to tell them exactly what I want as long as it's cheap by photo standards. That means I usually get some of the accessories that I'm to cheap to buy for myself. This year I asked for a shoe-mount bubble level and the mother of all photographic abominations; a Nikon to EOS lens adapter. :yikes: I think my girlfriend's mother will also be giving me her old Nikon and Pentax manual focus cameras for which details are completely unknown. Could be a jackpot or a junk pile.

Paul

we do the photo cards, still don't have the photo yet. Sometimes grandparents get a framed print.

This year I'm baking. everyone is getting cookies.
    I sleep, but I don't rest.

May the force be with you Canuck935's Avatar

I'm hoping to find time to pick out a photo for a large (16x20 - ish) print to go in my brothers office. He asked me last year, but I never did get around to it.

If I get any photo related gifts, it's usually a book or magazine subscription since I am also quite particular about my gear. I'm about to get myself a 500GB Western Digital Passport portable USB hard drive if that counts.

Talking Re: Are you giving or getting photo related items for the holidays?

Our family Christmas card this year is a collage of my images.

We also had a coffee mug made with one of my photo's on it for a friend.

And did I mention I'm getting a D300!!!

:-D
    Last edited by Speed; 12-10-2008 at 06:32 AM.
    Nikon Samurai # 1

http://mccabephotography.tripod.com

http://precisionshotsphoto.tripod.com

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry." - Thomas Jefferson

Does a video survellience system count..... it has 6 cameras

JS
    Canon 1D
    Canon 1D MK II N
    Canon 70-200mm USM IS f2.8
    Canon 200mm f1.8 USM
    Canon 300mm f2.8 USM IS
    Canon 28-300mm USM IS f3.5-5.6
    Canon 50mm f1.8
    Vivitar 19-35mm f3.5-5.6

PRB

I don't know what Christmas is going to be like this year. We've been having dinner with relatives for the past few years and calling that "Christmas."

However, I still make out a "wish list" and there's definitely LOTS of camera gear on it should there be any generous benefactors reading this -- just send me a PM and I will share my LONG, LONG list with you.
    My love for others is NOT conditional on their meeting my standards.

Thread Information